The Disabled Motorist (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Now this could be just the thread for George (seriously no pun intended)
Motorhomes with no vat, rules and how they can be bent:Blush:

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Grath

I cannot see anything wrong with the link, where does it mention any of the frauds that you talk of?

Or maybe you are just trying to cause trouble? if so why?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Grath

I cannot see anything wrong with the link, where does it mention any of the frauds that you talk of?

Or maybe you are just trying to cause trouble? if so why?

George
Why do you say that I am trying to cause trouble????
This is a serious subject and I thought that you may know more about it.
It was on Radio 4 this week about fraudulent claims for VAT relief for motor vehicles for disabled people.
They were saying that there is no limit to the amount of vehicles that a disabled person may buy and that some are reselling to dealers over and over again.
I ask why am I causing trouble?????

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
So why mention my name in your post, why would I be interested?

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
So why mention my name in your post, why would I be interested?

I thought that as you seem to read a lot and are able to pull up information on nearly everything, that you may be able to help people with a little information on the subject.
As I said on the previous post "no pun intended".
I apologies if it came out wrong but I think that you took it wrong.
George, we must put our past arguments behind us.
I also thought that it would be of interest to you as it is a serious subject

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:whatthe: It's rather Ironic that this should come up at this moment in time. I have just been reading the local Village newspaper. There is an International Disabled Sportsman and one or two of his disabled friends under investigation for buying and selling on at a profit various high spec Motors that were purchased under the Disabled VAT scheme. :whatthe:

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
:whatthe: It's rather Ironic that this should come up at this moment in time. I have just been reading the local Village newspaper. There is an International Disabled Sportsman and one or two of his disabled friends under investigation for buying and selling on at a profit various high spec Motors that were purchased under the Disabled VAT scheme. :whatthe:

Yes John, they mentioned that also on Radio 4
Pity that George has had to make it nasty

M

melplash

Deleted User
no, George has not made it nasty. You are taunting him. You should be ashamed.

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
no, George has not made it nasty. You are taunting him. You should be ashamed.

Do you really think so??
You do not know me at all then do you?
What you see is what you get and if you dont like it, so what!
I am not that devious ask others :Mad::Mad::Mad:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If I may add to this
WHY do the disabled get VAT relief on Motorhomes?
this is not intended as a poke at the disabled, I firmly belive they should get ans deserve all the help they can get for every day living, but it puzzels me why a Motorhome falls into this catagory, it appears it is a loophole designed for the get rich quick brigade, and in my opinion it wants either closing or regulating,
If it is claimed that a MH is reqd for an every day vehicle and vat relief will be forth coming then say one purhase every 3 years or so would seem a reasonable scheme
Shoot me down whu dont Ya
Geo

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Well,
I against my better judgement, I tried to talk along with George and tried to include him in my posts. Maybe I tried too hard as I wanted to put the bad feelings from Wild camping when George and his mates got banned behind us.
I now wish that I did not bother and again I am left with the feeling of dare I post, is it worth it??
Where is the fun in that??

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
If it is claimed that a MH is reqd for an every day vehicle and vat relief will be forth coming then say one purhase every 3 years or so would seem a reasonable scheme
Geo

::bigsmile: I do agree with all you say Geo. But perhaps Paul (ukrv) would be best answering this? He has been there and done that. It is his home. :winky:

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
If I may add to this
WHY do the disabled get VAT relief on Motorhomes?
this is not intended as a poke at the disabled, I firmly belive they should get ans deserve all the help they can get for every day living, but it puzzels me why a Motorhome falls into this catagory, it appears it is a loophole designed for the get rich quick brigade, and in my opinion it wants either closing or regulating,
Geo

Geo, that is the type of post that I wanted, thanks mate.
I was interested as when I recently purchased my m/h i went along to Lazy Days and they tried their best to get me to find a disabled person within my family so that I could buy from them.
They told me that any little disability would do, when in fact the disabled person has to be confined to a wheel chair (I think).
Maybe some one could tell us more as this is all I wanted.

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Geo, that is the type of post that I wanted, thanks mate.
I was interested as when I recently purchased my m/h i went along to Lazy Days and they tried their best to get me to find a disabled person within my family so that I could buy from them.
They told me that any little disability would do, when in fact the disabled person has to be confined to a wheel chair (I think).
Maybe some one could tell us more as this is all I wanted.

