The Globecar Warranty - Any Experiences (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Andrew
Come on own up, you cant get that new Airstream out of your mind can you?:rofl::rofl::rofl:Go on you know you want to!
Best wishes
Les

Hi Les,

I really do like the idea of owning an Airstream but after much deliberation I reckon it would be just too much hard work.

Also, I'm not entirely sure if I like motorhoming yet so so there's a chance that Nicky and I will sell up later this year and buy a little cottage somewhere.

I'll do you a good deal Les :D

All the best,

Andrew

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is the panel still working king despite it being warped?
Yes and no ... we can still press the on/off button and stuff works but we daren't put the fuse back in for the water pump as we suspect that's why the original one went kaput as the panel probably kept putting power through to it so it was working whilst we had the tap in the open position when the weather was cold.

Tuono

Free Member
Jun 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2008
I had my first year check carried out a little while ago and they agreed that the cupboard door below the fridge should be changed under warranty as it is so bowed.
It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get one sent over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tuono

Free Member
Jun 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Hi we bought a globecar globescout and have had the warped door under the fridge replaced 5 times and the latest one on van is warped again.no one is interested at globecar or importer in suppling doors of a quality you would expect.out of warranty now.would not buy another Globecar.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Well thats interesting Andrew, didn't realise you were not totally sold on the mh, or caravan holiday aspect.
The warranty issues in MH ownership, and the length of time/trouble it takes some folk to get things sorted never fails to surprise us, we have all read about some peoples retirement dreams being ruined by the stress of getting their vans fixed by their dealers or supplying manufacturers.
We have all been crying out for the day that all MH manufacturers offer a multi franchise repair facility like car makers offer, its just silly to have to only deal with the dealer you bought from for warranty issues, as "they are the ones that you have a contract with" etc.
Let the dealer make their profit on the sale, but make the manufacturer liable for repairs and replacing defective parts across their dealer network, but also ensuring us that all service centres/fitters are well trained up in doing so.

As for the MH ownership experience,the best bits for us are two fold, having the mh and going on rallies makes us visit towns and areas in the UK that we would not even have considered before, and enjoying journeys to & from far flung places with stunning views.
Like many on here,we went off the long haul flight aspect of travel some time back, so getting the new caravan with all mod cons initially, now the MH is still working for us.
However the CMC/CCC site visit aspect, here or abroad is not something we would ideally choose, as we dont like having everything booked and mapped out for our touring experience, so aires, sostas & stellplatz would suit us every time.

Selling up and moving to the country cottage would be great idea for most people, including us, but in principle the area would have to be well served for hospital cover/GP etc to help with TinaL's ongoing health problem.
We love The West Country or even some areas of the Highlands, but then the reality that living there could involve long journeys on a regular basis to get treatment, kills the whole idea. Never the less we will keep our eyes and minds open for somewhere to relocate hopefully

Good luck and all the best in making any decisions, its always hard to get every aspect right, but if you do move and get a cottage, just make sure it has a long drive (y):D2

Best wishes.
Les

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Yes and no ... we can still press the on/off button and stuff works but we daren't put the fuse back in for the water pump as we suspect that's why the original one went kaput as the panel probably kept putting power through to it so it was working whilst we had the tap in the open position when the weather was cold.

Fit an isolation switch to the pump Mel.

John.

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
Hi we bought a globecar globescout and have had the warped door under the fridge replaced 5 times and the latest one on van is warped again.no one is interested at globecar or importer in suppling doors of a quality you would expect.out of warranty now.would not buy another Globecar.

