The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1996 (1 Viewer)

I

I'm Spartacus

Deleted User
Now then, this extract from the regulations specifies ALL vehicle classifications for licensing purposes.

The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1996

I take it that we all agree that a motorhome/camper/rv or whatever else you wish to call it, is a MOTOR VEHICLE.

If we do agree on this point, do we also agree that the term HGV/PSV are not recognised in the regulations?

Do we also agree that the licensing classification, since 1997 is based on permitted weights or seating capacities?

Now, ignoring all other classes and concentrating on C, C1, C1+E and C+E, how can it be argued that motorhomes/campers/rv's do not fall within these categories when reaching certain weights?

By the way, the fitment and use of tachographs has absolutely nothing to do with driver licensing, there are plenty of C and C+E vehicles that are exempt from record keeping.

Jim, apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I do feel it is too important to be closed without valid reason.

By the way I do not work for the DVLA :RollEyes:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
No apology needed. The other thread was getting a little heated so it was closed. Please feel free..

I have changed this thread title to more accurately reflect your post:Smile:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Okay, let us take the case of Mr Younglad who lives down the road from me - 22 years old married with a couple of young kids. Passed his car licence last year and has driven probably less than twenty thousand miles in his entire life. Had a bit of luck recently on the lottery and bought an old but fairly big Hymer to take his family on holiday. It's a bit too big to take to Tesco's shopping so he's going to take his car , a Renault Megane, along with him as well. The Hymer weighs in at about 4 ton and the car weighs in at about 1 ton - together the rig is about 35ft long and weighs in at about five and a bit tons overall.

We are all in agreement that he needs a C+E to drive that outfit on the road, aren't we?

That same C+E licence that will entitle him to jump into the cab of a 60ft long articulated lorry comprising of a 12 (or more) ton tractor unit connected to a triple axle trailer loaded with 30 (or more) tons of heavy goods.

Are we really saying that the very inexperienced Mr Younglad really needs the entitlement to push 40 tons of heavy metal down a motorway at 56 miles per hour (which the C+E will give him) in order to take his 5 and a bit tons of Hymer down to Devon on holiday with his family.

Well, I'm not saying that, obviously - I am still saying that the C+E is the wrong licence for Mr Motorhomer whoever he is!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
I can no longer resist joining in!

Dick, you make a very valid point, but surely that's a C1+E. I do agree with you that a C+E is OTT for driving even an RV and toad.

Having driven both wagon and drag, and artic, I find it surprising that they are covered by the same licence (C+E). The approaches to junctions, which in my view is the huge difference when driving a large vehicle of any sort, is quite different, as with the first, the trailer follows the line almost perfectly, whereas a 40foot trailer most certainly does not. I don't really think the weight issue is so important as the size (especially width). Judging road position is so different when over 8 feet wide, and the caution needed when approaching hazards is entirely foreign to car drivers.

On balance, I would prefer drivers to be "over examined" and think that a C or D licence for driving an RV, is about right. However, I can't see why the maximum trailer weight couldn't be increased to say 2000 kgs. It is absurd to need an artic qualification to tow a small car. It has no effect on either handling or road positioning, but does of course require more time to pull out of a junction!

Enough rant.

Des

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Couldn't agree more, Des - but I still stick with my original supposition - if a coach needs a Class D Licence (forget all the who-ha about paying passengers and vocational licence etc., etc., etc. - the law states - Any motor vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage of passengers having more than 8 seats in addition to the driver's seat, including such a vehicle drawing a trailer having a maximum authorised mass not exceeding 750 kilograms shall require a Class D. It doesn't say that the passengers need to be on board - but we all know that a Class D licence is for a coach because it is a vehicle built for a special purpose and therefore has it's own licence category.

In the same way it doesn't say that a class C licence is for an HGV BUT we all know that a Class C is designed for HGV whether it be class C or C+E because the HGV vehicles are special purpose vehicles and therefore have a licence category of their own.

Well, a motorhome is a special purpose vehicle also and therefore should have it's own class of licence. OKAY - have a licence for a small motorhome as well as a separate licence for a large motorhome BUT let us make the requirements of the licence more pertinent to a motorhome than an HGV!

Question: If an HGV is exactly the same class and licence as a motorhome - why is a 14 ton HGV subject to different speed limits to a 14 ton motorhome?

If you only need a class D to drive a coach with fee paying passengers actually onboard- what licence do you need to drive it when there are no fee paying passengers onboard (i.e no passengers at all) - when surely it should revert to the same class as an HGV or motorhome. Well, of course it doesn't. because it is a special vehicle whether it has passengers on board or not - and so is my RV (or at least it should be)

Now that is absolutely my last post on this subject as it is getting exceeding boring and repetitive. No matter what I say certain people will not change their minds and no matter what they say - neither will I change my mind.

And as sure as eggs is eggs - whatever either of us says - it will not make one iota of difference to DVLA or whoever decides these things at the Office.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And as sure as eggs is eggs - whatever either of us says - it will not make one iota of difference to DVLA or whoever decides these things at the Office.

I'll buy that for a dollar $$$$$$
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back