LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We were driving through Great Malvern today on the way to Hereford when the knob on the end of the gear stick suddenly flew past our ears and half way down the van :Eeek: It turned out that some of the plastic holding it onto the splines had broken.

It was impossible to do a roadside fix as there were no parking places but using the forward gears was still reasonably easy so we called the AA after we arrived on site. With the patrolman's help we ordered a replacement through a local garage and the AA will come back to fit it when it arrives on Friday.

Expensive but not much option when we are so far from home :cry:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ooooooooooo, harsh but probably true. :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
The same thing happened to us in France in the middle of nowhere plus it was snowing .I ended up gluing it back on I can't see it coming off ever again :LOL:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Gear stick gives the impression of that 2' long thing with a knob on we learnt to drive in back in the 60's. I still use one but it's dash mounted. :)

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I had a Hillman minx and quite often I had to use a mole grip when the gear lever decided to part company with the selector arm :sick:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

My knob doesn't move when I put my van in reverse.............:whistle:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Gear stick gives the impression of that 2' long thing with a knob on we learnt to drive in back in the 60's. I still use one but it's dash mounted. :)
mines bigger than that its a 2 footer. Anyway what is wrong with a blob of glue and stick the knob back on you could have just pushed it on anyway????? How much is a new one?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hired a Yugo once in Cyprus when I was a squaddie.

It made it from Episkopi to Aya Napa and back without a gear knob!

Keep calm and motorhome on!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I had a Hillman minx and quite often I had to use a mole grip when the gear lever decided to part company with the selector arm :sick:
I've had a few minxes, but managed to keep control of the knob at all times :whistle:

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Does anyone remember the Bedford Door mobile, with the sprung loaded gear leaver? I was learning to drive in one ( firms van) just approaching Hyde park Corner, morning rush hour, saw a gap, slammed it into 2nd only to see the hole lot, springs n all go flying out the door! ! Now That Was FUN

Reactions: GJH

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
With AA membership you only get a number of call outs. After they are used up you have to pay. Two fallouts one to look and one to fix the new one uses two lives..
My daughter had a bad run with her car and the AA refused to help her once the allotted lives had been used up.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We were driving through Great Malvern today on the way to Hereford when the knob on the end of the gear stick suddenly flew past our ears and half way down the van :Eeek: It turned out that some of the plastic holding it onto the splines had broken.

It was impossible to do a roadside fix as there were no parking places but using the forward gears was still reasonably easy so we called the AA after we arrived on site. With the patrolman's help we ordered a replacement through a local garage and the AA will come back to fit it when it arrives on Friday.

Expensive but not much option when we are so far from home :cry:

Happened to me in France whilst doing a 3 point turn in a village (y)
I wrapped gaffer tape around end of gear lever and hammered knob with spring back on.Lasted 3 weeks until we got back and got new one,which just pushed on with light encouragement from rubber mallet.:)

Reactions: GJH
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Back in the late 80's, my work colleague drove a Bedford Midi van with a column change, work supplied him with a brand new Toyota Hiace and two days later, he pulled the complete indicator stalk off when he was changing down, going up a steep hill. :LOL:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I was learning to drive in an old Thames Trader with three speed column change, got flustered and broke the gear stick straight off. Drove it for ages with a pair of mole grips on the main rod on the outside of the steering column. :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back