The Italian Riviera (1 Viewer)

Tom2023

Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
We are off to the Italian Riviera in early March. I know it won't be particularly warm but it might not be so crowded at that time of year.

We intend to poke around from the Cinque Terre to the border with France and will probably have a couple of weeks in France towards the end of May.

Looking through my Aree di sosta (which I find next to useless) and my ASCI book there doesn't seem to be a great selection of campsites close to the coast. We want to spend a week or so exploring the headland around Santa Margherita Ligure and Portofino but can only find one campsite any where near it Camping Rapello

Same with the Cinque Terre. The only decent place I can find for a week is Camping Acqua Dolce.

We like to get off the beaten track and it's a shame Italian Passion, Fattore Amico, has gone out of business.

Can anyone recommend any things that we should not miss while in the area, any hidden gems off the tourist route?

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
My daughter and family went camping in August last and had no problems finding suitable sites, but note this was with a tent. They loved it, and have enthused me to go to this area sometime in 18, though we will avoid peak season.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are off to the Italian Riviera in early March.

Whata mistakea toa makea.

For me there is nothing more depressing than lifeless, shut up holiday resorts. Tumbleweed blowing down the streets and the only sign of life starving cats.

"Hi, you went to Portofino, the most beautiful port in Italy, wow."

"It was terrible, all the tumbleweed got stuck in the radiator and I got bitten by a hungry cat".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The Italian Riviera has a bit of a Disneyland Italy feel to it. I agree with @hilldweller, in that the Cinque Terre villages and elsewhere are probably devoid of life outside the tourist Euro grabbing season. Very very commercial and seasonal.

I'm not saying don't go - everyone should see it once, but it's difficult to imagine it occupying you for more than a few days before repetition sets in. We visited Portofino by boat, and two of the cinque villages using the train before we'd had enough, and that was when they were open.

You'll see more variety in Lucca, Pisa, Siena and Florence, which aren't that far away.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Looking through my Aree di sosta (which I find next to useless) and my ASCI book there doesn't seem to be a great selection of campsites close to the coast.

If you’re using the Sosta book to try and find campsites it’s not really surprising you aren’t having much luck.

Sosta = Aire

:whistle:

OP
OP
Tom2023

Tom2023

Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
We made a half hearted attempt at the area once, oh boy is it hard work, roads good for donkeys are not so good for MHs.

Here is a challenge.................

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@44.2...4!1srIfk5xm29q3brrvVuuaLXw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Yes the roads down to the coast in Italy often are a little hair-raising. We have a 125 slung on the back so once parked up at an aire or a campsite we get around with ease and park where ever we want.

As for coastal towns out of season; I don't mind if some of the tourist tat shops are closed. In fact the more that are closed the better. I want to have a stroll around a town, take in the views, have something to eat, have an ice cream then move on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have a 125 slung on the back so once parked up at an aire or a campsite we get around with ease and park where ever we want.

You are properly equipped then but finding anywhere decent open may still be your big problem, you can but try, you're not going to starve to death are you.

We've had the tumbleweed experience at least twice. Once we has a week in Argles Plage, before MH, we were on an FZ750. May. The place was lively and full of happy people all the stall open, crepes to eaten walking in the sunshine.

Years later we thought "let's to Argles", on the way back from Spain, March, it was like a ghost town, the body snatchers had visited and it was just plain terrible.

Two years ago we stopped in Peniscola on the way to Beni. Again a lovely place we visited before when it was open and full of happy people. Jan in Peniscola is another episode of the body snatchers. Loads of people in Camping Eden but in town just one or two places open. We are due to repeat this next month but we know what to expect.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
There is a very frequent and cheap railway line up the coast from La Sapezia to Geneva. It calls at all the Cinque terre cities and many other places, definite places to see are Santa Margareta di Ligure (for Portafino) and Genoa. It is an area unsuited to touring by Van.

There are a couple of campsites and a sosta, all within a few minutes walk of the railway station at the non descript resort of Deva Marina, just north of Monterosa were you can also stay on a car park for 10€. Also an Sosta in Stan a Margareta 7.50€ and very expensive one in Genoa

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
IMG_0717.PNG
Loads here, try park4night

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun