The future?? (1 Viewer)

Oct 23, 2020
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Explore RL c/va
Exp
I placed a deposit on a MH before Xmas, and was due to collect early January. Lock down scuppered that! Now that it looks as if some restrictions will be lifted soon, I have doubted the wisdom of buying my MH- my first. My original plan was to travel to Europe for as long as possible, that looks as if that won’t happen this year, at least, which will mean travelling the uk. No problem with that, but I am concerned that I will just be one of many trying to do the same thing, and trying to find sites to stop will become very difficult, if not impossible. Question is “should I cancel the purchase? hopefully without loss of too much of my deposit, and wait to see how things pan out. The other concern is that the MH has a drop down bed. My, not being in the first flush of youth, have concerns about managing to find my way in the middle of the night! and also the headroom for manoeuvring myself in and out.
Has lockdown finally got to me, and am I being a bit negative? HELP!!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If its at the dealers waiting to be picked up I doubt you could cancel without loss of full deposit.
Delays because of a national crisis isn't a good reason.

Reactions: JnJ
Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Question is “should I cancel the purchase? hopefully without loss of too much of my deposit, and wait to see how things pan out.
Realistically I think only you can answer that question...
Not very helpful I know but only you know where your heart lies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Claris, pick up your motorhome and give it a go, otherwise you might forever regret it. Things are not going to be that bad, and late this year or early next, I'm sure lots of vans will be touring the continent again. Meanwhile touring the UK in a van is great fun and there is allways somewhere to camp

If in a years time you think you made a mistake and want to sell; Then the way things are at the moment you wouldn't lose that much on a new van or probably nothing at all on a secondhand van.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Hi Claris,

we sold up and became van full-timers in Sept last year and we too were questioning our logic and sanity at the time as. like you, we intended to travel the continent from late Dec / Jan '21 onwards (after spending Christmas with our daughter). Things changed, could not go to our daughters as she was in tier 4, borders closed so we remained in Cornwall.

Even though we are unable to travel, we are delighted with our decision. We had dreamed of doing this for years.

You will enjoy travelling the UK. Join the C&MC club, join Brit Stops (a 'book' you can purchase that gives you locations throughout the UK of pubs and restaurant you can park overnight free of charge) Download some pitch/parking locator apps like campercontact, search for sites, park4night (I am sure there are loads more) and I am sure you will find a spot to stay for a night or 7! Also, remember that Scotland welcomes vans to 'wild camp' meaning, if you have solar power, you can camp away from the sites for a few nights, only visiting them campsite when you need to fill or empty your clean / dirty water.

Regarding navigating your way around the van at night for those little comfort breaks at night, you will be fine, honest, you will adjust. It's all about new experiences :giggle:

I am sure that Europe will be open again (and safe) later this year, so we can all look forward to those continental trips again.

Regarding your deposit, and if I have not managed to help persuade you to keep the van, then contact the dealer and see what they say, at least you will know where you stand.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Oct 23, 2020
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Explore RL c/va
Exp
Thank you for your response, just had a look at the pics of the MH, and it fired up the juices again. I think I need to stock up, either in hard copy or virtual, all the “guides“ you mentioned.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have already booked three different sites in anticipation of being released and as far as the bed, we have and use our drop down bed and are mid seventies and manage the mount and dismount without problems ;)
Go for it and if your van is ready for collection do it when free , and it might be worth joining the two main clubs if you intend to use sites as you can book ahead with the CMClub without a deposit .

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Thank you for your response, just had a look at the pics of the MH, and it fired up the juices again. I think I need to stock up, either in hard copy or virtual, all the “guides“ you mentioned.
Just pop me a message if we can be of assistance in any way, we are still learning and finding things out, so happy to share

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What motorhome are you buying, our Hymer only has a drop down bed and we have no difficulty with it.

