The Kelpies (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi, planning on staying over at the Kelpies, do I need to book, whats the best time to turn up, how many spaces are there for Motorhomes? Thanks in anticipation šŸ˜„

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
We went a couple of months ago. No booking necessary. We went to the top car park (arrived lunch time) as the bottom one was full. We were charged Ā£5 for parking in the bus bays but not allowed to stop there overnight. You have to go to the bottom car park (free during the day) and pay another Ā£5 to stop the night. About a 15 minute walk back to the kelpies. Totally worth it but at this time of year it is light till very late. We went at 9pm to see them all lit up but was still light at 11pm. (y)
There were about 8 or 9 vans stopped overnight. Space for about 30+

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Don't forget that the Falkirk Wheel is not far away and you can overnight there for Ā£10. With facilities. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 6, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Low-profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
We spent a night at the Kelpies in May. When we arrived we were directed to park up in the coach bays at the top car park. We were told the car park closed at 6pm and we would need to move to bottom car park. We paid a total of Ā£5 and weā€™re given a paper ticket to display. About 4 other vans o/night.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The Kelpies is by card payment only at the moment, It least it was a few weeks ago.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I think the Falkirk wheel is the better of the two locations for an overnight stop. šŸ‘

Ian

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think the Falkirk wheel is the better of the two locations for an overnight stop. šŸ‘

Ian
Both equally as nice when lit up at night but you can see the wheel from the carpark without leaving the van. Ā£10 cheaper at The Kelpies :) Although you can get fresh water and elsan point at the wheel.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i was blown away by the kelpies and totaly under whelmed by the wheel the main difference was the staff i recommend paying for the guided tour at the kelpies so much info and enthusiasm from our guide
and im someone with out an artistic bone in my body

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Good for you. When we went the tours were off and the access inside was padlocked. Did manage a trip in the wheel and really enjoyed it.
Each to their own eh. :giggle:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Good for you. When we went the tours were off and the access inside was padlocked. Did manage a trip in the wheel and really enjoyed it.
Each to their own eh. :giggle:
you didnt miss much with the inside of the kelpies its just a steel frame its the detail that went into deciding on the kelpies being built, the nlegend that goes with it and the actual details of the build and material choices

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Really enjoyed visiting both - got a great picture from the Kelpies gift shop!
8B269FBD-4C9D-465D-A4A1-CBE7FFAC549F.jpeg

Ray's Scout

Free Member
Jan 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout
We went a couple of months ago. No booking necessary. We went to the top car park (arrived lunch time) as the bottom one was full. We were charged Ā£5 for parking in the bus bays but not allowed to stop there overnight. You have to go to the bottom car park (free during the day) and pay another Ā£5 to stop the night. About a 15 minute walk back to the kelpies. Totally worth it but at this time of year it is light till very late. We went at 9pm to see them all lit up but was still light at 11pm. (y)
There were about 8 or 9 vans stopped overnight. Space for about 30+
Kelpies are ace I flew my little drone around them years ago, the craftsmanship is stunning.

Jun 22, 2019
Durham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
We were at the Kelpies Last week Ā£5 to stay overnight in the bottom car park, but after paying I decided to go and have a look at the wheel. The wheel is heading out of the town so decided not to go back to the Kelpies, but booked in to The Wheel Caravan and Camping Site Ā£28 a night. Big mistake just an enormous expanse of levelled hardcore with amenities down a dirt track on a farm. After setting up noticed that not all the caravans at the top of the site were not tourists and felt a little uneasy, would not risk putting anything outside even the dog stayed inside. We moved on before it got light that night as I could not sleep.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Thanks for the info guys, hopefully visiting next week at start of Grand tour of the Islands of ScotlandšŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘
Just be careful whilst up there. The locals often wear skirts and there are wee animals running around the hills they call haggis. If you manage to catch one they are nice if boiled in water for an hour or so. :eek: :giggle: Oh yes, remember to take a phrase book with you,, theirs is a strange language. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Used the kelpies as a stopover to the Hebrides in June. Arrived about 930pm and the top car park was already shut so parked at the bottom and wandered up. Loved it as a quick stopover.

Same for me but Shetland is our destinationšŸ‘šŸ»

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Never been to the Falkirk Wheel, knew it was a boatlift so had a looksee to find out more, got loads of marvellous engineering/techy stuff from watching this video.
Thought it was worth sharing to all that love a bit of engineering facts.
LES

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Just be careful whilst up there. The locals often wear skirts and there are wee animals running around the hills they call haggis. If you manage to catch one they are nice if boiled in water for an hour or so. :eek: :giggle: Oh yes, remember to take a phrase book with you,, theirs is a strange language. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I know all about the men in skirts and the wild Haggis, even worse is the West coast ā€˜fruity puddinā€˜ itā€™s got a bite worse than a midge, as for the language, have you been to Shetland? They speak with Nordic twang you canā€™t tell if they are complimenting you or swearing at you šŸ„“

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
I know all about the men in skirts and the wild Haggis, even worse is the West coast ā€˜fruity puddinā€˜ itā€™s got a bite worse than a midge, as for the language, have you been to Shetland? They speak with Nordic twang you canā€™t tell if they are complimenting you or swearing at you šŸ„“
Nothing quite as good as fried fruit pudding and bacon.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
We were at the Kelpies Last week Ā£5 to stay overnight in the bottom car park, but after paying I decided to go and have a look at the wheel. The wheel is heading out of the town so decided not to go back to the Kelpies, but booked in to The Wheel Caravan and Camping Site Ā£28 a night. Big mistake just an enormous expanse of levelled hardcore with amenities down a dirt track on a farm. After setting up noticed that not all the caravans at the top of the site were not tourists and felt a little uneasy, would not risk putting anything outside even the dog stayed inside. We moved on before it got light that night as I could not sleep.

That isnā€™t the motorhome stopover at the Falkirk Wheel referenced elsewhere in this thread though.

Ian

Ray's Scout

Free Member
Jan 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout
Used the kelpies as a stopover to the Hebrides in June. Arrived about 930pm and the top car park was already shut so parked at the bottom and wandered up. Loved it as a quick stopover.

AND what is WRONG with that? hahaha

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back