The Globecar Warranty - Any Experiences (1 Viewer)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I was just wondering if any of you fine folk have had any dealings with the warranty process for the larger issues on your vans.

I can recall Mel's @Minxy Girl huge warranty problem with her shower tray but has anyone else had any experience of using the Globecar Warranty system?

Some of you may recall that my Summit was supplied with a dodgy upper trim to the shower door which, as it transpired, required the whole door unit to be replaced.

The warranty claim was submitted in Nov-18 and last week (for the first time), I made a call to see what warranty progress had been made - Nothing so far but the dealer is chasing it again.

Any thoughts or input from you guys.

Thanks All,

Andrew

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I had a warranty claim for a defective compressor fridge and it was changed within 3 weeks (Thetford).

I put in for a faulty graphic decal (Globecar) and it took 5 months for Globecar to send it and SMC fitted it soon after.

John.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I had a warranty claim for a defective compressor fridge and it was changed within 3 weeks (Thetford).

I put in for a faulty graphic decal (Globecar) and it took 5 months for Globecar to send it and SMC fitted it soon after.

John.

Thanks John, I appreciate the feedback. This may sound terrible to say but I'm hoping for the door to be dispatched by November-19 when the first hab check is due.

I've also submitted a set of photos that identify the absence of the foam which should lie below the floor as you enter the van. The dealer and I are hoping that my detailed pics will be sufficient evidence for Globecar to accept a basic warranty repair - it's only a simple job to fix but I'm certainly not doing it myself.

What I wish to avoid is this turning into something along the same lines of Mel's situation with her shower tray.

Fingers crossed eh (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Unfortunately Globecar aren't great warranty wise, certainly NOT speedy, they are quite finickity about it all being checked and submitted correctly! The shower tray was bad enough but the wait we had for the new decals on the previous camper was truly ridiculous!

How much of the delays we experienced were down to the dealer I don't know but it shouldn't require customers to have to contact them to ask them to keep chasing up outstanding stuff and letting owners know how things are going.

We've not had such bad delays with the warranty stuff for our current Globecar and as I'm happy to fit stuff myself once it's sent to me (eg sink, control panel etc) it means we won't have to wait for a slot in their diaries to fit the camper in, leave it there and then go back for it again later.

The fridge was approved by Thetford and didn't take long at all to sort out, albeit that I had to travel to Bridlington to get it swapped over as local places either wouldn't do the job or were too busy, and I only got it done at all because the nice man at Thetford managed to persuade the Bridlington place to do it for me.

There's a lot to be said for being able to do some stuff yourself, or have a good local non-franchised place ... I must admit that whilst some think that having a 'new' vehicle with a manufacturer's warranty is a massive benefit over one without, in our experience it wouldn't make me pay extra just to get it for the same model over a good second hand one without a warranty.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just to add ... if I had the energy and hubby would let me I'd happily do my own conversion again, after all I seem to fettle them a fair bit to what we want anyway so might as well do it from the start! :D

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Unfortunately Globecar aren't great warranty wise, certainly NOT speedy, they are quite finickity about it all being checked and submitted correctly! The shower tray was bad enough but the wait we had for the new decals on the previous camper was truly ridiculous!

How much of the delays we experienced were down to the dealer I don't know but it shouldn't require customers to have to contact them to ask them to keep chasing up outstanding stuff and letting owners know how things are going.

We've not had such bad delays with the warranty stuff for our current Globecar and as I'm happy to fit stuff myself once it's sent to me (eg sink, control panel etc) it means we won't have to wait for a slot in their diaries to fit the camper in, leave it there and then go back for it again later.

The fridge was approved by Thetford and didn't take long at all to sort out, albeit that I had to travel to Bridlington to get it swapped over as local places either wouldn't do the job or were too busy, and I only got it done at all because the nice man at Thetford managed to persuade the Bridlington place to do it for me.

