The curious case of the missing 'i' (1 Viewer)

Jun 1, 2016
Chesham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since April 2016
Having just solved a problem that gave an insight into how dealers work you might be interested in the following:

In April 2016 we took delivery of a new Hymer B704 PL from Lowdhams at Nottingham- the PL denotes Premium Line and the vehicles carries the title in four places on the bodywork. We know that the salesman checked the vehicle against specification (because he rang us to confirm). Because of diaries there was a delay a few weeks before we could take delivery. The person cleaning the van a few days before handover reported that one of the letters was missing form the logo on the left side of the vehicle. There were no manufacturing faults at handover except for the missing letter though the van did have to go back on multiple occasions to correct errors to dealer fitted items. My mind was focused on that and the response to enquires about the missing letter were along the lines of - "can you find a local signwriter who can match the typeface? There is no way we can get the factory to supply a missing ' I '"

IMG_1247 2.JPG

Now eighteen months later and at the Caravan Salon we went to the customer service desk in the Hymer hall. I presented the photograph (attached) and my VIN number, the record was then brought up on the computer. The guys in Dusseldorf confirmed that Lowdhams had not raised an issue, sent an email or any other comment. They had raised a warranty issue for a cracked windscreen that had meant a new windscreen (a few months after delivery). There was much concern from Hymer at the Salon that I wasn't happy with that repair - I was able to assure them no problems remained with the windscreen..

The missing 'I' needs a complete new sticker (as expected). I was told that I can order the replacement via a dealer Hymer part 2437473. The cost is €13 and at the exchange rate at the time of delivery would have cost £9.77. I have ordered the part from Premier Motorhomes as they are particularly good at using the Hymer spares system.

IMG_1246.JPG
I asked the Hymer guy why Lowdhams had not done the same thing. His explantation was interesting; that as they had confirmed that everything was correct on the system upon delivery to them they would have to pay for the error as (€13). If they had discovered it before indicating acceptance on the system then Hymer would have picked up the bill. Its not covered by warranty in the normal way. So its clear that Lowdhams wanted to avoid the £9.77 fee as it was discovered after acceptance and there was a resolution available to them.

I have just discovered as I was writing this that Hymer quoted me the trade price, the retail price is €31.90. So you can see what a lucrative business the spares parts business is.

Before placing the order for the van I had gone through Lowdham's accounts to work out the margins they were making, as part of the negotiating (what I do for a living). Having done a conservative assessment of the numbers and the re-work to correct errors I calculated that they had made a loss on the sale. So their avoiding the paltry sum shows how the corporate mind works.

Cavet Emptor - buyer beware as the Romans say - only problem is that I have not found another dealer in the UK who doesn't pull these tricks but I am sure you know that.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Some clumsy "apprentice" might have accidentally removed the missing "I" during the pre-handover cleaning.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Do you think you would have been able to get that information (Lowdhams not ordering) from Hymer direct other than by visiting them say by email or phone instead?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Sorry, but I am a little confused by your post and your complaints about the dealer. You imply at the end that you had a great deal and that you think they made a loss, yet you are grumbling about this small item. Whilst I agree there should be no faults on a new van no matter the agreed price, it does seem a bit over the top grumbling especially as you have now got an inexpensive fix.

Have I missed something?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Cavet Emptor - buyer beware as the Romans say - only problem is that I have not found another dealer in the UK who doesn't pull these tricks but I am sure you know that.
I am sorry about your problems with Lowdhams. But please don't damn all dealers because of those dealings. I got my Hymer new from Becks, although it has been on their forecourt for a long time. They have been brilliant at liaising with Hymer where necessary (and the other manufacturers of the items in the van, such as Dometic) when things went wrong and getting them all fixed. I know for sure that they took some of them on the chin themselves, but did so without any complaint or hesitation.

As a small example they replaced the double glazed cab window (glass not plastic) because of misting between the sealed panes and Hymer paid for that. However a few weeks later I noticed that a small decal on the window, which prevented people seeing in when the blinds were closed, had not been replaced. They just got a local vehicle decal expert to come in and match the one on the other side and fix it.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Sorry, but I am a little confused by your post and your complaints about the dealer. You imply at the end that you had a great deal and that you think they made a loss, yet you are grumbling about this small item. Whilst I agree there should be no faults on a new van no matter the agreed price, it does seem a bit over the top grumbling especially as you have now got an inexpensive fix.

Have I missed something?

Annie,

I think the OP is not happy to have been the subject of Falsehood by Lowdhams. It's not the value, I suspect but the principal that, notwithstanding that the OP got a good deal, he should not have received the lie.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
€31.90 OMG!

I know what I would do...

I would the "I"s from the other three logos and they would all match...

(€31.90 would pay for three Double Whopper Menu meals WITH extra cheese and bacon but no pickle.)

JJ :cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Annie,

I think the OP is not happy to have been the subject of Falsehood by Lowdhams. It's not the value, I suspect but the principal that, notwithstanding that the OP got a good deal, he should not have received the lie.

Then in that case he should have confronted Lowdhams rather than ordering the part himself with I suspect great problems in fitting the transfer assuming the original is under clear lacquer, something Lowdhams would have known only too well.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Then in that case he should have confronted Lowdhams rather than ordering the part himself with I suspect great problems in fitting the transfer assuming the original is under clear lacquer, something Lowdhams would have known only too well.
Can only agree Brian,

I know I'm a Tyke (with a Scottish mother) but regardless of the cost of the part I'd be ranting at Lowdhams in their premises with as loud a voice (I don't do quiet) as I could muster.
I listened to habitual liars for thirty years. I had to accept that. I wouldn't accept that as part of my life now.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We are surrounded by lies, masquerading as economies of truth, every day. Not that we should accept it, though.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Oh dear nearly forgot. I am on my way to Portugal in 2 weeks time. Do you think @JJ would like some more pies..LOL

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I'm sure that you do everything you do for cost price, refusing to make a profit.

Processing orders costs money, no matter how big or small the part is, that sticker price will be the 'ex works' price, you have to package and deliver it for that , and the buyer had to process and pay for it and it all costs money, as do the premises to run and people to employ.

While £30 for a sticker seems excessive, I wish folk would understand where there bloody wages come from .

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Oh dear nearly forgot. I am on my way to Portugal in 2 weeks time. Do you think @JJ would like some more pies..LOL

Deffo! But please do give it a miss if only kidneys or chicken .... Beef(y); Beef and onions(y) Other than that ... whoops!:sick:

Oh and if you forgot and you really want to be nice to him ... I would thing a jar of instant coffee "Carte Noire" will get him over the moon !

Ps: Of course I never told you anything....:whistle:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I'm sure that you do everything you do for cost price, refusing to make a profit.

Processing orders costs money, no matter how big or small the part is, that sticker price will be the 'ex works' price, you have to package and deliver it for that , and the buyer had to process and pay for it and it all costs money, as do the premises to run and people to employ.

While £30 for a sticker seems excessive, I wish folk would understand where there bloody wages come from .
If €13 is the trade price then Lowdhams must have bought from Hymer at that price so they sell it for €31:90
Not a bad profit on reselling a sticker.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
As if I would. I am known for keeping quiet LOL. But thanks for the advise .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back