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
You will get away this year and will get your mojo back. Things will get back to normal as the summer progresses. Keep looking at your van and thinking about being wherever you want to be in it.
Don’t be made to feel despondent by some of the more pessimistic posts on here. There are far more of us that are already planning trips this spring. As has been suggested, have a look at both big clubs and I can recommend Britstops as a great resource. Have a look at searchforsites it has a lot of great places and covers most of Europe as well as the U.K.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
What motorhome are you buying, our Hymer only has a drop down bed and we have no difficulty with it.
Yes was going to say the same, we have Benimar Tessoro 486, bed comes down at any level required
We bring it right down and no need for ladder - lovely

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Oct 23, 2020
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Explore RL c/va
Exp
Yes was going to say the same, we have Benimar Tessoro 486, bed comes down at any level required
We bring it right down and no need for ladder - lovely
It is a Tessoro 413, from what I can remember it only came down approx 3ft?? It has cupboards underneath which I think may restrict the drop. It has bunks, so thought I might end up using one of those, ok if just me, though had plans for the garage!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Oct 23, 2020
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Explore RL c/va
Exp
It is a Tessoro 413, from what I can remember it only came down approx 3ft?? It has cupboards underneath which I think may restrict the drop. It has bunks, so thought I might end up using one of those, ok if just me, though had plans for the garage!
I originally looked at a Benimar 202, and the drop down bed could be lowered
to the level of the seating, so no ladder required, not sure that is possible with the 413.

Upvote 0

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I had a 4 day event in july cancelled yesterday, went online and booked a new site for the 4 days in mid july, not everywhere Is booked up already for this year

Upvote 0

Quackers

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2019
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Hello Claris
Don't panic there are plenty of smaller sites around look at Search For Sites or even better just post on this forum where you want to go and the suggestions will flood in.
When Boris lets us all go you are going to love your motorhome so stay positive. Find a few local sites to begin with and get to know how everything works, and then enjoy the adventure.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Welcome aboard Claris I agree with others, just go & get it, tour the UK until things settle down, come & meet some great Funsters on the Fun Rallies, that's what we did when we first started 3 years ago, had some wonderful times in all weathers and times of year.
The MH has also made us go to places in the UK that we would never have thought of going to without our own accommodation & creature comforts, so pleased we did it.
Just had a look at your new van on you tube, its been given a good review, be careful on payload, get the van weighed before you write the cheque, as that's the best advice any newcomer could ever receive before purchase.
You will need all of that 415KG payload for 2 of you, let alone any children, if you have a C1 driving licence, then it may be easy to upgrade to 3650KG without any mods other than doing the paperwork to the DVLA on first registration, ask you dealer to do FOC, thats what we did, cheaper road tax also.(y)
Good luck.
LES

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4I
Exp
Have faith Claris! We are first time MH owners and collect our van mid-April. We then depart on a tour of the UK. Currently we have 21 sites booked and there was plenty of availability. Self catering will be allowed from May onwards latest IMHO.

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Go for it, bring it home and camp out on your drive if you have one, to get used to it.
Join the Camping and Caravanning Club and look up their rallies. Enjoy and good luck

Upvote 0

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
w2f
I am of that age where I need my “comfort” break (more civilised term for loo) in the night. I just make sure I have a night light on and take my time ( god , I sound like I am a hundred and ten)

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
For the first time in 14 yrs of motorhoming I'm planning to tour in the U.K. due to the possible restriction of foreign travel.
Last week I grudgingly booked three CAMC sites; Derbyshire, Kent and Dorset for June, July and September as a default position on the basis that once the easing of restrictions is announced there'll be a rush to book sites.
With the CAMC no deposit is required but they require that at least 7 days notice is given for cancellations.

Upvote 0

Buzz67

Free Member
Feb 10, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
Hi Claris,
As has been said, go for it.
Regarding night time comfort breaks, get a PIR battery light. We bought a “Mr. Beams” one. When put in the right place, it comes on as soon as you swing your legs out of bed. Then goes off once you are back in.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back