The flat hose pipe ‘thingy’ (1 Viewer)

Feb 20, 2012
Southbourne, Bournemouth.
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 712SB
Exp
15 years
I use an 'X' hose, one of those expanding ones that shrink back to nothing when they are emptied. Absolutely brilliant as turning the tap off and leaving the hose open squeezes all the water out.
Make sure you get a long one though, as the short ones can be a bit too short even when expanded. I have two joined together which gives me options for distance.

Gave up with the flat hose as having to unwind all of it just to run a ten-foot away fill was a right pain.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Not even for a cup of tea?
No hardly ever have tea anyway because the milk abroad is expensive, comes in big cartons and is UHT 🤢

Don't even use tank water for cooking. Just washing up and teeth brushing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 712SB
Exp
15 years
Xhose my first one lasted about five years and get used a lot. You can buy cheaper ones but I would pay a bit more and get a decent one. (y)
Absolutely! Don't get a cheap one, get the 'X'hose brand. Tried a cheap one after our puppy took a fancy to the first 'X' hose... it was rubbish. Bought another 'X' hose - they're usually blue - and it's perfect. (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't even use tank water for cooking. Just washing up and teeth brushing
You quite happily swill tank water around your mouth when rinsing after brushing but won't cook with it which invariably means boiling it.
I think a rethink is in order.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I guess it does depend on how lucky you feel, but I suspect most would agree that not to use food grade storage or cooking pots and pans etc is not wise.

Some things that can be found in non-food safe hoses are Lead, BPA, and phthalates, why add to exposure to this stuff if we can avoid it by trying to save a couple of quid.

Lead, BPA, phthalates
While I completely agree, there is a world of difference in filling a tank and letting water sit in the pipe then guzzling it down.

I use non food grade collapsible hose, but I always run it through with fresh water and never drink or put the stuff in the tank that might have sat there for a while.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You quite happily swill tank water around your mouth when rinsing after brushing but won't cook with it which invariably means boiling it.
I think a rethink is in order.
Well it's chlorinated. I'm more concerned with the chemicals being infused with the food, particularly rice, that absorbs it.

Feb 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 712SB
Exp
15 years
These food grade threads to amuse me . No idea how the water arrives to the taps but using a blue rather than a yellow hose for the last 3 metres can save your life 😂😂😀
Did I not make it clear? Nothing to do with food grade... Don't care what the pipe is made of. Was just commenting that the brand I use is only made in blue. Or it was. :LOL:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
As soon as hose pipes for filling a motorhome are mentioned it always turns into a food grade thread 👍🏻
is that such a bad thing for people to consider what may be good or otherwise for their health? I don't think anyone is stipulating you should adjust what you use just consider what may affect your health and that of your loved ones.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I’m a sucker for reputable brands - but suspect most hoses come from one or more factories in China. If you get a reputable brand it may come from the deluxe production line, but I’d be very surprised if any of the brands (even Hozelock or Gardenia) actually manufacture, as opposed to commission, their own hose?

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
As Wombles says yoyo are brilliant have 2 of them a 10 mtr and a 15 mtr both expand quite a bit and food safe

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Doesn't matter what hose you use Flat, Normal, Food Grade etc, The main point to consider surely is how safe is the water coming out the tap?
When abroad we only use bottled water to drink, make coffee & tea etc, In The UK, if safe, we use 2X 3Ltr food grade, plastic water carriers for drinking, but never the water out the fresh water tank as it can taste funny even after cleaning it out each spring, and I do like my Tea & Coffee water filtered if possible.
LES

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Have tried the flat hoses that need to be fully unwound & they are faster to fill but like this Brunner 3 core food grade hose pipe as can be used on the roll . Had one for 7 years & still like new:
View attachment 473441

Latest version is in blue & grey (as below) but it's 3 core so not to be confused with the standard flat hose on a reel that has to be fully unwound to use it but look similar on the reel.

View attachment 473447

For expandable food grade pipe with a 5 year warranty - the FITT YoYo https://www.yoyoextendablehose.co.uk/ is worth considering - lots of sellers depending on length you want.

View attachment 473443
Have 2 of these flat ones and find them very good, was a bit worried about the flow rate but they seem fine.
Handy as you don’t need to unwind them fully.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We got one in Benidorm from the Chinese shop, cheap crap but works OK 👍
Ditto I got three MAGIC hoses in Benidorm ALL blue food grade which totally surprised me so if I can move there's a short one and if I can't there's almost 100 m of hose best is they take up less space than the old 50m narrow boat hose reel I used to use

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
A popular Spanish winter campsite relaid all its water tap supply pipes last year....above ground...black pipes...in the sun all year long breeding god knows what bacteria..... won't be washing my teeth or cooking with that no more. Trip to the drinking water hydrant instead with a 10litre carrier (different supply before you ask). Wonder how many upset stomachs there will be or worse this winter coming....

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
A popular Spanish winter campsite relaid all its water tap supply pipes last year....above ground...black pipes...in the sun all year long breeding god knows what bacteria..... won't be washing my teeth or cooking with that no more. Trip to the drinking water hydrant instead with a 10litre carrier (different supply before you ask). Wonder how many upset stomachs there will be or worse this winter coming....
Presuming it's mains water... 2 reasons it's totally safe... Firstly it's pressurised so no microorganisms can get in, and secondly there is chlorine in it which would kill them anyway.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Father Christmas bought Nick the Brunner new blue/grey flat one which will get it’s first use shortly hopefully. I must remember to tell Nick to be very excited, he even got a HEOS water plug adapter for added pleasure.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We've had normal hoses, flat hoses and expanding hoses and a watering can. My preference is for the watering can and doing a daily top up but otherwise the expanding hose. The flat hose is okay and rolls up really well but it needs to be pretty much drained before it will roll up. I chopped the flat hose into sections so can use a smaller section or join sections (we carry a wide variety of connectors and adaptors) if I need to. It's much easier to squeeze water from a short section than a full length hose.

THe expanding hose goes into the watering can which fits inside the spare tyre in the garage :)

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Hi experts
anyone changed a normal hosepipe to a flat one, if that’s what you call them. I think they might make my life easier, but then I hear they don’t. Would love to hear personal experiences please and recommend a brand. Thanks in advance.
karen.
My experience is that they are not worth the hassle - my son worked in a chandlery and the hoses used to come back on a regular basis because they simply don't do what they're meant to. He gave me one of the returns and I do use it at home, having removed it from the cassette reel but it is still a pain to use as it is easy to twist and block the flow etc. I have a food quality "proper" hose on the van that in my view is much easier to use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back