The Longest Motorhome Journey, can you top it? (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
This was a long time ago when my brothers brother-in-law and his girlfriend, both in their twenties drove their VW camper from London to Australia. Obviously they had a couple of short sea journey's from Asia to the coast of Australia but they got as close as was physically possible to Aus before taking to the water.
Anyone else attempted such a trip?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I spoke to a couple of brits who did this when I was in Oz. She was cutting my hair, they took in lots of places, and took them about a year, sounded great.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I came across a couple of aussies in a Australian registered demountable on a toyota pick up in Jaca, Northern spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
I came across a couple of aussies in a Australian registered demountable on a toyota pick up in Jaca, Northern spain.
Think it might be the same couple who stored it at wellington, hr had a map on the back of it for the route from aus to uk, total respect

Jan 26, 2020
Marske-by-the-Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toscana 715
Exp
caravanned 59,000 klms right round Australia..does that count?
Nothing on that scale, but returned a Wicked Campervan back to it's depot {cheap one way hire}....Cooktown FNQ to Perth WA via Darwin abt..... 7000 klms

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
In 2010, we went to Texas, bought a pickup truck, drove up to Oklahoma to by a demountable camper, picked up Route 66 in Oklahoma, drove all the way on Route 66 to the end in Los Angeles, taking in Grand Canyon on the way, drove up to Yellowstone National Park, then north to Canada and went to the Calgary stampede, drove all the way up to Alaska, spent a month touring Alaska, drove back down to Montana, across the top of the States to Ontario in Canada to visit family then onto Niagara Falls, after that to Chicago to pick up the beginning of Route 66, drove that where possible back to Oklahoma where we started, back down to Texas, then shipped the rig out of Galveston back to the UK. All tolled 17,000 miles.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
This was a long time ago when my brothers brother-in-law and his girlfriend, both in their twenties drove their VW camper from London to Australia. Obviously they had a couple of short sea journey's from Asia to the coast of Australia but they got as close as was physically possible to Aus before taking to the water.
Anyone else attempted such a trip?

Sorry, posted this by mistake as not a motorhome but might be of interest to some people.
Just finished reading a self-published book by Jo Hicks ‘It Takes A Year’. In 1961 she and her husband James made their way from London back to his home country Australia in a Morris Traveller, mainly using it as their overnight accommodation. Really enjoyed it.

F3E15AF2-701C-430C-B919-2D4E3AC452C8.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back