There's a lot to be said for being able to do some stuff yourself, or have a good local non-franchised place ... I must admit that whilst some think that having a 'new' vehicle with a manufacturer's warranty is a massive benefit over one without, in our experience it wouldn't make me pay extra just to get it for the same model over a good second hand one without a warranty.

That's a great bit of info Mel and, like your first van, I think it will take about a year to get my door sorted too. I'll be able to change it myself but it's the fact that it has already taken 6-months without any signs of progress being made that annoys me a wee bit.

The floor is a different matter and should in theory only take an hour to fix but, if Globecar does not accept my pictures as eveidence then it'll be another trip South for me to get an assessment done.

I'm trying to discover the outcome of the 2 or 3 Campscouts that were reported to SMC with faulty floors but I've not managed to find any into apart from what was already reported on Facebook (......and I don't have a FB account).

I wonder if their floors have been fixed yet :whistle:

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Not a major issue but we had the table replaced too. The 3rd bed sits on the extension piece and one of the rubber protective pads had gone through the table surface. Our dealer is 60+ miles away so we sent pictures and after about a month Globecar agreed to replace it. We picked it up on our first Hab service, they replaced the whole table! Which reminds me, must get round to fitting it one of these days ... :giggle:

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
i bought our van from Duemo in Germany, with the full expectation of fixing minor issues myself with the saving made. and if it was really magor, i would eturn to GErmany to get it addressed.
As it turns out, Tess is now 2yr 6 months old and we have had no issues that required warrany work during the time and we are now outwith the dealer wrranty period
The only work that has been required was the various fiat base chassis recalls, and these were addressed by our local Fiat Professional dealer FOC.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
i bought our van from Duemo in Germany, with the full expectation of fixing minor issues myself with the saving made. and if it was really magor, i would eturn to GErmany to get it addressed.
As it turns out, Tess is now 2yr 6 months old and we have had no issues that required warrany work during the time and we are now outwith the dealer wrranty period
The only work that has been required was the various fiat base chassis recalls, and these were addressed by our local Fiat Professional dealer FOC.

It sounds as if you've had a good innings with your Globie Gerry.

In our case it's only two small things that have caused a bit of irritation so far.

That said, I would certainly not be worried about buying a Globecar direct from Germany based on the quality of the vans and their reputations.

All the best,

Andrew

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Not a major issue but we had the table replaced too. The 3rd bed sits on the extension piece and one of the rubber protective pads had gone through the table surface. Our dealer is 60+ miles away so we sent pictures and after about a month Globecar agreed to replace it. We picked it up on our first Hab service, they replaced the whole table! Which reminds me, must get round to fitting it one of these days ... :giggle:

I Love the last sentence :D......:cool:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Hi Andrew
Return Hijack here:D

I have a warranty claim with the “Twin” at the moment
*Split blind to sunroof
* Truma Cp control intermittently “soft click”
* Some trim/ stitching on Dinette seat

3 weeks only since claim, maybe an opportunity for comparison.?

CC

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Andrew
Return Hijack here:D

I have a warranty claim with the “Twin” at the moment
*Split blind to sunroof
* Truma Cp control intermittently “soft click”
* Some trim/ stitching on Dinette seat

3 weeks only since claim, maybe an opportunity for comparison.?

CC

Good idea (y)

I think Mel @Minxy Girl had to replace her CP controller so we may be able to start the comparison sooner than expected.

It seems that when ordering new parts that most converters hit the 4-5month point for the smaller replacement bits and much longer for the larger items.

I'm still expecting 12+months for my door although with my track record I'll have sold the van by then :D

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Great news - Just had the call to say that everything is ready to go and the parts are now at the dealer. I just need to book a suitable date for the repairs to be done.

I can't fault the commitment by the warranty manager at SMC to get this sorted - she's a good egg (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Great news - Just had the call to say that everything is ready to go and the parts are now at the dealer. I just need to book a suitable date for the repairs to be done.

