The Joys of Benidorm! (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
This thread started life as the joys of benidorm, now it has turned into can we, cant we, go to Spain.
I watch the benidorm slot on YouTube and the last one showed the streets and bars deserted.
For you who are there, what's it like, ?
Is it all as dead as it look
Well said ! It happens too many times on Fun. This will be my last post on this thread as my trip is now cancelled. I too watched that or a similar video and the girl did say there was a slack period after the holiday season ended and running up to Christmas, then it picks up again. The streets did look deserted and this might be the added Covid effect but I'm certain after the new year the resort will see its usual influx of winter visitors. Anyway, my wife and I hope all Funsters who have managed to get there have a fab time and we wish you and yours a very merry Christmas. Now to send this thread to Coventry. Keep Safe.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
This thread started life as the joys of benidorm, now it has turned into can we, cant we, go to Spain.
I watch the benidorm slot on YouTube and the last one showed the streets and bars deserted.
For you who are there, what's it like, ?
Is it all as dead as it look
I’m in L’Albir chaser which is the next town up, a ten minute bus ride… it’s a quieter town anyway but it’s all business as usual here, you have to wear masks going and out of places but once in it’s as usual… places that hold 50+ you have to show your vaccinations app (my nhs app works fine) they are good at wearing masks here and I have not seen anyone not comply in the 5weeks so far…

There is a bad cold going around the area at the moment which I have suffered from too, most English have their own LFT tests to take but to get one here you have to book at a centre and pay around €30… a lot of people don’t get tested…

It’s warm when the suns out but very cold at night now that I’ve acclimatised… for info I’m staying in an apartment.. 👍🏼

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Well said ! It happens too many times on Fun. This will be my last post on this thread as my trip is now cancelled. I too watched that or a similar video and the girl did say there was a slack period after the holiday season ended and running up to Christmas, then it picks up again. The streets did look deserted and this might be the added Covid effect but I'm certain after the new year the resort will see its usual influx of winter visitors. Anyway, my wife and I hope all Funsters who have managed to get there have a fab time and we wish you and yours a very merry Christmas. Now to send this thread to Coventry. Keep Safe.
Lots of local Spanish having their Xmas parties and the English expats are having a lull in readiness for the Xmas period …😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Depends if you like camping or hotels/apartments.
Each has there place, apartments in some winter destinations can be quite lonely.

Thanks. We much prefer staying in the motorhome BUT we are considering a month in the sun and one of these package holidays can supply that, complete with similar resources, for less money. Do you think we'd be more lonely in a motohome on the outskirts of Benidorm or in an apartment in the centre of Benidorm, at the same time of year? Hopefully the latter, as we are not particularly sociable people :giggle: .
I don't think the captain would be very happy if you wanted to stop at Millau ... 😆

I suspect that you are correct. I haven't been on the Gallicia yet and didn't realise it went via Millau BUT I imagine the crew wouldn't let me speak to the Captain if he was manoeuvring in the river. :giggle:

We have driven between the north coast of Spain and the Med via several different routes. When we left Bilbao on the 5th January we arrived in Fuengirola on the 6th. The target was to reach warmth in the shortest time: stopping for sight-seeing wasn't a priority.
That would be the concept IF we decided to rent an apartment OR take the MH.

So I will ask one last time: are there any advantages of "living" in a metal box for a month in winter rather than one or two rooms with everything available?

Gordon

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks. We much prefer staying in the motorhome BUT we are considering a month in the sun and one of these package holidays can supply that, complete with similar resources, for less money. Do you think we'd be more lonely in a motohome on the outskirts of Benidorm or in an apartment in the centre of Benidorm, at the same time of year? Hopefully the latter, as we are not particularly sociable people :giggle: .
SNIP
So I will ask one last time: are there any advantages of "living" in a metal box for a month in winter rather than one or two rooms with everything available?

Gordon
No advantages. We tour in the warm weather, and have rented in the winter. This was the last place, in Altea, some four years ago.
We even had our own gated driveway...No contest!

DSC00020.JPG

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016

I suspect that you are correct. I haven't been on the Gallicia yet and didn't realise it went via Millau BUT I imagine the crew wouldn't let me speak to the Captain if he was manoeuvring in the river. :giggle:

We have driven between the north coast of Spain and the Med via several different routes. When we left Bilbao on the 5th January we arrived in Fuengirola on the 6th. The target was to reach warmth in the shortest time: stopping for sight-seeing wasn't a priority.

Gordon
Not sure what you are asking as surely it is your choice to do what you want? Only advantage I can see for the package holiday is flying direct to Spain as currently you cannot drive through France.

Deleted User

Gordon
Very much an individual decision, I think we are like you and would easily, and probably will at some stage, rent for a month or so.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I'm going to pass on your very kind offer thank you. Ann liked most of the channels last night (even got paramount films 😍) and I'm going to fit a mains one when we get back so it goes on and off with the TV. Thanks anyway 👍
Found an old Labgear one in the shed, cleaned it up and it works great, better than the old one ever was. Just had to fit a switch on it 😎

20211222_181656.jpg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Finally, a French couple who had arrived in UK for a holiday, say, 2 weeks ago, but whose car was damaged beyond repair, may well need to return to France in a UK Hire Car, and would have French Passports, LFTs etc. Which is why I think the UK registration is a red herring. I accept, though, that anyone arriving at the Ferry Port and then at French Border Control, would have to provide evidence of their bona fides to answer the Border Guards' polite questioning
Doesn't apply to hire car cross border rentals, nor do the rules regarding driving hire returns apply to car hire firm employee's when working,or 'professional drivers' whose firms use vehicles registered in other Eu countries. The driving a vehicle registered in your country of residence applies only to private use.
I’ve been in Spain since the 9th November and plan going back to Calais on the 4th January so this doesn’t affect me right…?

Just the LFT 48hrs before tunnel and PCR waiting at home..?
No because you are entering France from spain & have not been in the uK for a long while.

& yes just lft, 2 day pcr booked for hooe & the passenger form

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I’m in L’Albir chaser which is the next town up, a ten minute bus ride… it’s a quieter town anyway but it’s all business as usual here, you have to wear masks going and out of places but once in it’s as usual… places that hold 50+ you have to show your vaccinations app (my nhs app works fine) they are good at wearing masks here and I have not seen anyone not comply in the 5weeks so far…

There is a bad cold going around the area at the moment which I have suffered from too, most English have their own LFT tests to take but to get one here you have to book at a centre and pay around €30… a lot of people don’t get tested…

It’s warm when the suns out but very cold at night now that I’ve acclimatised… for info I’m staying in an apartment.. 👍🏼
What happened to your tent?

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
The weather has changed dramatically overnight bringing thunder and lightning. To quote Ronnie Corbett: "If you live in Lissing Down then take an umbrella!".

OP
OP
John Barrett

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012