The Locals are not happy in Dunkirk. (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

Please find below a translated copy of the local newspaper in the Dunkirk area.

No opinion from me, just for info. Regards

Region> Dunkirk and surrounding> Grand-Fort-Philippe

Motorhomes: Urban Community of Dunkirk wants to address the problem of illegal parking
PUBLISHED ON 08.21.2015

BY OLIVIER DUFOURG

React
The newspaperof the day from0.79
Gravelines in Bray-Dunes via Malo, and Leffrinckoucke Zuydcoote, illegal parking of motorhomes is a problem that has never been solved. Spurred Dhersin Franck, Vice President for Tourism and Recreation CUD, a reflection will be launched in September.
In many seaside towns, illegal parking of motor homes became, according to some politicians, "a real affair of state" or even a debate that turned into agonizing drama. On the one hand ? Traders who see a good eye the arrival of potential customers. On the other ?Extremely unhappy residents of that link a visual invasion (unpacking tables, chairs, barbecues under their windows) and the discharge of waste water and waste oil into the gutter. And in the middle? Conscious of elected caused discomfort and at the same time, the economic benefits for their communities.

Direction camping ...

Illustration of this problem to Grand-Fort-Philippe when campers are becoming more numerous, according to the mayor, Sony Clinquart. In the absence of suitable parking area, the chosen, anxious to reassure the locals while wishing to retain the tourist (summer in Grand-Fort has never been as lively as this year), had to first moved the location previously reserved for motorhomes (flaccid Spaniards) to the seafront boulevard Marchal.

Only problem? "The regulations are very strict, and as for the flange to the Spanish, the place chosen by my predecessor (Joel Demazières) Marchal Boulevard is within a perimeter of 500 m around a preserved site," says Sony Clinquart. And if we add that some sectors of Grand-Fort are classified into flood zones (which led to the cancellation of real estate programs), we say that the problem is the puzzle ...

Pending a definitive solution, that could be realized thanks to the approach initiated by the urban community (read below), Sony Clinquart and his team decided to focus motorhomes to the municipal campground Beach (83 pitches, 60 of which can accommodate): "Uponreflection, it turned out that my city enjoyed a campsite with public service delegation. We therefore turned to his manager to establish a fair partnership, which means that the motorhome are invited to head this equipment at a great price, including toilet and small logistics. "

Meanwhile, the elected continues to look for another site that would allow a parking by the day, from 8 am to 19 pm for example. "We have targeted one or two courses, but have not yet arrested any choice." And the mayor insisted, "It is time to stop the bickering and discord around a true concern about it, but compared to the difficulties in perspective of our territory."

A working meeting in late September
What is the availability of parking for campers in the area? What are the needs in the municipalities concerned (Gravelines, Grand-Fort-Philippe, Dunkirk Bray-Dunes, Zuydcoote and Leffrinckoucke)? What can be the accompanying measures proposed by the CUD? These questions will be listed on the agenda of a meeting to be held Monday, September 28th, at the community hotel, at the invitation of Franck Dhersin Mayor Téteghem and vice president of the Metropolitan Dunkirk (CUD), in charge of Tourism and Recreation.

"Today we are in a phase of listening to make all the right decisions, says the one. Our approach has real economic sense because of the motorhome market, which is experiencing strong growth, is our territory a real opportunity for tourism development, economic benefits and jobs. But today, what's happening? We see tens of thousands of motorhome passing on the A16 and three-quarters who never stop! "

Keen to organize, support and define a policy for the level of the agglomeration, the CUD is therefore organizing this first working meeting to which are invited elected officials and managers of campsites. "There will perhaps not an area in each municipality for the hour is pooling "concludes Franck Dhersin. This means that Gravelines Grand Fort and could maybe even have a common area, as Bray-Dunes and Zuydcoote or Malo and Leffrinckoucke. The objective is to develop areas within two or three years.

Parking: What the law says
A camper owners can park in one place for up to 72 hours, "provided that it does so as a normal vehicle, that is to say without deploying his footstool in its hold, its canopy and without unpacking anything on the public highway (tables, chairs, barbecues, etc.) "illustrates Jean-Pierre Tessier, manager of the municipal campsite Plage, Grand-Fort-Philippe. He added: "At national level, illegal parking of campers representing a loss of 4,000 seasonal jobs and 11 million euros for communities."

If it does not meet these obligations outside the reserved areas, the camper owners be fined, and beyond a week of parking, removal of the vehicle.