To be honest I cant get very excited about the bowed door. I mentioned it to them and they said they would get a replacement. If it bows again I will fix a small metal angle to the inside to keep it straight.
generally I am over the moon with the van.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We have just had an interesting experience.
We took our Campscout to our local Fiat Professional garage yesterday. Today, Tim noticed some silver paint on the bumper sohe took it back. Not us, they said ... we don’t do spray paint here. They said it had been on but covered with black bumper polish, which had come off when they washed it as they use a strong detergent.
Interesting .... when we refused to accept the van due to the warped door, we also had a couple of spots of missing paint touched up. We didn’t realise they’d also touched up the bumper because it was hidden under black polish.
Our Fiat professional garage did the decent thing today and removed as much of the paint as they could with alcohol and repolished the bumper.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
@Blue Knight Andrew, we have the holiday cottage and the camper. I love our holiday cottage; we go about 5/6 times a year and we don’t let it out so we can just turn up and holiday. But summer is midge season so we prefer to do our main holiday elsewhere. We also plan to do wee trips from there in the van.
The van works well in term time for us, as a quick weekend away and we’ve enjoyed exploring places we wouldn’t get to. Tim’s more a CAMHC Guy; I don’t like booking or being bound by regulations so prefer wilding. Let’s see how that pans out!
We’ll see how Europe goes this summer. I love touring but my knee is totally knackered now so tenting is no longer an option. Caravan was too much faff for touring, better for a staycation somewhere. So far, the van seems good.
@Tuono Globecar isn’t perfect BUT I’ve yet to see a van I would rather have. We’re unlikely to change until youngest child goes to uni .... 4 years. By then there may be hybrids or hydrogen vehicles which would prompt a change.m

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Fit an isolation switch to the pump Mel.

John.
Yes I'm going to, already got the switch and wiring, just need to finish sorting through all our stuff in the bungalow first before I can get my teeth back into van 'fettling'!

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@Blue Knight Andrew, we have the holiday cottage and the camper. I love our holiday cottage; we go about 5/6 times a year and we don’t let it out so we can just turn up and holiday. But summer is midge season so we prefer to do our main holiday elsewhere. We also plan to do wee trips from there in the van.
The van works well in term time for us, as a quick weekend away and we’ve enjoyed exploring places we wouldn’t get to. Tim’s more a CAMHC Guy; I don’t like booking or being bound by regulations so prefer wilding. Let’s see how that pans out!
We’ll see how Europe goes this summer. I love touring but my knee is totally knackered now so tenting is no longer an option. Caravan was too much faff for touring, better for a staycation somewhere. So far, the van seems good.
@Tuono Globecar isn’t perfect BUT I’ve yet to see a van I would rather have. We’re unlikely to change until youngest child goes to uni .... 4 years. By then there may be hybrids or hydrogen vehicles which would prompt a change.m

That's a great write-up Liz. I showed Nicky your response the other day and she said that it could have been us writing your post as we have a very similiar outlook to adventuring and relaxing etc.

Also, I've been in touch with the dealer and I'm probably going to opt for November as a fix date for the Globie.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Update (yet again) on my Globecar control panel replacement ... or lack of one! :(

After chasing our dealer and them having no luck in getting one anywhere, we asked if we could buy one which isn't Globecar branded to which they've agreed we can, so the hunt was on. There are few places you can actually get the new version of our panel, which looks to just have had a cosmetic makeover as all the buttons etc are in the same place, however most suppliers won't deliver to the UK (I asked previously) but I fortunately managed to find one on Ebay who would at a cost of €17 P&P ... glad I'm not paying! Great stuff!

Well ... maybe not! The blurb for the new version refers to them being used with the CSV 409 with no mention whether they are still compatible with the EBL119 electrobloc! :doh: There was only one thing for it so I wrote to Schaudt yesterday to check. Today I got a response from Udo Lang who confirmed that all the LT100 panels are the same so will work with our EBL119 too so I ordered one today ... yay!!!!!! :clap2:

It should be here by early July at the latest and I'll be able to fit it and finally get away in our camper, something we haven't been able to do since we got back home in January! :Grin:

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I've just glimpsed the recent entries on the Globecar FB forum and there's a member who posted up an hour ago saying that he has been completely ignored (over 11-weeks) by the dealer in his attempt to get his warranty claim accepted for his dodgy floor.

The floor has dropped creating a lip in the surface and the repair needs to be rectified in a way that injects resin upwards from the underside of the van.

This is an interesting point as there must be 3 or 4 vans recently which have been reported as having floor issues.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
That's a great write-up Liz. I showed Nicky your response the other day and she said that it could have been us writing your post as we have a very similiar outlook to adventuring and relaxing etc.

