Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
... and it's goodnight from him.

We've given up, and we're checking out tomorrow. The evening entertainment is one thing and, to be honest, doesn't bother us that much as the noise isn't too bad once we're inside with the door shut. What we've found unacceptable is the extremely loud bass drum noise from music being played during the day. That, coupled with a dozen or more shouted announcements per hour from their own tannoy system, we found very annoying. Today, they used the tannoy to play something that sounded like a penny whistle through it.

We had a chat with reception this afternoon. They accepted that there wasn't anything they can do about it, and offered us another pitch away from the noise. We sat and discussed it for some time, and decided that if we were going to uproot our windbreaks, storage tent and groundsheet, we might as well move on. While we were there, we cancelled our booking for next year too. That's not to say we won't come, but we've been so disappointed by that fact that Marjal booked this rally in, but seemingly have no control over how much upset they cause existing people on the site.

As we packed up tonight, our area of the site looks like a ghost town, as everyone has moved off or onto other pitches to get away from the noise.

Having made the decision to leave, we were not surprised to see a sound system in a home-made wooden box on wheels being trundled into the washing-up area next to us, where rallyists line danced to "Achey Breaky Heart" and other choice songs. After about 20 minutes of this, the sound system, still playing music, was trundled to a pitch a couple of rows behind us.

To be clear, the quantity of people here isn't a problem to us. For the most part, people have brought their families away, and are enjoying it. Kids are cycling around in relative safety, and people are chatting and having a good time. But I feel Marjal didn't think the ramifications through of bringing in a group with their own entertainment marquee and tannoy, and seemingly no restrictions on their use, onto a commercial site.

End of grump. Onwards, and probably northwards ...

Gerald

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Gerald & Annie. Tess, I am sure, will be grateful too! Happy Travels, that is the great thing about this.... you can move on! Jane :Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Having made the decision to leave, we were not surprised to see a sound system in a home-made wooden box on wheels being trundled into the washing-up area next to us, where rallyists line danced to "Achey Breaky Heart" and other choice songs. After about 20 minutes of this, the sound system, still playing music, was trundled to a pitch a couple of rows behind us.

Gerald

Definately time to leg it::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Gerald and Annie sounds like you are best out of there. Easter break has a long way to go yet!!. Safe travels:thumb:

NB: they did not offer you a pitch at their quieter Guardemar site then? Probably full for easter too.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Gerald, Annie and Tess, Sorry that you are leaving us, it was great meeting up with you and we have enjoyed your company over the past weeks. We look forward to meeting up with you again some time in the future.
Safe travels.
Brisey & Pam.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Bummer although got to Spain in time just to far for me to make tail end.

Oh well next year.

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009
... and it's goodnight from him.

We've given up, and we're checking out tomorrow. The evening entertainment is one thing and, to be honest, doesn't bother us that much as the noise isn't too bad once we're inside with the door shut. What we've found unacceptable is the extremely loud bass drum noise from music being played during the day. That, coupled with a dozen or more shouted announcements per hour from their own tannoy system, we found very annoying. Today, they used the tannoy to play something that sounded like a penny whistle through it.

We had a chat with reception this afternoon. They accepted that there wasn't anything they can do about it, and offered us another pitch away from the noise. We sat and discussed it for some time, and decided that if we were going to uproot our windbreaks, storage tent and groundsheet, we might as well move on. While we were there, we cancelled our booking for next year too. That's not to say we won't come, but we've been so disappointed by that fact that Marjal booked this rally in, but seemingly have no control over how much upset they cause existing people on the site.

As we packed up tonight, our area of the site looks like a ghost town, as everyone has moved off or onto other pitches to get away from the noise.

To be clear, the quantity of people here isn't a problem to us. For the most part, people have brought their families away, and are enjoying it. Kids are cycling around in relative safety, and people are chatting and having a good time. But I feel Marjal didn't think the ramifications through of bringing in a group with their own entertainment marquee and tannoy, and seemingly no restrictions on their use, onto a commercial site.

End of grump. Onwards, and probably northwards ...

Gerald

Sorry to see you go and sorry we won't have a chance on this occasion to return your hospitality. - which we very much enjoyed.

I can appreciate how annoying the portable tannoy was, although I wouldn't have minded joining in the line-dancing! I must say, being a few more rows away from the rally and with the toilet block in between, does seem make a difference and we haven't been inconvenienced - yet! It even made the fife and drums ensemble hilarious......

Have a safe journey home and hope to catch up with you again before too long.

Carolyn :Smile:

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009
Sorry to see you go and sorry we won't have a chance on this occasion to return your hospitality. - which we very much enjoyed.

I can appreciate how annoying the portable tannoy was, although I wouldn't have minded joining in the line-dancing! I must say, being a few more rows away from the rally and with the toilet block in between, does seem make a difference and we haven't been inconvenienced - yet! It even made the fife and drums ensemble hilarious......

Have a safe journey home and hope to catch up with you again before too long.

