The Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the World (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Wow!

This link is handy for anyone that complains about our motorhome fuel consumption. And the ships are probably bringing all the computer kit over from Asia that people use to post their complaints about fuel consumption!

Rog

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
I would really be interested to see the manufacturing machinery. Is the crank a single billet and just how is it machined?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
:Eeek: blimey the head torque bolts on that:Doh:

ray

Zozzer

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leigh, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not Long Enough
I would really be interested to see the manufacturing machinery. Is the crank a single billet and just how is it machined?

I work in whats left of the diesel engine manufacturing industry, mainly marine, rail traction, and power generation. Yes, I'm told that this crank was made from a single billet. Although large, the manufacture wil remain the same as a small crank. Each journal will be individually drop forged untill all the journals forged. Then the billet will be gripped whilst other journals are twisted by rotating through 60 degrees untill the crankshaft take on
its more common apperance. Machining done in a number of stages, rough turning, finish turning on a lathe. Next comes grinding of the main bearing diameters followed by the bearing journal. Next the crank is balanced on machine called a dynomometer, sometimes a crankshaft will bend during
manufacture, so it needs to checked and straightened if needed. Finally the crank is checked for any cracks which may cause it to fail durng service.

I've worked on some very large marine engines in my time, but nothing on this scale. No wonder they are called Cathedrals.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back