The Hills are Burning (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Its that time of the year again when the self proclaimed guardians of our countryside burn vast areas of heather to promote new growth to help artificially boost grouse numbers so big bags can be shot for profit. Never mind releasing large amounts of CO2 from both the burn and the burnt peat, the environmental impact is of no consequence in the strive for profit not forgetting the impact on the local populations health from ingesting the smoke and fumes. The RSPB is asking those who come across these burns to submit information and photographs but this should be done discretely, I was on a public road taking photos last week and was confronted very aggressively by the head gamekeeper of the estate.
If anyone would like to take part in the survey here is the link. https://community.rspb.org.uk/ourwo...unity-action-can-help-call-for-ban-on-burning

Attachments

• IMG_3855.JPG
    IMG_3855.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3870.JPG
    IMG_3870.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 17
  • NY75T.003.JPG
    NY75T.003.JPG
    500.5 KB · Views: 19
  • NY76K.004.JPG
    NY76K.004.JPG
    459.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3867.JPG
    IMG_3867.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 17

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Its that time of the year again when the self proclaimed guardians of our countryside burn vast areas of heather to promote new growth to help artificially boost grouse numbers so big bags can be shot for profit. Never mind releasing large amounts of CO2 from both the burn and the burnt peat, the environmental impact is of no consequence in the strive for profit not forgetting the impact on the local populations health from ingesting the smoke and fumes. The RSPB is asking those who come across these burns to submit information and photographs but this should be done discretely, I was on a public road taking photos last week and was confronted very aggressively by the head gamekeeper of the estate.
If anyone would like to take part in the survey here is the link. https://community.rspb.org.uk/ourwo...unity-action-can-help-call-for-ban-on-burning
Not for much longer. They are only allowed to burn between October and April.

The council have banned shooting on their bit of the moor. Therefore the land isn’t making any money to pay for the management of the moor. After a few years of no management it will be so overgrown that a fire will be almost impossible to stop. Obviously the city green types will not be the ones fighting this fire it will be my ex watch mates and it will cause far more environmental damage.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Yes.

Here's an independant view,

of interest is this extract

'Moorland burning was being practiced for hundreds of years on Exmoor before it came under regulation, and led to the vegetation and wildlife assemblages that the regulations are now trying to protect. However it seems that these same regulations are in some areas acting to the detriment of the vegetation and therefore wildlife that they are there to protect. Changes need to be made to make management and grazing of moorland in Exmoor more economically viable, otherwise scrub and grass moorland will continue to encroach upon heather moorland habitat, and Exmoor‟s purple hills risk being lost'

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Yes.

Here's an independant view,

of interest is this extract

'Moorland burning was being practiced for hundreds of years on Exmoor before it came under regulation, and led to the vegetation and wildlife assemblages that the regulations are now trying to protect. However it seems that these same regulations are in some areas acting to the detriment of the vegetation and therefore wildlife that they are there to protect. Changes need to be made to make management and grazing of moorland in Exmoor more economically viable, otherwise scrub and grass moorland will continue to encroach upon heather moorland habitat, and Exmoor‟s purple hills risk being lost'
Very true however the burning over tha last couple of decades has increased exponentially and is now on an industrial environmentally damaging scale so that a few very wealthy punters can pay thousands a day to shoot grouse and anything fur or feather that can impact on grouse numbers is considered vermin and is removed. What sort of future are we leaving and as stated in my original post this practice on such a scale is contributing to global warming and it’s all to do with maximising profit.
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Very true however the burning over tha last couple of decades has increased exponentially and is now on an industrial environmentally damaging scale
What you say is true, however having worked on both the landowner and firecrewing sides of this industry. I, as mostly a fireman would much rather try to deal with a wild (moor) fire on managed land than unmanaged land. Nobody manages land for no return so we are left with the shooting fraternity. They at least look after the high heather moors. Without this management the high heather moorland will quickly cease to exist which will cause great disruption for moorland wild life. The U.K. has the largest high heather moorland in the world. This isn’t through luck, this is through land management. I have no problem with the green types wanting this to stop providing they (the green types) Cary out, or pay someone to carry out this land management. I won’t hold my breath waiting for them to do so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
What you say is true, however having worked on both the landowner and firecrewing sides of this industry. I, as mostly a fireman would much rather try to deal with a wild (moor) fire on managed land than unmanaged land. Nobody manages land for no return so we are left with the shooting fraternity. They at least look after the high heather moors. Without this management the high heather moorland will quickly cease to exist which will cause great disruption for moorland wild life. The U.K. has the largest high heather moorland in the world. This isn’t through luck, this is through land management. I have no problem with the green types wanting this to stop providing they (the green types) Cary out, or pay someone to carry out this land management. I won’t hold my breath waiting for them to do so.
The Heather Moorland we all see is not a natural environment but has been manipulated and created for grouse shooting.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
i blame the french if we hadnt had the need for warships to fight the french it would all be woodland
Very true. We needed to manage what was left after the deforestation to supply our navy with ships. Luckily the current landowners took it on and not the green, tree hugging yoghurt knitters.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I live a stones throw from Wandsworth moor and the damage caused by the Bannister clan is tremendous, furthermore inspite of the flooding of Hebden Bridge on a number of occasions, no proper flood prevention measures have been funded for Hebden, Mythomroyd Has had work done lower down the valley but that will not protect Hebden.
the only work for Hebden being done by volunteers who are building wooden damps designed to slow the flow.
it seems that Hebden is being left to the elements but I do not know why, maybe the higher ups don’t like ex hippy lesbians and anti social social workers, who are perceived to be the main occupants of the town by some. Not me I add, my son lives very close.
I would like to see the moor restored to its former self with native trees where they should be, that would reduce flooding, restore the native flora and fauna and let the land heal. This will only happen when grouse shooting and it’s industries self interest ends.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
If most of Scotland was deciduous woodland, you do all 100% realise that Red deer would be extinct too. They are reforesting tranches of it right now and are hence having to kill off more deer than normal because red deer cannot survive in woodland full stop. So female deer do not normally stray further than 2-3km from where they are born and if you plant trees, you drive them away and thus the further places become overpopulated, so not enough natural feed to support the greater numbers and they just starve to death, so less hale & healthy ones to breed from and gradually numbers dwindle so far it's too late.