Also, I've been in touch with the dealer and I'm probably going to opt for November as a fix date for the Globie.

I’ve thought that a few times Andrew. I hope you find what works for you and Nicky ...
November?!? You may well win that bet ...

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I’ve thought that a few times Andrew. I hope you find what works for you and Nicky ...
November?!? You may well win that bet ...

A date for your Diary Liz: NEC on the 20-22 Sep 2019; a place in the sun exhibition.

We'll be there :cool:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I've just glimpsed the recent entries on the Globecar FB forum and there's a member who posted up an hour ago saying that he has been completely ignored (over 11-weeks) by the dealer in his attempt to get his warranty claim accepted for his dodgy floor.

The floor has dropped creating a lip in the surface and the repair needs to be rectified in a way that injects resin upwards from the underside of the van.

This is an interesting point as there must be 3 or 4 vans recently which have been reported as having floor issues.

Good info Andrew, I find it amazing that you can have issues with a PVC floor, it's not as if it's a double floor or floating floor etc, it's built onto an original solid metal floor of the van.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
When we had our Globescout I pointed out that the roof void above the cab was unlined and uninsulated leading to condensation that could not be dryed or wiped away (potential rust issue).

Globecar were distinctly uninterested and SMC just ducked the issue ...... so it never got solved during my 3 year ownership.

(Have they lined the new ones?)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Good info Andrew, I find it amazing that you can have issues with a PVC floor, it's not as if it's a double floor or floating floor etc, it's built onto an original solid metal floor of the van.

I can't understand it in all honesty Paul.

Globecar have been building certain models of the Globecar for years now and to a very rigid build specs too and then these things start happening.

My shot-in-the-dark answer to it all is that some of the new staff are perhaps not as good as the ones they replaced.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
When we had our Globescout I pointed out that the roof void above the cab was unlined and uninsulated leading to condensation that could not be dryed or wiped away (potential rust issue).

Globecar were distinctly uninterested and SMC just ducked the issue ...... so it never got solved during my 3 year ownership.

(Have they lined the new ones?)
Our previous Globecar (2015) I seem to recall had some black thin material but I covered it with some reflective bubble foil insulation, partly for insulation, and partly because the black made it so dark up there it was hard to see anything!

Our curreent Globecar (2016) has insulation below a plastic protective cover.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We have had no condensation issues whatsoever with our Campscout, we’ve been really pleased with it, but we’re going down a different road and soon we will be selling our van.

John.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We have had no condensation issues whatsoever with our Campscout, we’ve been really pleased with it, but we’re going down a different road and soon we will be selling our van.

John.

Caravan is it?

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Here are six screenshots of my four side windows - any immediate thoughts?

Screenshot_20190607-112600_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190607-112609_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190607-112619_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190607-112711_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190607-112805_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190607-112805_Photos.jpg

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
That looks really hard to determine from photos Andrew, never seen it before though.
If you hadn't said anything I would have just thought it was reflection.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
These are my thoughts too; i.e. not fit for purpose. I've submitted the warranty claim via SMC so I'm just waiting on a response now.

I hate to say it but in the interests of honesty it looks like the older V-line warped windows.

All four side windows have been affected but the two rear door pod windows are fine.

The max external temperature so far has been circa 25C so not exactly the Costa del Sol in summer.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That looks really hard to determine from photos Andrew, never seen it before though.
If you hadn't said anything I would have just thought it was reflection.

They are warping inwards Paul but they weren't like that when I picked it up in November.

I now have three warranty claims submitted. One for the floor; one for the delaminated shower door and now the windows.

Living the dream!!

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
They are warping inwards Paul but they weren't like that when I picked it up in November.

I now have three warranty claims submitted. One for the floor; one for the delaminated shower door and now the windows.

Living the dream!!

That’s rubbish Andrew. My windows look different to yours ... are yours plastic rather than glass. I know yours is built in a different factory ... I wonder if that team are more used to building different models of MH? I hope you get away travelling soon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back