The flat hose pipe ‘thingy’ (1 Viewer)

Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi experts
anyone changed a normal hosepipe to a flat one, if that’s what you call them. I think they might make my life easier, but then I hear they don’t. Would love to hear personal experiences please and recommend a brand. Thanks in advance.
karen.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I'm a big believer in taking the water tank to the tap ----- as it has an engine on it.
My hose is very short and is all I have ever needed - that and good few adapters

IMG_20200831_111930.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Flat ones tend not to last as long as a normal hose, they also usually don't allow as much water through so filling takes longer and can be a pain in the bum to unroll and roll up again as many require you too remove all traces of water and cannot be used even partly rolled up.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our cheap flat one works for us because there is usually a tap at the back of our pitch so once the hose is untwisted and layed out it's no more bother. Also I can just open the tap 20% so it doesn't blow the crap fitting off the tap as there is no rush. 👍

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi experts
anyone changed a normal hosepipe to a flat one, if that’s what you call them. I think they might make my life easier, but then I hear they don’t. Would love to hear personal experiences please and recommend a brand. Thanks in advance.
karen.
Make sure whatever you do is a get a Food grade pipe even Hozelock advise against drinking from theirs. A non food grade pipe may not kill you instantly but I hate to think what chemicals are in some of them Release agents etc.

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Got food grade triple core flat hose on reel that you can use partially rolled but still dont drink from tank. However will drop a lot when packed away if not fully unwound then recoiled. Brunner is the brand or similar name from Amazon

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I use a 15metre expanding hose for everything, filling the tank up, washing the car and motorhome. You get them in different lengths and they shrink to nothing for storage. (y)

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Got food grade triple core flat hose on reel that you can use partially rolled but still dont drink from tank. However will drop a lot when packed away if not fully unwound then recoiled. Brunner is the brand or similar name from Amazon
Quick tip, use hizelock to fasten the two ends of the hose together so no drips from the end

OP
OP
Belledog
Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
Flat ones are rubbish,you need to keep them flat on a reel which is not straight forward once used although do expel water when winding up.Much prefer an expandable one. (y)
Any particular brand please

OP
OP
Belledog
Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
I use a 15metre expanding hose for everything, filling the tank up, washing the car and motorhome. You get them in different lengths and they shrink to nothing for storage. (y)
Which brand Mikey

OP
OP
Belledog
Apr 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 696
Exp
I’m a newbie
Thank you all so much. Sounds like the expanding hose is the way to go then. Any particular brand.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Flat hose.. Had one for about 15 years. Was that long i cut it so now made a short one and longer version.
Mine rolls up on itself and taken very little room, keep them in small Jiffy bags in the door pocket. Only use when i really need to such as at Aires with free water and i want to totally fill the tank. Bit of a pain to get going sometimes with any kinks but does the job for me.

Food grade hoses, always a debate. 20 years with a motorhome and always normal hoses. Still here so far. (y)
Let you know the outcome in another 20 years (hopefully).. :whistle2:

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I've been using a flat hose for many years because it's compact to store. I also have a short normal hose for use when the tap is within a couple of metres.

The flat hose shouldn't be kinked, especially where it enters the water fill point. This is easily overcome by adding a short length of normal hose to the end. My first flat hose suffered from pinholes developing in the pipe wall, presumably from overpressure. No such problems with my second hose by avoiding kinks.

The flat hose needs to be fully unrolled. Rolling it back into the cassette and expelling the remaining water can be a tad time consuming. But, overall, it works well for me.

I use this Italian made "Water Block" for connecting the normal hose to the water inlet:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We carry a flat one for emergencies only used it twice in 12 years, taken it off the cassette as easier to store.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Have tried the flat hoses that need to be fully unwound & they are faster to fill but like this Brunner 3 core food grade hose pipe as can be used on the roll . Had one for 7 years & still like new:
1615732777923.png

Latest version is in blue & grey (as below) but it's 3 core so not to be confused with the standard flat hose on a reel that has to be fully unwound to use it but look similar on the reel.

1615733580378.png

For expandable food grade pipe with a 5 year warranty - the FITT YoYo https://www.yoyoextendablehose.co.uk/ is worth considering - lots of sellers depending on length you want.

1615733214437.png

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Flat hose.. Had one for about 15 years. Was that long i cut it so now made a short one and longer version.
Mine rolls up on itself and taken very little room, keep them in small Jiffy bags in the door pocket. Only use when i really need to such as at Aires with free water and i want to totally fill the tank. Bit of a pain to get going sometimes with any kinks but does the job for me.

Food grade hoses, always a debate. 20 years with a motorhome and always normal hoses. Still here so far. (y)
Let you know the outcome in another 20 years (hopefully).. :whistle2:
I guess it does depend on how lucky you feel, but I suspect most would agree that not to use food grade storage or cooking pots and pans etc is not wise.

Some things that can be found in non-food safe hoses are Lead, BPA, and phthalates, why add to exposure to this stuff if we can avoid it by trying to save a couple of quid.

Lead, BPA, phthalates

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back