The Mosel without an Umwelt Zone sticker (1 Viewer)

Nov 9, 2012
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1995
Off in a few days so no time to get one by post.
Is it possible to go in to Germany via Luxemburg and follow the Mosel to Cochem
and then back in to France without the sticker.
Just looking at options having thought that we were staying in the UK.

John

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We went through Germany and tried on numerous occasions to get the sticker from garages. We were told there was no space on their forms to put our details, so not to worry. We even stopped at a huge Police Vehicle Inspection office where police officers were stopping lorries etc, and asked the police men in the office. In perfect english we were told not to worry, if it is enforced it's only in the really busy cities at the height of summer when the pollution is a problem. We were travelling in May. If you are concerned, and you still want to travel through Germany there is a list of cities that have the Umwelt Zone, and usually a big Vehicle Inspection depot on the motorway outside the city. Stop there and go in and ask the police as we did. Hope that helps, and above all - enjoy your trip! (y)

OP
OP
W
Nov 9, 2012
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1995
Thanks Geraldine its only the Mosel we want to do again this time.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I don't think you will have any problems. I was really worried that we didn't have it, but after trying my hardest to buy one and being rebuffed at every turn, we just kept out of the major cities and the ones we did venture into weren't a problem anyway. We did the Rhine and the Romantic Road - it was beautiful. Have a lovely time.:)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Hi, I was at Enkirch in June, got one from the car dealership there. I had also been to another dealership in Zell the previous day when out on my bike, they also did them but I didn't have my logbook with me. Seemed pretty easy to get one (y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I did Trier to Koblenz and back via Luxembourg recently and nothing but road tax and smiley badge in the window

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Don't think there are any areas on the Mosel where you will need the Umwelt sticker
I got mine from Berlin City Council who have a website where you can fill in the details and pay and if memory serves the sticker arrived three days later.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Was once told by wife of a German road police officer that they've got more to do than waste time looking for Umwelt stickers. As Cliffandger says, probably only in bigger cities in high season. I got one from the Berlin website

www.berlin.de/labo/kfz/dienstleistungen/feinstaubplakette.shop.en.php

sent them a 5 euro note, came back in 3 days.

OP
OP
W
Nov 9, 2012
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1995
Thank you all very much,
John
Ps I do not have the facility to make a pdf etc.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
All decent size German town will have a TUV which is the German MOT testing station. They all sell Umwelt stickers if you produce you registration document. 12 euros of if they like the look of you 5.

micky drip

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
mid wales
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
5 years
I am in Wintritch on the Mosel as I write this, never heard of any sutch sticker none of the German vans have them, and believe me there are a lot of them.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We went all the way to the black forest last year coming back via Cochem.

Our Funster sticker was the only extra we had.

No problems encountered.

I am sure that it is only the big cities that have the Umwelt zones. (y)

Viking

Free Member
Oct 1, 2014
Funster No
not needed i had one untill new screen fitted only the center of big towns unwelcome zones no problem on mosel or rhine if you pass atuv station you can buy one but a couple of weeks ago inremagen a german camper owner said it applys only to german registerd campers not 100 pc on this info though enjoy the mosel we are there in a week or two

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
We went to the Mosel in May, a little worried as we had no umweltzone sticker. However half way along the Mosel there is a fiat commercial garage ( ideal if you have Ducato probs (we didn't ) we got a sticker from them for 5€
However we didn't need it at all during the trip. Glad we got it for next time though.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Look out for TUV stations on route (there MOT stations) takes 5 minutes and costs 5 euro.....

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Off in a few days so no time to get one by post.
Is it possible to go in to Germany via Luxemburg and follow the Mosel to Cochem
and then back in to France without the sticker.
Just looking at options having thought that we were staying in the UK.

John

Yes it is.

And buy some wine here........

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=49.794061,6.818122&spn=0.001448,0.002473&t=h&z=19

Wine to die for and a good stellplatz as well.

robarb38

Free Member
Mar 8, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
"since 1984"
Just go into any main dealer of your particular m/h (Fiat, Mercedes, Peugeot ECT) and they will do one for you there, I got mine in near Cochem for free (mercedes)

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
What would be the colour of the sticker for my Peugot Boxer 2005 2.2 td Apparently still allowed into London.
I try to keep on the motorways in Germany but did once stray into a city and saw the signs but just had to go with
the flow never heard anything from the powers that be

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We had one for the previous van, and decided we didnt really need it for the new one as we dont often venture into the city centres in the MH.

So - not deliberately but to my knowledge I went though one in Stutgart 2 years ago and in Dortmund a few weeks ago. havent heard anything from either one.

As the UK opted out of the requirement to share vehicle registeration details, think you'll be very unlucky to have a problem.

There are those on here (frequently those who dont go out of UK) who will have you believe that there is a posse of gendarmes and vopo's just waiting to pull your motorhome apart and check your triangle and your breathalyser etc etc etc.

Do your best to stay legal (like you hopefully do in UK) and have a nice holiday.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi we have been to Germany as number of times in the last few years passing through major cities and we have never bought a umwelt zone sticker. Last time we were over there we got pulled and nicked by the police for towing a car on an a frame and had to uncouple and drive the car across the boarder, but no mention of a umwelt sticker, and we were with the police for quite a while discussing variants of German law compared to other eu countries.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Was in Luxembourg last week and in the motorway services there are machines to pay a toll for anything over 3.5 t, but on it , it said starting from 1 St July , as it was still June and we are under weight anyway didn't read it throughly but another thing to look at.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Was in Luxembourg last week and in the motorway services there are machines to pay a toll for anything over 3.5 t, but on it , it said starting from 1 St July , as it was still June and we are under weight anyway didn't read it throughly but another thing to look at.
Well, unless there is a means to cough up the toll fee whilst motoring through from Belgium in September, we might get away with it. No doubt, we'll get caught when we stop at Magellan Services for the cheaper fuel. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

I dont think the german toll for lighter vehicles is starting yet, but they have had one for 12t and over for years and I believe that is reducing to 7.5tonne from october.

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Just home yesterday from 5 weeks - mostly in Mosel area, no need to pay another tax! None of the German vans had them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back