Forgot to mention, the newspaper was : http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Illustration of this problem to Grand-Fort-Philippe when campers are becoming more numerous, according to the mayor, Sony Clinquart. In the absence of suitable parking area, the chosen, anxious to reassure the locals while wishing to retain the tourist (summer in Grand-Fort has never been as lively as this year), had to first moved the location previously reserved for motorhomes (flaccid Spaniards) to the seafront boulevard Marchal.

I wonder how happy the Spaniards will be about being described this way? :whistle:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Sorry I've read this but don't understand it, are they against mh parking or for it
parking is legal . camping isnt .
they tell you how to park .
putting chairs etc outside or leveling blocks ramps or legs is camping .
camping isnt legal.
its easy. park dont camp.
all over the eu m,homers camp when they should park .
parking is legal .
years ago momo put up the spanish 08/v-74 instructions . its almost the same all over the eu. it was written with eu guidance and works . it works . i have shown it to many police all over europe and got left alone .
it makes sense to follow it .

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
parking is legal . camping isnt .
they tell you how to park .
putting chairs etc outside or leveling blocks ramps or legs is camping .
camping isnt legal.
its easy. park dont camp.
all over the eu m,homers camp when they should park .
parking is legal .
years ago momo put up the spanish 08/v-74 instructions . its almost the same all over the eu. it was written with eu guidance and works . it works . i have shown it to many police all over europe and got left alone .
it makes sense to follow it .

Just a question for those 99% who are more experienced than I at 'Parking'? abroad.

Would the use of external screens across the front windscreen etc. constitute an infringement? of the concept of,Parking -V- Camping. Just asking.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Just a question for those 99% who are more experienced than I at 'Parking'? abroad.

Would the use of external screens across the front windscreen etc. constitute an infringement? of the concept of,Parking -V- Camping. Just asking.

No IMO I dont think screens make any diference.

I have stayed on Aires with enough space to camp.
It all depends which aire and how busy it is.
If its a lage grass field with very few MH's does it hurt to wind out the Prostore.
But if its a very busy aire and two people do this thats a space gone.
All aires are just about respect for the next man or woman.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

No we use our screens on Aires once the warm weather has passed stops condensation so do 90% of vans you see.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child

yes i believe they do. the cab needs to be ready to jump in and drive .
the lowered beds in hymers at the front break the rules on parking .
screens do. etc . its hard to say as would you put them on if parking?
you might put sunscreens during the day.
imagine you are the police . cab crtains and screen up. camping . if you can shine a torch through the cab door windows but not see in the back are they camping or parking . but it does look like a parked vehicle drive on leave alone .
dont confuse using aires with free parking .
in an aire you can use screens .
if and when cars take to putting silver screens up when parking then it would be ok . untill then think parking . would you put screens up and then go shopping . i dont think so. its only a game . authority and us play.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
"Imagine you are the police".

Errr. Not difficult. Past tense, but not difficult.

Your comments exactly echo my thoughts as well. We have internal concertina blinds but they could be moved in the blink of an eye without leaving the van.
Bit difficult with the external ones.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003

Good question,
The theory is, as vwalan states, that you should be ready to roll when asked to do so.
I actually asked a police officer in Gijon whether I could leave my motorhome parked with the screen and he said that as long as we were within the parking line demarcations we were fine. I think that this is very much an individual officer's interpretation which is risky and would not hold water if challenged somewhere else. (This same officer did not see levelling chocks as an issue either but this will certainly not be universal.)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
"Imagine you are the police".

Errr. Not difficult. Past tense, but not difficult.
so give us your thoughts on it.
i have a mate thats ex police so he gives his ideas on thoughts etc .
always need more though.
might catch up with you some where if your over this winter .
have fun drive safe . see you in lidls . ha ha .

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Sorry for the delay. Trying to knock the garden into shape before our next travels.
Thoughts of Chairman Emmit.
I'm with the french when they say "Don't get your chairs, tables etc out on an Aire 'cos that's camping.
It's not difficult to seperate yourself away from the 'van with a chair and therefore give no one the chance to say you are camping.
I have difficulty with ramps and rear steadies. Thats probably because our Hobby slopes to the front and therefore I could use ramps to get the old girl level. However, that isn't a problem because invariably a slope one way can be used to advantage pointing in the other direction.
I fail to see where the use of rear steadies could be construed as 'Camping' In our case it merely stops the van from rocking about Ooh er Missus??? And, if something should happen, we can drive off trailing the steadies, making a terrible racket in our wake.
We have (as mentioned) got internal concertina blinds. I fail to see how this could be thought of as Camping, but, being an awkward sod, I could understand when Monsewer Flik thinks exterior window covers are used in a camping sense.

