LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
The breed standard also describes the ideal temperament --- and neither the dog nor the bitch showed the ideal characteristics at all. The bitch looked terrified, the dog overly excitable and not trained or controlled properly. An absolute disgrace that the judge allowed these dogs through and the vet on duty didn't stop them going into the ring.

The only positive thing I can say is in the final for best in show all the dogs looked in great condition and looked happy to be there. The Westie was a deserved winner, beautiful dog bred by the owner handler who keeps her dogs in the house with her.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
@DBK as above, he looks lovely. You are right about the shorter nose - my brother has a border terrorist who looks like that; he is a smashing dog, though. Lovely temperament. both the below are rescues; the idiot on the left is a failed gun-dog and the tame rat on the right is nearly 16, which shows the longevity of mutts

image.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My idiots are both pedigree but from strong working lines where the so called "breed standard" isn't considered as important - neither of them meet it, even so they both might field trial one day if they can control their natural stupidity for long enough. In those events what the dog can do is more important than what it looks like.

freddie.jpg
george.jpg

I'm not going to try and defend the Kennel Club over this incident as they are obviously failing badly with GSDs and that dog shouldn't have been within a mile of a show ring. GSDs have been failing as a breed for a long time and not just due to the breed standard, because too many people want them as pets their natural aggression has been bred out and this has made them far too timid.

The KC do try and do good where they can but in general they are fighting a losing battle with the individual breed groups and organisations affiliated with them. The unnatural toy breeds are an example of this - none of them should exist and they have far too many health problems but people keep on breeding them. The problem is that if the KC dropped a breed it wouldn't solve anything - the breed organisation would carry on independently and the breeders would keep going without any kind of control on them at all and the breed would get steadily worse.

The Assured Breeder scheme is supposed to put enough responsibilities on the breeder so that this of thing doesn't happen and for the most part it is working, especially where people can be made aware of it and convinced to pay a little more rather than go to a puppy farm. If anything needs banning it's those bloody places.

I'm quite interested to see what they choose to do about this case.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I believe to get to show a pedigree dog at Crufts, they have to win THREE other KC shows....so this GSD has been chosen 3 other times. This is appalling by any standards.

I have had 3 pedigree mini Schnauzers. Why? Because I love them and because they don't shed and I need a dog that won't make me itch.

My two Cockerpoos also don't make me itch and I love them too. To date as a crossbreed they have very few health issues according to my vet.

Reactions: DBK
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Damn Kennel Club just charged me £16 to change my address details, well it was free but I had to join their Petlog Premium Account first!
If that GSD was best in breed heaven knows what the rest looked like.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I believe to get to show a pedigree dog at Crufts, they have to win THREE other KC shows.

It's only one event and there are other ways to qualify.

In the case of this GSD it qualified via a win at another show.

Broken Link Removed

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
In the parrot world things are different. There are 2 ways of looking at things. Our bird Tango is a cross between a greenwing and a blue and gold macaw, They are crossed to make a different colour than their parents and make a very good temperament, which usually makes a good pet. In the parrot world there are a few breeds that are bread to keep a colour. For instance the Ringneck is bread for different mutations, but this is for colour only and not to change the shape or build of the bird.

Some breeders are against crossing macaws as all breeds of macaws are endangered species these people don't like the idea of making non pure bloodlines.

Both Tangos parents were bread in the UK not captured from the wild, so I feel happy that we have done nothing ecologically bad.

Why some people breed animals to hurt them is not humane, and disgusts me when I see a Sharpei with that many wrinkles it cant see or a pug that cant breathe it makes me feel very sad for the dog.

edited tango.jpg

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I used to breed mini schnauzers , i had a large farm house with land and after i bought my first and only schnauzer i decided to do it as ethically as possible. I took one look at the place where i bought her from and i admit i was saddened that dogs were bred in such conditions ,it was quite obvious that the breeders only source of income came from dogs. My little schnauzer had not been exposed to people enough and was quite timid. When we bred her for the first time it was a learning experience, i set her up a few places around the house where she could have herself a "cave" in the end she preferred to be under the corner table in the living room ,where she gave birth to 6 pups. I advertised the pups for sale ,people would phone up and ask if they were "show quality" i would reply that i dont breed "show dogs" i breed pets.When people came to pick their pups up at 8 weeks,the pups by then had lived in a house for all of their lives,had been exposed to people,two cats,horses and charlie the Labrador cross ,i had even taken them down the paddock for a run or two,that was hillarious. I also refused to sell one pup to a lady who was totaly unprepared for a puppy.

I still have Misty my mini schnauzer and one of her daughters , misty is 16 years old and in a very healthy condition for a dog her age,we also have a cavachon .

I feel a lot of anger towards puppy farms and the KC club , pedigree dogs can live lifes that are full and without problems caused by inbreeding to certain standards ,i find the nature of mini schanauzers and giant schnauzer to be first class (im not knocking anyone elses dog ) i just love schnauzers.

we have three little dogs and love them to bits,they are quite spoiled

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Prior to my present love affair with border collies, I always had GSD. Its very true about the aggression being bred out of them and them now being excessively timid.
I came across a GSD/Rottie cross who had a fantastic temprement. I assume the self confidence of the Rottie overcame the nerves of the GSD.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
It's only one event and there are other ways to qualify.

In the case of this GSD it qualified via a win at another show.

Broken Link Removed

My point is *This poor crippled dog has already won at a previous show* so more than one judge needs to go to Specsavers! Maybe the judges should be scrapped along with the poor dogs!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My point is *This poor crippled dog has already won at a previous show* so more than one judge needs to go to Specsavers! Maybe the judges should be scrapped along with the poor dogs!

I completely agree.

The KC are going to need to act quite quickly. I'm interested to see what they do.

I don't know anything about the GSD breed association for the UK so don't know whether they're likely to be particularly bolshy or obstructive.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sadly its nothing that specsavers can cure. its the name of the breeder/handler that the judges pick by. whether they are part of the in crowd with connection to other judges. then you have to realise that if one judge is seen to disagree with others, especially those higher up the ladder, that is damaging to their prospects as a judge

my family used to show staffordshire bull terriers and believe me, experience shows the show world is truly corrupt to its core

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Prior to my present love affair with border collies, I always had GSD. Its very true about the aggression being bred out of them and them now being excessively timid.
I came across a GSD/Rottie cross who had a fantastic temprement. I assume the self confidence of the Rottie overcame the nerves of the GSD.
The best rescue we ever had was a GSD/Rottie/Husky cross. She was (and still is) wonderful. Total oaf, though.......

image.jpeg

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
aaww bless her, she has a lovely face and beautiful kind eyes :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
aaww bless her, she has a lovely face and beautiful kind eyes :)
Don't be deceived - those paws are like plates of meat; she also goes from A to B in a straight line........ She is now with a wonderful owner and we still see her quite often

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back