LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
When I got my current van (new 2 years ago) I was concerned because it has a compressor fridge - reading all the problems you posh boys have with you big fridges I'm so pleased I have a little one!!!

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My fridge has all new parts and still persists in failure on gas at day 5 onwards.
The issue is that the electronics simply stop calling for gas frequently enough nor burning long enough, this has been witnessed by a Dometic engineer twice and not my imagination. The temporary repair done at Malvern overcame the issue by ignoring the onboard PCBs and fitting a 7 series PCB which then made sufficient demand for gas to do the job.
Prior to having new PCBs fitted the fridge had deteriorated to failing within 48hrs on the last two outings. The new boards have just moved this tipping point to day 5 or 6 as it was in the first year we bought it.
For now it is as I said predictable.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I found this video but searching thoroughly I find Jackson leisure are charging too much. @£779 :Eeek: I've seen it as little as €668

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
I found this video but searching thoroughly I find Jackson leisure are charging too much. @£779 :Eeek: I've seen it as little as €668

Looks a nice bit of kit, wherever you get it from :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I survived without a fridge for 2 and a half years. It wasn't really that much of a hardship to be honest after I had gotten used to it. I now can't drink tea or coffee with milk in it. The only thing I really missed was having cold beers at rallies and cheese to make macaroni cheese.
I am a fulltimer so this wasn't just a case of doing without for trips away it was 2 and a half years without any refrigeration at all.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I survived without a fridge for 2 and a half years. It wasn't really that much of a hardship to be honest after I had gotten used to it. I now can't drink tea or coffee with milk in it. The only thing I really missed was having cold beers at rallies and cheese to make macaroni cheese.
I am a fulltimer so this wasn't just a case of doing without for trips away it was 2 and a half years without any refrigeration at all.
You haven't got enough room in your little van for a fridge and yourself

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You haven't got enough room in your little van for a fridge and yourself
Yes I have :D. I broke the first one by puncturing it with a sharp knife while speeding up defrosting.:eek::doh:

I also have a twin tub installed, a full size shower and much more. It's a blinking Tardis in here.:rock:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

A man of the world, I observe.......:rofl:
Despite all the crap I've been through the fridge is again failing during/after day six on gas
It has had everything replaced yet still shite and unreliable
I suspect this is normal but generally undetected as there can't be many users who want to go continuously on gas only so this problem doesn't manifest itself
It did work great with the bodge and wifey feels I ought to buy a 7 series AES Pcb and bodge it permanently

Edit and the frame heater now has a mind of its own and will only come on at random
It should on the revised circuit board come on when you switch it on and stay on until you turn it off.
For the benefit of Google this is an RMD 8505

Unfortunately my options are limited and a waeco compressor fridge is still putting money dometics way aside from the size issues
Ours is a 8505 also, I think it is the worst fridge we have had in a caravan or motorhome.
Since my temporary repair it has been holding up, reluctant to take it in for a proper repair when we get home even if it is under warranty.
We always run on gas but rarely stay anywhere more than one or two nights, last week did do 4 nights and it didn't fall over.
The freezer works well gets very cold, but the fridge does not get as cold as the 7ooo series in the last van, as there is only one evaporator it must be down to poor design. You mentioned condensation under the freezer on the control panel, we get that, again never on the 7000 series.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
On the later models they have fitted a more efficient burner so I suspect it is one of many moves to leave the flaws behind them.
Mine cools and freezes completely fine on all three energies having had a new cooling unit.
I'm convinced that there is an algorithm built into the control circuit for the gas that reduces demand over time by making incorrect assumptions about efficiency.
Why else would it cool perfectly for 5 days and then start to lose its marbles.
I put this theory to a dometic engineer and he understood what I meant but so far heard nothing from Dometic.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Today in Costco we saw a really neat combi Microwave grill&oven, only £238. Its power consumption is well within my battery capacity and uses no more than my kettle or toaster.
For now and the forseable future into next year we'll be on hook up so no problems BUT I can well see the Vitrfrigo and microwave making a very attractive combination for under £1K. Wifey likes the plan

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Despite all the crap I've been through the fridge is again failing during/after day six on gas
It has had everything replaced yet still shite and unreliable
I suspect this is normal but generally undetected as there can't be many users who want to go continuously on gas only so this problem doesn't manifest itself
It did work great with the bodge and wifey feels I ought to buy a 7 series AES Pcb and bodge it permanently

Edit and the frame heater now has a mind of its own and will only come on at random
It should on the revised circuit board come on when you switch it on and stay on until you turn it off.
For the benefit of Google this is an RMD 8505

