the holy grail--power? (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have gone down the diverse route. I have 3 x 80 Watt solar panels. 2 x 250AH batteries (traction). I also have a 1KW El Cheapo Gennie and a 50Amp B2B charger.

the B2B charger is not working so I have had to start the genny once or twice.

If the B2B charger worked I probably wouldn't need the genny unless I was staying in one place for 10 days.

I try not to let the batteries get below 75% preferably not below 80%. My theory being if I look after them they will last a whole lot longer as they cost almost £400 each :Eeek: BUT, if I need to go off hookup for an extended period of time I have the capacity.

IMHO each means of power supply has it's advantages and disadvantages and you need to pick the mix to suite your individual needs. Neither solar nor gennies are perfect so picking the disadvantage that disadvantages you least is probably the best way to choose :winky:

EHU is a great source of power but it's disadvantage is you need a really long wire if you want it working while you drive. :ROFLMAO:

Gennies: Noisy, smelly, expensive to run. Risk of theft, can break down. Can't be used everywhere. Can't be used while you are driving.

Solar: Only works for part of the day and only for part of the year. Low output.

Wind: Low power output, only works if there is good wind. Can't be used while you are driving.

B2B: Only works when you are driving.

I think a mix of technologies to avoid the downsides you can least live with is probably the best plan?:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
ken is this your post?,does it not clearly state that this year you are doing 3 days on site then moving a maximum of fifty miles,and a twenty mile run WILL charge your batteries,but they should not need chargeing as your solar does the work:ROFLMAO:sorry but its you that is making flawed assumptions about my knowledge and experience,caravans,boats, motorhomes, all suffer with the same problem and solar aint the answer,if it was i would have solar:thumb:
that is cherry picking at its best what does it matter if it was this year or last. Last year 2 weeks sorry Chris but see this thread for what it is a troll and adevert for your charger and outside the rules of the forum

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Strangly I have heard of this on another forum,have never seen a setup so cant comment. I think this setup is for exceptionally large battery banks.

Nope, we used to use it in commercial service vans to recharge batteries we had used to start cars / vans etc in winter, unless its broke, the alternator wont overcharge a battery, it just seems that a lot of other ways of obtaining power, are guesswork, rely on unpredictable sources, or involve large outlays in cost or buying even more kit that can break down!
The two alternator idea, while needing some engineering initially, would provide a regular reliable source of power for a fixed amount, regardless of weather/time of day/location etc etc/.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Does anybody run two alternators, one for the engine etc, and one just to for the battery bank.?
Most vehicles have an "air con" option, giving a second belt size and location point for the second alternator. as it would not be charging the engine battery and replacing what the starter has used, it would straight away be recharging the storage batteries. I,m not too sure on costings, but running your engine for one hour a day to recharge, "may" work out as cost effective as anything else, plus, replacing an alternator or belt, "may" be a better option than getting a gennie/solar panel/voltage unit fixed or replaced.
leaveing your engine running will charge both the engine battery and the hab batteries happily with just the one alternator that fitted on the van,but you get into the proplem of glazing the bores on the engine,does more harm than good:thumb:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Nope, we used to use it in commercial service vans to recharge batteries we had used to start cars / vans etc in winter, unless its broke, the alternator wont overcharge a battery, it just seems that a lot of other ways of obtaining power, are guesswork, rely on unpredictable sources, or involve large outlays in cost or buying even more kit that can break down!
The two alternator idea, while needing some engineering initially, would provide a regular reliable source of power for a fixed amount, regardless of weather/time of day/location etc etc/.
you have not seen the invention of the year have you:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
see below

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
pic's

Last edited:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have a 300 amp battery pack and I use all of it on a good day, well half of which represents a discharged battery with your idea I would need to recharge 3 X a day. but with a good days sun my panels maintain the battery level and therefore save on battery discharge, your system discharges the battery every day.

I should add that I dont use the MH in the UK.
Doug...

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Solar: Only works for part of the day and only for part of the year. Low output

I think a mix of technologies to avoid the downsides you can least live with is probably the best plan?:thumb::thumb::thumb:

We have found that with the deep cycle batteries we have now , work all year round. As i said they even lasted 3 days in snow and minus temps with the webasto heating running. As well as everything else.
A normal leisure battery wouldnt even with the solar charging it in bright sunshine .
They knock the spots off any other caravan / leisure battery we have ever had . Without knowing anything technical they just seem to get the best out of the weather/solar panel and hold it in them more.

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I have a 300 amp battery pack and I use all of it on a good day, well half of which represents a discharged battery with your idea I would need to recharge 3 X a day. but with a good days sun my panels maintain the battery level and therefore save on battery discharge, your system discharges the battery every day.

Doug...
your solar panals put back 150 amps a day wow thats huuuuuuge:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
thats 15 amps an hour over ten hours on a goooood day ,but thats the point on a good day my idea would replenish that in about two hours(once) on a wet overcast day:thumb:next

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
You didn't read this did you?

Last year we stayed on site without moving for a minimum of 7 days and on two occasions a fortnight. One of the fortnight ones was at Mytholmeroyd and it honked down for the 2 weeks. It was so bad i was getting concerned and Alan (Laneside offered to lend me his gennie if neccessary (it wasn't).

