The Man in The Next Bed......... (1 Viewer)

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Could write a book and that's from the nursing perspective! Hated working night duty when there was a full moon as definitely busier and people more loopy :eek: One ward was so busy that we had extra beds put up in the centre of the ward. One poor man got up in the middle of the night to the toilet and when he came back there was someone else installed in his bed!

Kath

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Welcome back Toots.

I've got a saying; "Hospital is NOT the place to be when you're sick!"
This is based on both being an in-patient myself, AND ferrying people in and out of damned hospitals for 30 years in my previous line of work.

D'you know the type that really pisses me off? The 'professional patient'. Here's how they start.....

"New are we? Anything you want to know, just ask ol' Tom"
"I'm a miracle man, me...oh yes"
"I've been under the knife so many times, Sheffield almost ran out of steel"
"DIED on the table three times y'know. 'Course they brought me back. Doc said I'm a marvel"
" Student doctors? They LOVE me. They're welcome round my bed any time. My condition foxes 'em all"

At this stage, with his arse hanging out of his NHS gown, he proceeds to give a guided tour of his scars!

Not happy with that, he then lists all his med's - mostly getting the names wrong....
"Had a rip-roaring infection after me last Op'. Had to go on Penycillian....... Those Stereo tablets make me put on weight too, but who cares, at least I'm around eh? EH?"

And so it goes on. He's the first one at 6am to say 'MORNING - you're awake then?' and the last thing you hear at night; until, that is, you lose the will to live!!
Amen to that Mr Wingman. I was in for just ONE night after having one of them there peacemakers fitted.(On a good day, I can now receive radio 2!). Over the years, my daughter, mother or two of my sisters have had to spend months at a time in hospitals. Soul destroying.:confused:

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
having one of them there peacemakers fitted.

Like this??? :Eeek:

sw.jpg

plumbomb

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2013
I spent 11years working for the maintenance departments in two of Sheffield hospitals,best jobs I every had but I would have to be on deaths door to be a patient in any hospital

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Tootsy ... just a thought ... if you want something a bit more 'comfortable' for a while how about an inflatable instrument instead of your brass one!

Inflatable-Trumpet-[1]-56-p.jpg

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Amen to that Mr Wingman. I was in for just ONE night after having one of them there peacemakers fitted.(On a good day, I can now receive radio 2!). Over the years, my daughter, mother or two of my sisters have had to spend months at a time in hospitals. Soul destroying.:confused:

sw-jpg.53673

Only been back 5 minutes and Tootles is already pushing Rule 1. :LOL:

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
Absolutely priceless...and laughter is always the best medicine! So looking forward to meeting as many of you as I can when out & about in my mh. Just to put your faces to your names...& those wonderful sense of humours! Fantastic! (y):):) Ps Hope you're well on the mend tootles :)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Oh Dear! I have only read the first page and won't go on, I could be traumatised for ever!
Ok France is not the best when it comes to have a French registration for a coming in the country old German van.... BUT ..... when it comes to hospital ...I dare say I have never either visited someone in the situation you have described Tootles (neither those described by other funsters!)nor have I ever been spending some time in a French hospital in such conditions .... It's really scary! Is it always like that? Can't you have a bedroom just for you? It seldom happens here to have 2 people in the same bedroom let alone 3 or even more !

Welcome back Tootles ! I wish you to always stay at home and never have to stay in hospital anymore!!

Amicalement

Frankie(y)(y)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
welcome back it is really great to get out. when I was there as said you can not sleep. we had one old man that got lost every night. two others that used to moan and moan. then on the third night. it went quite. and when I got woken up for the blood pressure. the two moaners had died. and they could not find the wanderer. as I lay there slightly shell shocked. they brought in another poor guy, when they went to put him on the bed he died. so they took him away. two more died in that week. then joy behold they said I could go home. the sister quick go before its your turn. been back again but put in a another ward. lets hope you don't have to go back.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
LOL at The Professional Patient, loved the stereo tablets.

When Pete broke his ribs and squished his lung, he was in the cardio-thoracic ward with all the heart bypasses and stuff. An old Irish guy came out of ICU into the bed opposite. Next day they'd removed most of his tubes and wires and he was awake and alert. Deaf as a post though so wasn't really having too much conversation with his fellow inmates.

They came round with the drugs trolley and he was querying whether he still had to take one of the things he'd been on before his op. What was it Mr Murphy? He couldn't remember. Was it this or that? Blank. Was it dispersible aspirin? Ah yes nurse, dat was it! you're right! - disposable aspirin!

We've always called it that since then .....

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
how about an inflatable instrument
Thanks Minxy. The doctor has said that everything will inflate again once the bruising goes down........:):):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back