Unfortunately my options are limited and a waeco compressor fridge is still putting money dometics way aside from the size issues
I've bit the bullet and bought a 7 series controller. I will try to fit this in a permanent user friendly position. It does seem the only alternative given that it worked. I don't think Dometic are interested anymore

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Best option is to extend the wiring and mount it under the fridge so the knobs will be above the engine coolant hab heater
image.jpeg

Jun 8, 2010
west sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Tents till 1973,caravan till1987m/home since1987
Hi,Andy,just looked up Dometic rmd8505 problems as I have had constant dealings with Dometic.
The first time was before the 2 year warranty expired,last March,it has not worked on all three supplies since.
Although a senior employee e mailed me whilst I was in Spain stating ,Dometic will re emburse for repairs,I have since been informed this will not happen,as it is now out of warranty.
I now have a fridge that does not work and Dometic don't want to know.
The Van is a 2013 Hymer 680 and I think I would like to buy something other than Dometic!I I notice Lenny HB also has probs and also lives in West Sussex

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Basically they are rubbish and nearly everything available comes under the Dometic umbrella so we're stuffed.

A 2 yr warranty looks good on paper but realistically it is utter rubbish.
The average user will only use their van 3 or 4 months accumulated during that time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Hi,Andy,just looked up Dometic rmd8505 problems as I have had constant dealings with Dometic.
The first time was before the 2 year warranty expired,last March,it has not worked on all three supplies since.
Although a senior employee e mailed me whilst I was in Spain stating ,Dometic will re emburse for repairs,I have since been informed this will not happen,as it is now out of warranty.
I now have a fridge that does not work and Dometic don't want to know.
The Van is a 2013 Hymer 680 and I think I would like to buy something other than Dometic!I I notice Lenny HB also has probs and also lives in West Sussex
You are still in warranty if the repair before the two years was not satisfactory. I would threaten trading standards at them it is not on.

If yours isn't working on all 3 then you probably have a cooling unit that has insufficient chemicals in. Mine was poor but a new unit fixed that and just left the unreliable gas cooling.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2010
west sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Tents till 1973,caravan till1987m/home since1987
You are still in warranty if the repair before the two years was not satisfactory. I would threaten trading standards at them it is not on.

If yours isn't working on all 3 then you probably have a cooling unit that has insufficient chemicals in. Mine was poor but a new unit fixed that and just left the unreliable gas cooling.
Hi Andi,thanks for that I will try trading standards threat Monday

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Controller was attempted delivery Last Friday I only ordered it Thursday :Eeek:
£140
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Change of plan after careful consideration I will fit the 7 series control in the cassette housing. This is only possible because I moved the toilet pan 125 mm inboard in a previous project.
So no holes to make indoors :cool:
image.jpeg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't normally think like this but ................ what progress has been made in the design of absorption fridges as used in MHs & caravans? As far as I can see most of the problems these things exhibit date back to the '70s.

- no effort by the manufacturer to make them easily room-sealed
- no effort made to group connections where they're easily accessible (and outside the room seal)
- no effort made to enable easy access to components requiring servicing
- no use of corrosion-free components that are exposed to the weather
- no use of corrosion free material for the flue
(Unless fridges made since 2005 have many improvements I'm unaware of.)

Instead we get AES and an LCD display. I have never understood the need for a 12v switch and have some difficulty with the provision of a 240v switch - never mind AES. You can't drive with it on 240v and it's impossible to drive without 12v connecting itself (given the normal wiring arrangement). So AES as far as I can see only removes the need for a decision to run it on gas. Are there any real improvements I've missed?

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The 8 series controller retains the 230 volts and the 12 volts whilst the 7 series controller selects the energy source and most importantly the temperature. The fridge front panel becomes redundant
image.jpeg

3 5 6 7 & 9 require rerouting and some extending FORTUNATELY the temperature sensor wire is long enough
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
not an expert on sale of goods but didnt i see that goods must last a reasonable time regardless of warranty length

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes that is true but Dometic have given up having replaced everything and it still stops calling for gas after a number of days. Personally I think it has a design flaw because it works fine with a 7 series board.
Originally it was a poor cooler on all three energies so it definitely needed a new cooling unit as when it's working its ace now

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
If the new 7 series controller works over a period of time would you try to fit the 7 controller into the position of the original 8 controller, or is this not possible?

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes I would have done it if it were but completely different in every way
I already know the 7 series works as a Dometic engineer did this for me as an emergency work around as we were going on holiday. It was then removed and new 8 series parts fitted :mad:
He is the only one who has actually witnessed it in a failing state, freezer defrosting but still not calling for gas. He saw it two years running at Malvern show.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Regular story of new systems not fully tested before being released to the public, no wonder people love classic cars and motorhomes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back