The Importance Of A Second Driver (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2014
peterborough
Funster No
MH
micro van
Exp
We downsized to make our motor homing more user friendly, for small lanes and windy roads. I always say I could drive ours straight it was the turning that got me, let alone parking!

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
My wife is on my car insurance; drove my car once and kerbed it. That was the end of that! Car is now 5 years old and she hasn't driven it since.

She has never really improved since she whacked the wing on a lamp post on my lovely Hilman Minx when I was teaching her to drive. That was the end of that too because I made her go to a driving school.

I'm not saying she's a bad driver, but if she was an Arab, she'd come home with a dented Camel!

There is no way I would let her loose on the MH. Once she found out that us and the vehicle get repatriated as long as she's not a named driver, there's just me on the insurance. Suits both of us and keeps the damage down!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
HILMAN MINX blimey you have a long memory !! I ran off the road a t a corner in our Mini Minor !! I was 19 then !! I didn't drive again until 1973 when I passed my test first time in three months of my O.H teaching me (shouting at me) :rolleyes: the examiner was a pussycat after my teacher!! :LOL:

Ive now been driving 43 years with not one accident (only one small dint) :LOL: that bollard shouldn't have been there!! I couldn't see it!!

I would love to go on the CC course O.H says its a waste of money !! then I would have more confidence reversing especially into our drive.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We have a deal, I drive the RV, she drives the tow car, or if we hire one she drives that, here or abroad.

Ian

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Quite a response from you all. Just to let you all know I am on the mend, the swelling on the hand has gone down so I am able to drive today, howevere the bruised ribs are really sore and the discomforg is spreading but I am much better than Monday, we shall be at Twin Lakes early so hope we will be able to bet on.

Bonne journee

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
OUCH The bruising is probably coming out! I hope that is all it is!! Id still have an elasticated bandage on your hand though, take it easy and don't drive too long norm I hope you both manage to have a good time though.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
I will do the driving if needed, but usually only when we go over high bridges, like the one in France, Pont de Normandie

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Improvisation, I once had a serious back problem that I had an operation for as soon as I arrived back from Norfolk. I couldn't bend or sit so I drove back the 140 miles standing up. There was just myself and my youngest who was around six, being a single parent at the time there was no other option. I was able to see the road through the over cab bed window. We laugh about it now but it was a pain at the time. I spent the day at Blakeney leaning across the sink watching my son through the window catching crabs then we set off after midnight propping myself up against the back of the seat. They don't make them like they used to.:)
Ahh, the good old days.:LOL:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Ahh, the good old days.:LOL:
They were indeed, I mentioned it to my son yesterday who is now in his thirties. He said thats strange as he often thinks about that day and he was only telling his partner about it last week. If I had done it any other way he would never have remembered anything about it.:)

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Steve does all the driving, but I would be happy to drive, have driven horse boxes etc in my time. But!! .......Steve would have to be unconscious in the back or gagged. Preferably both

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
This is an old dog that barks on forums from time to time. Having a second driver is a useful resource, like having a full-size easily accessed spare wheel or a second gas bottle and indeed one might just a usefully start a thread along those lines. If you have such a situation you are lucky but if you don't, and clearly many don't, then having adequate driver aids such as an automatic gearbox and a good recovery insurance along with some care with, or indeed avoidance of, risky activities is the most that can be hoped for.

Nobody expects that they will have problems - this is obvious from the number of vans sold which have bed access which could be less than ideal for the infirm - but careful planning ahead just in case is the best, and for many the only, solution.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My wife does most of the driving though rarely from the drivers seat :whistle:.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
image.jpeg
Say no more, just watch the speedo!

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
My wife doesn't drive but we don't let that stop us from going off without a care in the world. If we had to consider all the consequences we would never venture outside the house.

Mum driving.png
Dad driving.png

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i have always had to drive ann tried but failed she could not see the reasons for the 2 of us to drive, my sister has just plucked up courage to get on the back of my scooter after 40 yrs, she was not put off by the fact that i had been knocked of my other scooter in cornwall

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I do more of the driving than Nick, I do the towns, ferrys and manouvers but he is OK inbetween. It does make the long distances easy having both of us share the driving.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
In ten years and 2 M/Homes Ann has never driven one mile in either of them. Took her off insurance. I do all the planning map reading when not driving and all driving. She does try to map read but never knows where we are so not much use. She does say the odd left when it should be right so I don't take any notice. If I had listened to her we would have lost the roof more than once. I am not joking

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Come on all you wimpy ladies who won't drive a motorhome! Sort yourselves out and get behind the wheel - you never know when an emergency will occur and you'll look pretty silly if you can't drive your own vehicle. My husband does most of the driving because he's a dreadful navigator but on long trips I drive too so he can have a rest. Well done to the ladies who do share the driving.

?

Deleted User
My wife doesn't drive but we don't let that stop us from going off without a care in the world. If we had to consider all the consequences we would never venture outside the house.

My wife does drive but wont on busy roads or in foreign lands. Wont let that stop us from going out also. A 2nd driver is not important its an advantage.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

View attachment 93433 View attachment 93434

That dogs face in the second photo. A combination of "What the hell is that" and "Do something Now!"

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Some years ago when I was caravaning with my ex wife who would never drive, I slipped on wet grass broke my wrist and ended up in plaster. We were 250 miles from home and she had to drive for the first time ever with the caravan behind. After the first couple of miles she pulled over in floods of tears saying she can't do it! With some encouragement she carried on and 230 miles later she had overcome all the fears and concerns and was doing a great job!

Although I do the majority of driving I still encourage Ginny to get behind the wheel every now and again just to keep her hand in.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If my memory serves me right our insurance covers for a relief driver should we have a misshap but I think it's to get the van home.we're with Safeguard

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If my memory serves me right our insurance covers for a relief driver should we have a misshap but I think it's to get the van home.we're with Safeguard
If you are both on the policy as drivers and only one of you cannot drive they would expect the other to do the driving and therefore would NOT let you have a relief driver.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

I have a motorhome

...... a mobile phone, bed, toilet, food, water, gas for heating and cooking......

..... a breakdown (apart from on a motorway) is just another, maybe inconvenient, unplanned stopover

...not a problem............ relax, phone for help, if needed, put kettle on, go to bed.......sort things out .....whenever

simples

(y)(y)

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
My wife has a license to drive automatic only. Our MH is manual so all the driving is left to me.
I drove trucks both here and on the continent for 30 odd years and would be expected to drive for 9 or 10 hours daily. (When Double manning Nottingham to Italy in 18 hours, never switched the engine off.)
We plan our journey times 2 to 5 hours unless we want to really cover some distance. Never bothers me and don't seem to feel tired after it. Mind, MH is only 24' not 60. Never thought I should not be travelling/going abroad just because I am the only driver.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back