I can't fault the commitment by the warranty manager at SMC to get this sorted - she's a good egg (y)
Good luck with that ... you might have a VERY long wait!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Good news Andrew, will they give you a quick appointment date then or will it be months?

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision

Andrew I get a bit confused with SMC, is this Newark? (never sure if they have another branch) I just like to be aware of how my local dealers handle after sales for when the time might come to change my van.
Cheers

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Andrew I get a bit confused with SMC, is this Newark? (never sure if they have another branch) I just like to be aware of how my local dealers handle after sales for when the time might come to change my van.
Cheers

Yes only 1 branch Debs, Newark.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Good news Andrew, will they give you a quick appointment date then or will it be months?

I'm hoping so Paul. They've always given me a quick turnaround before but I'm hoping for a call tomorrow to give me a date.

Fingers crossed good mate ;)

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Cheers

Hi Debs, they've always been good with me but like any dealer I would always keep an eye on any warranty claim that you've submitted.

I have to be honest and say that I now hate buying new vans due to warranty issues. I also have a Fiat recall to sort but I'll do that next month.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

Cheers Mel, as long as I get it sorted before November as it'll be a year old by then and probably up for sale.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

I had a call on the 23rd May to tell me that the work could be done on either the 14th or 21st June. It required a 5-day stint in the workshop but the exact times were to be communicated by a follow-up call to me via their workshop manager - I'm still waiting for the call.

They do have a loan car pool but there are none available until mid-August and even that date can't be guaranteed for a car.

Our Globecar has its first year hab check in mid-Nov so I may just wait the extra 5-months and have everything done at once - It makes sense and it avoids me having to do an extra 600-miles.

.........so as it turns out my 1-year prediction was right Mel :D

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
I had my first year check carried out a little while ago and they agreed that the cupboard door below the fridge should be changed under warranty as it is so bowed.
It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get one sent over.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I had my first year check carried out a little while ago and they agreed that the cupboard door below the fridge should be changed under warranty as it is so bowed.
It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get one sent over.

Don’t take any nonsense on this. We refused to take delivery of our Campscout elegance van until the bowed door under the fridge was changed. It was couriered and fitted within a week.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Don’t take any nonsense on this. We refused to take delivery of our Campscout elegance van until the bowed door under the fridge was changed. It was couriered and fitted within a week.

.......so it didn't take six months for it to be delivered Liz.:(

I have a sneaking suspicion that my dealer had previously forgot about my warranty issue and it was only my follow-up call that reactivated things.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

I have a sneaking suspicion that my dealer had previously forgot about my warranty issue and it was only my follow-up call that reactivated things.
... why am I not surprised .... that was my feeling too with some of the stuff I needed ... :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Update on my 'control panel' issue, despite visiting Globecar in Germany our dealer was unable to get a replacement panel for us as they didn't have any in stock! Gawd knows how long we're gonna have to wait ... our dealer is trying to get one from other UK based Globecar dealers but I don't hold out much hope ... I suspect we're going to end up at the fall-back position of ordering one off Ebay from Germany which won't be Globecar branded.:rolleyes:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Cheers Mel, as long as I get it sorted before November as it'll be a year old by then and probably up for sale.
Hi Andrew
Come on own up, you cant get that new Airstream out of your mind can you?:rofl::rofl::rofl:Go on you know you want to!
Best wishes
Les

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Update on my 'control panel' issue, despite visiting Globecar in Germany our dealer was unable to get a replacement panel for us as they didn't have any in stock! Gawd knows how long we're gonna have to wait ... our dealer is trying to get one from other UK based Globecar dealers but I don't hold out much hope ... I suspect we're going to end up at the fall-back position of ordering one off Ebay from Germany which won't be Globecar branded.:rolleyes:

Is the panel still working king despite it being warped?

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018

Thank goodness ... as you know the van was already delivered 6 months later than we were promised. I think the fact that the dealer had paid Globecar for it probably prompted a quick solution ... it was pre purchase rather than warranty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back