The Importance Of A Second Driver (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
My wife only holds an auto licence, she passed her test under extreme duress a few years back, she never wanted to drive. Consequently she does not have C1 entitlement, also the van is manual, and very big. She has proved quite conclusively that she is unable to manoeuvre a Honda Jazz into a parking space that I could park the van in, since the Jazz is now on it's 5th front bumper.
I think that should the need arise, we will use the recovery service to repatriate the van should I ever be unable to drive, I'd like to get it home with the same front bumper. :)

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We have had our van for a year and up until last Friday I had only driven it on a quiet wide straight bit of road for about 10 minutes. Last Friday HWMBO bought me a MH driving lesson with Mark in Durham. It was excellent. He gave me lots of tips for overtaking parking etc. As a result I feel happy driving the MH and drove back home 50 miles and through the centre of Durham. Can't wait for our next trip when I will definitely be driving.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Good for you Hils! Ruddy thing scares me witless. I've only tried to drive a car in France once - our car, which I was more than happy to drive at home - and I bloody well hated it. pete's eldest daughter was the only person with me - and we both agreed I was crap so after we'd done the supermarket shop (why we had gone out) I handed her the keys, I'd had enough.

I drove the Bessie a few hundred years (well it might have been half a mile cos I did manage to change up - a few times) on a wide enough two lane country road with flat unfenced grass on either side - perfect - and I still hated it but was albeit grudgingly, v pleasantly surprised at the visibility available to me fore and aft, and I had just decided well perhaps it isn't THAT bad, after all? when a bloody great artic came the other way defo doing more than the speed limit and I was completely derailed by the buffeting it caused and had winced anyway cos I honestly thought he'd take at least the offside door mirror off if not worse - whereas he was well aware there were 6" to spare and never blinked - I burst into tears I was that frightened and THAT was THAT. End of story.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Bruises pah! A year or so back I drove back with a broken arm on my gearchange side. Swmbo, a nurse, said I was being a baby and it was only a sprain. An xray on our return proved her wrong.
I had a similar experience last April/May time, when I slipped and fell and thought I had badly sprained my left ankle. I strapped it up and drove the MH back from Coventry to Peterborough, trying to keep to major routes to avoid as many clutch movements as possible. When home and the neoprene support was removed, the angry looking ankle convinced SWMBO that she would take me to casualty immediately. The X-Ray revealed a spiral break in two places, and I was in a half leg plaster for the following six to eight weeks. :eek:
No blooming wonder it was really painful dipping the clutch pedal. :LOL:

Rita has made it clear from day one, that she would not be happy to drive our large tandem axle MH, and is not listed as a named driver on either the insurance cover, or the breakdown cover. If either of them ever asks, we shall just tell them that "the boss" is not qualified to drive that class of vehicle. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you are both on the policy as drivers and only one of you cannot drive they would expect the other to do the driving and therefore would NOT let you have a relief driver.
My missus can't drive so not a problem

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back