Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
Priory School in Lewes, East Sussex banned skirts last year in order to introduce a more gender-neutral uniform.

"Headteacher Tony Smith said the measures were brought in to address short skirt complaints as well as to assist transgender students in their transition."

IMHO It would have been better in the interest of fairness and interest :rolleyes: to have banned trousers for the boys. Reason being boys wear shorts to be cool (anti-social in older men IMHO) so they would welcome the introduction of kilts. Rather than forcing the girls to be masculine. It would also help the minority of transgenders at schools to make the transition :whistle: more successfully.

Any thoughts, serious or otherwise?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Priory School in Lewes, East Sussex banned skirts last year in order to introduce a more gender-neutral uniform.

"Headteacher Tony Smith said the measures were brought in to address short skirt complaints as well as to assist transgender students in their transition."

IMHO It would have been better in the interest of fairness and interest :rolleyes: to have banned trousers for the boys. Reason being boys wear shorts to be cool (anti-social in older men IMHO) so they would welcome the introduction of kilts. Rather than forcing the girls to be masculine. It would also help the minority of transgenders at schools to make the transition :whistle: more successfully.

Any thoughts, serious or otherwise?

My thoughts on this for what they are worth....The worlds gone mad :rolleyes:.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Bugger , I love my skirt :love:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Don't know about gender neutral, but certainly a lot more practical. Hated wearing skirts both at school and when a dress was the uniform. easier to maintain ones dignity in trousers.
am sure those who like looking up skirts, or putting their hands up them will be sorely disappointed though.

OP
OP
Ducto

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
Don't know about gender neutral, but certainly a lot more practical. Hated wearing skirts both at school and when a dress was the uniform. easier to maintain ones dignity in trousers.
am sure those who like looking up skirts, or putting their hands up them will be sorely disappointed though.

A very odd statement!

As a youth during the 60s the mini-skirts were in and fantastic but nobody took much notice except the school who curtailed the length. Dignity only fell if a female was openly casual in her demeanour.

I think very few took more than a look before seeing it as normal - :D

You should have worn longer skirts and gone against the fashion!

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Well, the thread's called "The end of the school skirt"
I grew up in the fifties and sixties with 2 sisters. As far as our mum and dad were concerned, the end of the skirt was much too near the start of the skirt.:D2

OP
OP
Ducto

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
my main question is what are you doing posting it under motorhomes in the news?

however I read it, school skirts and motorhomes don't freely end up in the same sentence :LOL:
Don't know how that happened but thanks for bringing it to my attention

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
my main question is what are you doing posting it under motorhomes in the news?

however I read it, school skirts and motorhomes don't freely end up in the same sentence :LOL:
Well, if they did end up in the same sentence, motorhomes would definitely be in the news.:D2

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I know we had problems around here because boys were not allowed to wear shorts in hot weather so some turned up in skirts which were allowed because girls could wear them. As I no longer have children of school age I couldn't care either way.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I remember when we battled to get trousers allowed in the winter, they allowed it in the end.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I remember when we battled to get trousers allowed in the winter, they allowed it in the end.

I was forced to wear shorts all winter.

If skirts are banned for reasons of gender equality, why should headscarves still be allowed in schools. They haven't thought this through.

The Welsh Wizard

Free Member
Jul 24, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2016
So who are the pervs? :sicker: assuming there are any. I'm totally lost as to how this topic came into this forum-:wondering: Life's too short to get so worked up over trivial matters- Have fun out there:Grin:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    671 bytes · Views: 3

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
A very odd statement!

As a youth during the 60s the mini-skirts were in and fantastic but nobody took much notice except the school who curtailed the length. Dignity only fell if a female was openly casual in her demeanour.

I think very few took more than a look before seeing it as normal - :D

You should have worn longer skirts and gone against the fashion!

Not as odd a comment as you might think. I used to teach " challenging" kids and in at least one of the schools I went to female staff were told not to wear skirts or dresses, due to the behaviour of many of the children. I was also advised never to walk down the stairs in front of them either !
I've never understood the British obsession with uniform and can't see why kids can't wear what they feel comfortable in. Millions of other kids around the world manage it.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I think it's racist. I'm Scottish, does that mean that I can't wear my 'skirt'? :whistle:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
There's one school of thought that suggests that a school uniform "levels the playing field" of the haves and have nots, kids from poorer families who can't afford to go to school "all logo'd up" are often a target for bullying.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back