There you have it, my thoughts. Feel free to stow thrones. I'm a thick tyke and can take it.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Not France or police but a similar situation. I was chatting to a relative who is the authority on the ground at a large reservoir that is popular with tourists and bird watchers. I asked him about wildcamping.

If I am asked I say no he said but went on to say that in practice he sees it regularly and unless there is obvious abuse turns a blind eye and tells his staff to as well. Although they will all say no if asked he said with a wink.:)

Dick

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, its just in the 08/v-74 instructions if translated to english . page 4 mentions leveling devices arent allowed .
having said that if your vehicle is over 3,500kg gvw its compulsory to carry wedges to be used if on a marked slope.but you cant use stones or other items notintended for the purpose.
there is or was translations of it on here somewhere . sorry i,m a bit computer illiterate .
i did deliberately get arrested in 2009 and used the instructions as my get out . the guardia actually contacted the interiour minister to verify . i had requested a copy from his office . it was in spanish .
silly part was the local guardia at aguilas hadnt seen a copy . they took me back to the camper and apologized . the next year the same one laughingly told us towels outside camping . put towel inside and put kettle on . we had a coffee and a laugh.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not France or police but a similar situation. I was chatting to a relative who is the authority on the ground at a large reservoir that is popular with tourists and bird watchers. I asked him about wildcamping.

If I am asked I say no he said but went on to say that in practice he sees it regularly and unless there is obvious abuse turns a blind eye and tells his staff to as well. Although they will all say no if asked he said with a wink.:)

Dick
Official responses from water companies are Here. Note the United Utilities response. Any rise in abuse and we are likely to see complete bans at all reservoir sites.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
This post will be probably not be of use to the majority of Funsters who always follow ALL the rules and regulations where ever they are, but in my experience, what the "rules" and "regulations" say you can, or cannot do, often bears no relation at all to what can actually be done in reality.

We have just spent several days parked by a superb lake where the signs clearly state "No Swimming" and "No Camping" but several motorhomes were there over night and loads and loads of people were swimming and dun bathing and no one bothered any of them.

In the Eastern Algarve, (Mr Matamoros country), the tourist village of Cabanas has signs up saying "No Camper Vans".

That includes driving them through the place!

However, off season, I have often visited friends there, spent money there, parked (and slept) overnight there and never been bothered by anyone.

Consideration and a bit of sense often works... I would never drive my Hymer into Cabanas at the weekend during the summer...

Mind you, I did have a wee in a hedge there in the middle of a very dark night once!

JJ :cool:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just remember it is 7 years old now . best not totally rely on it as true gospel but it is a good guide .
in the early days it hadnt been given out to all the authorities . these days most will know it .there as been other bits on the web from the police in spain on the n10 route . they have a paper or web site that seems to agree with 08v-74 . but have a good read its hard as the translations arent good .
i hope you get the gist of it . but you can always ask . over the years i think i have an idea of how they work it . mind we have been told in a few areas one night is enough then we must move. mind we do come back a week later again and again . in some places we move from one edge of a town to the other side of the town alternately . the police smile and wave at us . some do actually stop as they know us from other years . very often will say go to this place or that place you will be ok there . in some places they invite us into their own station carpark . dont know if its for safety or ease for them . in one place if you dont park outside their station they tell you to go ,move .
have fun .

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Anyone seen or have an English translation of the doc?

I removed my comment as I hadn't noticed the assistance already given.

However, could I commend to all the following Facebook page which has been created by the Spanish Directorate of Traffic. It gives good advice specifically for road users there.
https://www.facebook.com/DGTes

I've asked an ex colleague who now lives in Spain to ask them if there's been an update since 2008. She's agreed to do it and get back to me.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
were you in cid . hee hee .
now i might have to remove this one . ha ha .

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
No I wasn't in the "Clowns in Disguise"
I looked after people when they had nowhere to go.
On a Friday night (especially), I showed people into a room, closed the door. They then had nowhere to go and I looked after them

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
this is more recent . i think it may have come from momo or john thompson .
we pass info back n forth if we get any new .
it was i believe on here awhile back . but anyway its interesting .Broken Link Removed
click on the pics at the end gives more info.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
this is more recent . i think it may have come from momo or john thompson .
we pass info back n forth if we get any new .
it was i believe on here awhile back . but anyway its interesting .Broken Link Removed
click on the pics at the end gives more info.
That's very clear

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back