Whereas when properly organised commercial shoots can happen, the income from that and the wild venison thus available, pays for all the rural (food & associated) workers on the Scottish moors managing the environment and the livestock for everyone's benefit. You ALWAYS need to look a lot further than the end of your nose into these things before deciding it's all wrong and has to be stopped. It's touch and go up there by now anyway with the lack of income caused by the pandemic.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It’s like everything in life it’s money. If there was no shooting who would pay for looking after the moors etc . Nobody but nobody does anything for free.

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
If most of Scotland was deciduous woodland, you do all 100% realise that Red deer would be extinct too. They are reforesting tranches of it right now and are hence having to kill off more deer than normal because red deer cannot survive in woodland full stop. So female deer do not normally stray further than 2-3km from where they are born and if you plant trees, you drive them away and thus the further places become overpopulated, so not enough natural feed to support the greater numbers and they just starve to death, so less hale & healthy ones to breed from and gradually numbers dwindle so far it's too late.

Whereas when properly organised commercial shoots can happen, the income from that and the wild venison thus available, pays for all the rural (food & associated) workers on the Scottish moors managing the environment and the livestock for everyone's benefit. You ALWAYS need to look a lot further than the end of your nose into these things before deciding it's all wrong and has to be stopped. It's touch and go up there by now anyway with the lack of income caused by the pandemic.
The red deer's natural habitat is not moorland, but mixed forest. Not intensive conifer forests though. They were driven to the high mountains and moorland, but that is not where they thrive best.
Moorland managed for shoots is a fairly sterile environment.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that

so where did the red deer come from?

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Isn’t it the case Trophychap, that the Caledonian Forrest along with many other forests need rebuilding, for the sake of the planet, but Deer left to their own devices would not let the young trees flourish, so the deer need culling. Shooting just makes a business out of the Deer, so if there could be a balance produced, the shooters could have their sport and it is a sport as well as a business, and the young trees would get their chance. With more trees the carbon could be sequestered helping the planet.
Over time shooting as a business will die a natural death as less and less people feel the need to kill with lead and so the estates will find other ways to raise cash as some are going now at Nepp, and Allandale and a few others by realising nature in its natural state will attract people on safaris for photography and letting people just get back to nature on retreats etc. This generates money for the local economy.

Once the old male tweed guard die out and are replaced with people who care for the planet and not just their little enclave, we should see the land change to be more balanced and become healthier.
Don‘t get me wrong I have met many gamekeepers, and most are really nice people, but set in their Victorian ways of estate management, the only thing that’s different for them is they use landis and quads instead of horses. I do take issue with them over the treatment of raptors and Owls but that is a much bigger issue which should involve more prosecutions.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Just to add fuel to the fire, if Wolves were allowed back into Scotland they would become the natural predator of the Red deer and they woukd bring down the deer herds to manageable proportion, but that would put the Gamekeepers out of work, in turn having wolves reducing Deer numbers, increases the number of successful trees, thus reducing carbon and slowing the flow of flood water.

it’s all about about balance, currently the land use is geared to feeding the pockets of the landowners who in turn just throw crumbs to the locals.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Just to add fuel to the fire, if Wolves were allowed back into Scotland they would become the natural predator of the Red deer and they woukd bring down the deer herds to manageable proportion, but that would put the Gamekeepers out of work, in turn having wolves reducing Deer numbers, increases the number of successful trees, thus reducing carbon and slowing the flow of flood water.

it’s all about about balance, currently the land use is geared to feeding the pockets of the landowners who in turn just throw crumbs to the locals.
But isn’t that how the majority of businesses work, land owner or share holders all the same.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back