Now George I will take a chance and ask again.
I just thought it would be a decent subject to get discussed

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
OK Grath

ask me a question, what exactly do you want to know?

George

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Well, when I was looking for a M/H a few months ago, the salesman at Lazy Days told me that if I had a family member with a blue badge window sticker then I could buy a new M/H vat free.
He said that any disability would do including a breathing disability and including a distant relative.
On looking on web sites I concluded that the disability had to be at least wheelchair bound and possible bed bound and be a close family member.
I could have found a distant relative but not wheel chair bound and I thought it too much of a chance to take, therefore I did not buy from them.
Had I done so I think that the vat man would have probably have come after me at a later date.
If this is correct, then maybe other members should be aware of the tactics that some dealers will use to get a sale.
Thanks

Last edited:
G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Grath

Maybe I am missing something, what is your question?

George

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Well, when I was looking for a M/H a few months ago, the salesman at Lazy Days told me that if I had a family member with a blue badge window sticker then I could buy a new M/H vat free.
He said that any disability would do including a breathing disability and including a distant relative.
On looking on web sites I concluded that the disability had to be at least wheelchair bound and possible bed bound and be a close family member.
I could have found a distant relative but not wheel chair bound and I thought it too much of a chance to take, therefore I did not buy from them.
Had I done so I think that the vat man would have probably have come after me at a later date.
If this is correct, then maybe other members should be aware of the tactics that some dealers will use to get a sale.
Thanks George

My question is
Does the disabled person have to be at least wheelchair bound, and how close a relative?
If yes to wheelchair, watch out if you buy from Lazy Days

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi George I am trying to get my head around your method of answering others posts,
you appear to like straight forward questions and i suspect that logic plays a big part in your thinking, to help me make a judgement
here is a question for you
you are offered for sale either of two identical pocket waches,, they are both the same price and you must buy one of them
one does not work at all, and the other gains 5 min's a day
which one are you going to buy and why
Geo

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hi George I am trying to get my head around your method of answering others posts,
you appear to like straight forward questions and i suspect that logic plays a big part in your thinking, to help me make a judgement
here is a question for you
you are offered for sale either of two identical pocket waches,, they are both the same price and you must buy one of them
one does not work at all, and the other gains 5 min's a day
which one are you going to buy and why
Geo

oooh! I know, I know...!!

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi George
"to help me make a judgement
here is a question for you"

Why would I want to be judged?

Questions are a burden to others, Answers are a prison for oneself..........

M

melplash

Deleted User
Questions are a burden to others, Answers are a prison for oneself........

What an interesting concept.

I am concerned that we are all being judged and that we should be judging others.Will we be asked questions on our findings and actions at some point.

Which watch would you go for Geo?

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
Getting back to the original question.......... As i understand the VAT free purchase a member of the family ( does not state how close ) must be under normal circumstances reliant on a wheelchair , but certain ilnesses and disabilities do not qualify. At present the system is open to abuse and is not policed

Geo the watch that does,nt work......... it would be correct twice aday :roflmto:

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
My question is
Does the disabled person have to be at least wheelchair bound, and how close a relative?

There are two seperate issues here, one is the VAT free element and the other is the Motobility scheme.

For VAT the disabled person must be wheelchair or stretcher bound (not an occassional user) and it can be any family member (no limit on the distance of the relative seems to be specified)

This is specified in VAT notice 701/59 (March 2002) and the relevant legislation is

The Value Added Tax Act 1994, section 30 holds that goods and services specified in Schedule 8 to the Act are zero-rated.

The Value Added Tax Act 1994, Schedule 8, Group 12, items 2(f), 2A, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 14 (as amended and inserted by Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 754 on 1 April 2001) specifies when motor vehicles for disabled people can be zero-rated.

On motobility if you are prepared to cheat virtually anyone can get it, there is even a website/forum dedicated to assisting you in defrauding the system. The truth of the matter is that a genuine case is far more likely to fail....

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Which watch would you go for Geo?
I was hoping for an answer from GT but he answered with a question, that in it's self tells me all i need to know

Logic dictates that the one that doesnt work is the one to buy
common sense dictates the other:winky:
Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back