The first step...how long and which direction...? (1 Viewer)

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I am in Manchester travelling to France. As this is my first time to France. I am not sure how long it will take me to travel to the Chunnel \ Dover. But I am guessing 6 - 7 hours. ::bigsmile:riving2:Slightly less for the Chunnel or I am misguided :whatthe:

2 hours for the crossing :helptitanic: and I am on the other side, which 9 - 10 hour day. I am guessing I will be ready some 'Egyptian PT' .

So start at night to get in France bright and early, but knackered or normal start to get there at the end of the day and a desperate drive to find a bed for the night :whatthe:

Also I guess an unsocial departure time at the port = cheaper crossing :thumb:

I am flying solo, co-pilot hasn't got her wings :winky:

Anybody got any thoughts on this matter?

Dave

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi ya Zen, we only live down the road from you and go to France at least twice a year.

Our experience is that it takes us around the 5-5.5 hour mark to the port.
Trust me that's a long drive (especially home) so we tend to do the following.

We set off at lunch time on a leisurely drive, we M40, to avoid the Datford crossing and go anti clockwise on the car park (M25) .

Arrive at Dover and get a ferry, or sleep on the sea front. We have found it best to get accross the water and then park up on Calais aire or drive 20+ miles to a few aires we know.

Sleep well, awake, shake dreams from your head and cruise on down to where your going.

This way you are awake and refreshed to start your holiday.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we allow 7 hours from scarborough to dover but we have to contend with the wonderful A64, which can mean 1.5 hours just to get to the A1 (50miles):Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
But where in France are you headed for Dave?

Surely that will determine which crossing you use? It can make a big difference to the miles you need to drive in France.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9

Surely that will determine which crossing you use? It can make a big difference to the miles you need to drive in France.

Good point, but never in our thinking. I like to know that when I get to Dover I can get a boat pretty much straight away, for £50 return. I Know Brittany is a decent drive away from Calais, but it is a lovely drive never the less.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

thought everyone knew.....your motorhoming holiday starts when you turn the ign key at home..:thumb:

the drive is just as much fun as the destination, or it when you get to france.

OP
OP
Z

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
My dilemma is when the whistle blow on Fri 5 pm and I am out of the trap. Last checks and all that and ready to shoot the goose. Should I set off on Saturday or should I wait til the traffic is lighter on the Sunday?

The get to the other side, get your head down sounds like a plan.

Hi ya Zen, we only live down the road from you and go to France at least twice a year.

Our experience is that it takes us around the 5-5.5 hour mark to the port.
Trust me that's a long drive (especially home) so we tend to do the following.

We set off at lunch time on a leisurely drive, we M40, to avoid the Datford crossing and go anti clockwise on the car park (M25) .

Arrive at Dover and get a ferry, or sleep on the sea front. We have found it best to get accross the water and then park up on Calais aire or drive 20+ miles to a few aires we know.

Sleep well, awake, shake dreams from your head and cruise on down to where your going.

This way you are awake and refreshed to start your holiday.

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
Dave you can get your head down on the car park after crossing,cost nothing and is safe .drive out the port after breakfast an on your way ,we do it every time.and you meet lots of people all full of it full holiday ahead of em

dave

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Good point, but never in our thinking. I like to know that when I get to Dover I can get a boat pretty much straight away, for £50 return. I Know Brittany is a decent drive away from Calais, but it is a lovely drive never the less.:thumb:

£50 return? Seriously..? :whatthe:

There must be some special conditions, like bring your own oars..?

Or am I just being gullible?

David

OP
OP
Z

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Yeh, but tend to think Dover\Flexistowe and Portsmouth are equidistant from Manchester give a take a few miles :RollEyes:

Plan to bob around Normandy and Brittany so Calais or Cherbourg?

I haven't sussed out the itinerary as yet but tend to think Calais and head south :thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Zen

We travel down from Dumfries and normally leave here about 4.30-5pm and get crossing then have a kip. I personally feel fresher this way rather than sleep at dover and get early crossing but everyone to their own.
If your getting the tunnel once you come off at other side you can stay the night in the cite de europe (think thats what ist called) shopping centre they have a carpark for motorhomes when we did this last year we shared it with about 15 other motorhomes so felt really safe. You can drive to it from the ferry in about 20 mins i think but as someone else says you can park at the ferry terminal loads of vans there also.

Cheers Gerry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back