Carolyn :Smile:

Forgot to say that I quite agree with you on the fact that Marjal should be able to control what goes on here. It is a ridiculous situation as you say that such a rally can have a major impact on other campers.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Pat4Neil leave

Pat and Neil have just left :Sad:
That leaves 3 of us now,but don't worry,"we'll be all right on our own" ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
And then there were three

Pat & Neil have just left Marjal, sorry to see you go guys.:cry: Safe travels, see you soon. :thumb:
That leaves just the three of us here at Marjal, but are we worried :whatthe: No way, :RollEyes: We will continue to fly the Fun flag at Marjal ,:Cool: We will survive.:winky:

Brisey & Pam.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Pat & Neil have just left Marjal, sorry to see you go guys.:cry: Safe travels, see you soon. :thumb:
That leaves just the three of us here at Marjal, but are we worried :whatthe: No way, :RollEyes: We will continue to fly the Fun flag at Marjal ,:Cool: [HI]We will survive[/HI].:winky:

Brisey & Pam.

...as will QPR... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Sep 30, 2008
Funster No
Bit late.... but many thanks to Jim and Sian for organising the Marjal rally.

This was our first rally with the funsters and we had a great time.

20 nights for 227 euros . fully serviced pitch, english telly, almost faultless wi fi, 16 amp

leccy, spa, pool, sports................I'm so depressed.........Can't find a campsite to equal it

and haven't found one in the past in Spain. Not for 11 euros a night.

Marjal .. bit out of the way, but walking distance to cafes, restaurents, shops etc.

Car rental 90 euros per week

One hour drive to Benidorm.....Altea..... etc. Just thought I'd remind everybody. ha ha

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Thanks for the reminder he says sat back home in the UK. :Sad::cry::rain: Bob. :ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Bit late.... but many thanks to Jim and Sian for organising the Marjal rally.

This was our first rally with the funsters and we had a great time.

20 nights for 227 euros . fully serviced pitch, english telly, [HI]almost faultless wi fi,[/HI] 16 amp

leccy, spa, pool, sports................I'm so depressed.........Can't find a campsite to equal it

and haven't found one in the past in Spain. Not for 11 euros a night.

Marjal .. bit out of the way, but walking distance to cafes, restaurents, shops etc.

Car rental 90 euros per week

One hour drive to Benidorm.....Altea..... etc. Just thought I'd remind everybody. ha ha

So it was you nicking all MY bandwidth then...:Sad:

JJ :Cool:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I don't know if I said it before but I'll say it again anyway. A big thank you to Jim and Sian for your hard work and to the cooks and to Amanda for playing triominoes so well and to Cap'n Pugwash for his enthusiasm and forebearance when playing tennis and boules. Also to Chris and Fran for taking us out in the car, the many cups of coffee and their left over nosh when they'd gone. It was lovely to meet Frankie, JJ and all the others I'd never met and those I had. What a great time we had. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi guys, I posted a goodbye on the thread but its been lost, just got some more wifi.

Well we are now near Garrucha near Almeria, the sun is shinning and the birds are happy, such a lot of wildlife around the van, something that was missing at Marjal.

We have some fantastic cycle tracks right outside the campsite, glimpses or the sea and the beach across the road, there is miles and miles of beaches, some lovely little coves, and if you head up towards Garrucha lots of restaurants and lovely paved promenades.

Been out on the cycle track this morning and came back via the beach, which was lovely. We found a little cove last night and tried some sea fishing, no luck with catching anything but I read a couple of chapters of my book.
Having a fab time, miss the gym and swimming at Marjal, but it was time to go. Think we at this campsite for at least easter, not as cheap as marjal 16.80 euros if you stay three nights and no ehu, but we have plenty of sun and a new place to discover.

Pat and Neil

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
Just to finish off ... we're home :RollEyes:

Many, many thanks to Jim and Sian for all of their hard work getting this together. We had a brilliant time.

I'm sorry for my grumpy last post here - we were a bit fed up. And no, we weren't offered a space at Guardamar. I think, to be honest, we'd probably done all we wanted to do.

On the way back, we stopped at a lovely little Spanish aire at Els Muntells, before hightailing it over the border to greenery, and Le Boulou (one of our favourite places). Thence on to Narbonne Plage for a while, and Remoulins, before getting to another of our favourite places, Malaucéne. Then to Nyons and Crest, where we were able to use the town free WiFi to check the long rain weather forecast for a dozen areas of France, all of which were rain, wind, and more rain. So we decided to head home (where the forecast was better than Biarritz or the Cote d'Azur). One hop to Landres, then to Ardres for the vet, and overnight at Gravelines before the tunnel home.

A really great holiday, but without doubt the highlight was the Funsters Marjal meet.

Gerald

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It was great to meet you guys properly, glad you enjoyed the rally, we did too, though its seems an age ago now that we were soaking up the sun there. :thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
2013 RE-UNION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb::thumb: ???????????????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back