This year we are doing 3 days a site and moving a maximum of 50 miles each time. So it really is the solars that keep us going. :thumb:

I am afraid your assumption of solar is a mile out. :Smile:

And by you making assumptions I mean your statement "you need a minmum of 4 110 batts" that is just Bo**ox

Also have you tried to run with 2 batts and solar? I have and succeeded. ::bigsmile: as have others.
then i must bow to your superior experience and knowlege sir:thumb:
see! even a muppet like me can do it without resorting to shouting and swearing:thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
your solar panals put back 150 amps a day wow thats huuuuuuge:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
thats 15 amps an hour over ten hours on a goooood day ,but thats the point on a good day my idea would replenish that in about two hours(once) on a wet overcast day:thumb:next

No its not huge, 3 X 80W = 240w/12v = 20 amps, at max on a good day

And you keep missing the point of the amount of times you have to recharge. how long do you expect your battery to last if you have to recharge them every day, with solar panels your batteries are recharged as you use them, (just the same a a car that only uses the battery to start) therefore there there is less amount of charging needed

Doug...

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Similar to this one used by 4x4 enthusists in Oz

http://www.rpc.com.au/pdf/bch-502-503.pdf
correct:thumb:
i am happy to help anybody that wants to build one of these thing's just pm me it will cost you not a penny for my help, but i will not be building them for anybody else or for sale as for me to build for anybody the cost is just too dear.
i built the one i have for my own use,and to prove to myself it works.:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I survive exclusively on solar panels, always have done, but only in the summer months. A couple of batteries and little electricity use might get us through a long weekend in winter, even though we don't watch telly, but after a few days we need to get some charge into batteries because the solar just can't keep up. Normally we use a genny to top up. IMO Solar panels are superb, but only when the sun's shining. When days are short, its smelly old petrol and a heavy genny.

This is an interesting discussion, we all have our own opinions. But as for trolling, and accusing Chris of it, I feel this is out of order, AFAIK Chris has made his gizmo for his use and is not selling them. All he is doing is opening a lively debate on a quiet Saturday. :Smile:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
that is cherry picking at its best what does it matter if it was this year or last. Last year 2 weeks sorry Chris but see this thread for what it is a troll and adevert for your charger and outside the rules of the forum
you calling me a troll roger are you realy calling me a troll:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
trolling for something that aint for sale and never has been:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
i want an apology roger please:thumb:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I survive exclusively on solar panels, always have done, but only in the summer months. A couple of batteries and little electricity use might get us through a long weekend in winter, even though we don't watch telly, but after a few days we need to get some charge into batteries because the solar just can't keep up. Normally we use a genny to top up. IMO Solar panels are superb, but only when the sun's shining. When days are short, its smelly old petrol and a heavy genny.

This is an interesting discussion, we all have our own opinions. But as for trolling, and accusing Chris of it, I feel this is out of order, AFAIK Chris has made his gizmo for his use and is not selling them. All he is doing is opening a lively debate on a quiet Saturday. :Smile:
thank you jim:thumb:and that's all it is a lively debate on an other wise boring saturday.
wildman i need you to apologise please:thumb:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Spookily enough, this is a VERY similar discussion as is had on 4x4 forums, only there, it is not leccy that is needed, it is air. 4X4 tyres have to be let down and pumped up lots of times, punctures repaired etc etc, some like expensive inflators, some like cheaper ones, some sort of make their own,..myself i prefer a dive bottle for my supply, some like fixed , some like portable.........to my knowledge, ther has never been one way agreed on,...........since about 1950:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Similar to this one used by 4x4 enthusists in Oz

http://www.rpc.com.au/pdf/bch-502-503.pdf

I like this bit:
Note: These units are recommended as backup battery chargers to recharge your battery back up to 80% state of charge
in a reasonably short time frame. We suggest that you use another charging source such as solar modules to bring the
battery up to full charge. The High Powered Battery Charger should not be used as your primary charging source.
::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I like this bit: ::bigsmile:
you mean this bit

Note: These units are recommended as backup battery chargers to recharge your battery back up to 80% state of charge
in a reasonably short time frame. We suggest that you use another charging source such as solar modules to bring the
battery up to full charge.
[HI]The High Powered Battery Charger should not be used as your primary charging source. [/HI]

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
battery up to full charge. The High Powered Battery Charger should not be used as your primary charging source.
ar*e covering:thumb:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I cant wait till they install all these leccy charging points for leccy cars............and wake up one morning to find a MH neatly parked at every one of them,....well done Boris:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
you mean this bit

battery up to full charge.
[HI]The High Powered Battery Charger should not be used as your primary charging source. [/HI]
roger can you please apologize to me, so we can but this issue to bed:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
don't know what I am apologising for but you have it. I was just making sure you could read the whole post. I will not be visiting this thread again. Good luck selling your charger.

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
don't know what I am apologising for but you have it. I was just making sure you could read the whole post. I will not be visiting this thread again. Good luck selling your charger.
so no apology then roger?:Sad:
just to make it clear roger you need to apologlse to me on this thread for calling me a troll.
a simple sorry will do:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I am sorry Chris, I posted that unreserved apology before receiving your pm to tell me what I was apologising for.
I apologise for using the term troll I did not intend it as a personal insult.
Having now looked it up
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-
topic messages in an online community
I doubly aplogise as I was in no was suggesting you were about anything malicious, I thought it meant trolling as in fishing for interest.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I am sorry Chris, I posted that unreserved apology before receiving your pm to tell me what I was apologising for.
I apologise for using the term troll I did not intend it as a personal insult.
Having now looked it up
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-
topic messages in an online community
I doubly aplogise as I was in no was suggesting you were about anything malicious, I thought it meant trolling as in fishing for interest.
thank you roger,no hard feelings buddy:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back