Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Go to Brownhills lokk around the showroom and stay overnight. FREE
That's the only way you can now see Brownhills stuff as they don't do shows now but the free overnighting is only for previous customers of theirs.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I can't use the search facility, but didn't you start a thread about making satellite dishes from abandoned metal dustbin lids a few years back?

Apologies if I am mistaken, it must have been another Northerner:D
Love it.....:LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Strange as it sounds GJH the cost of motorhome shows is about the only expenditure that penny pinching folk from north of The Wash don't complain about. This is what was puzzling to me and prompted this thread.:)
Well I'm a Northerner and am very thrifty so I suppose I would fall into the above category to some extent but its not restricted to just Northerners ... there's being thrift, ie being careful with money and not paying over the odds, and then there's penny pinching (such as eating FB pies and not puttied carrots in pasties) so I'm no too bad!:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I can't use the search facility, but didn't you start a thread about making satellite dishes from abandoned metal dustbin lids a few years back?

Apologies if I am mistaken, it must have been another Northerner:D
No, nothing that expensive. Mine was the second hand tin foil and recycled cardboard one.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
We eat out on a friday .... nothing flash, pub grub and a couple of rounds of drinks £60 minimum.2 hours tops.

Never done a show, but im guessing that they are all much of a muchness

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
How about the one of the guy with a Flair and likes a bit of fun that insisted on driving all the way to Spain avoiding tolls to save his brass even when it was inconvenient.
That should start you off(y)
Actually we thoroughly enjoyed the trip, it was more to do with finding a different route for a change of scenery driving down more than saving money, but we did anyway(y)

As I said we really enjoyed it so going back to Bay of Roses in 4 weeks time and guess what, correct "no tolls".

Martin (from Yorkshire)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If you have squeezed your toothpaste tube and removed every last bit since the day you started cleaning your teeth how much money have you saved?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I personally wish all shows were banned. They cost us a fortune, customers suspend common sense and start buying weird crap they will never use, rouge traders turn up, open up their boot, put up a gazebo, a table, and a couple of pulls up banners and become "experts" on whatever they are selling that weekend:(

Worse still is the people wander round quoting them "there is a man over there selling a TV that will work in Spain" "This frying pan will cook anything, with no oil and you can clean it with a screwdriver and it won't scratch" or "If I polish my van with this polish I can set it on for with maths and it won't burn"

"That would be the metal bonnet then:rolleyes:"

Hygiene? Hah! Imagine arriving at the Van Bitz stand to see the staff of the stand opposite roll out of their lorry, yawning and stretching (and scratching:sick:) and start loading the hot plate with yesterday's, now cold produce! When I say lorry I mean the refrigerated one that everything arrived in, a lorry, no water, toilets or hand washing "are we still thinking about breakfast boys?"

Shows? Pah! Who have 'em lol

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I personally wish all shows were banned. They cost us a fortune, customers suspend common sense and start buying weird crap they will never use, rouge traders turn up, open up their boot, put up a gazebo, a table, and a couple of pulls up banners and become "experts" on whatever they are selling that weekend:(

Worse still is the people wander round quoting them "there is a man over there selling a TV that will work in Spain" "This frying pan will cook anything, with no oil and you can clean it with a screwdriver and it won't scratch" or "If I polish my van with this polish I can set it on for with maths and it won't burn"

"That would be the metal bonnet then:rolleyes:"

Hygiene? Hah! Imagine arriving at the Van Bitz stand to see the staff of the stand opposite roll out of their lorry, yawning and stretching (and scratching:sick:) and start loading the hot plate with yesterday's, now cold produce! When I say lorry I mean the refrigerated one that everything arrived in, a lorry, no water, toilets or hand washing "are we still thinking about breakfast boys?"

Shows? Pah! Who have 'em lol
Never envy the serious traders at a trade show. Been there, done that - what you don't mention are the endless people asking really, really dumb questions (not lack of knowledge, which is ok, but just plain stupid) utter time wasters that you have to be polite to (no matter what the desire to shake them warmly by the throat), people who will steal anything that is not nailed down (even if it is completely useless) and the very long hours. It is exhausting and fairly thankless. Hats off to you and other traders Eddie & Co. So glad I don't have to do these any more

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
No, nothing that expensive. Mine was the second hand tin foil and recycled cardboard one.
Just don't ask where he got the tin foil or indeed the cardboard....

.....clue - last seen rooting in the bins behind the local Indian takeaway after it was shut down by the local council

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Go to Brownhills lokk around the showroom and stay overnight. FREE
If you can afford BROWNHILLS (don't think they have a van under £24000) then you can afford to pay to go into a show. Its a matter of choice,,,either go or don't,,,big fuss about nothing,,,BUSBY...:):)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
stop whining and suck it up cup cake. Your rich anyway:beerchug:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The weekend is 4 days long though
I do hope it stays dry for you DB unlike the experience of Peterborough in the rain. Bob's and Ezzie's account of the show always makes me smile;) have a read.:D

Quote: The lake is getting bigger and bigger.. could soon land a flight of geese... saw some ducks giving it the once over a while back... may be I can float off tomorrow.

See the tractors are still at it.. one poor sod had his flashers going for 2 hours before they got to him.. very few to my drivers side mostly further down the hill to the side.. but can see the tractors beacons going in the distance.. same the other side in the CC&C area.. a couple tractors down there.

Have not seen anyone to speak to this morning / afternoon. However having a good conversation with Ezzie.. swear she has answered me back or was that Sue?:)
Anyone remember this Peterborough show?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I do hope it stays dry for you DB unlike the experience of Peterborough in the rain. Bob's and Ezzie's account of the show always makes me smile;) have a read.:D

Quote: The lake is getting bigger and bigger.. could soon land a flight of geese... saw some ducks giving it the once over a while back... may be I can float off tomorrow.

See the tractors are still at it.. one poor sod had his flashers going for 2 hours before they got to him.. very few to my drivers side mostly further down the hill to the side.. but can see the tractors beacons going in the distance.. same the other side in the CC&C area.. a couple tractors down there.

Have not seen anyone to speak to this morning / afternoon. However having a good conversation with Ezzie.. swear she has answered me back or was that Sue?:)
Anyone remember this Peterborough show?
It was before our time, the last 2 years have been dry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Only ever been to a couple ..

The first one I think was Newbury.. around 2003 .. it rained all weekend.. then kept awake until the wee small hours with drunken neighbours ..

Last time we went as a day visitor, Peterborough 2009 .. met Jim, and planned on spending time with the Funsters, but weren't allowed into Funster enclosure.. something to do with not having booked with them .. whatever the reason.. we left and went home..

Lots of traders selling lots of tat .. a few selling overpriced stuff you can buy cheaper at dealer or online..

no plans to go to an other

Last edited:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I
How about the one of the guy with a Flair and likes a bit of fun that insisted on driving all the way to Spain avoiding tolls to save his brass even when it was inconvenient.
That should start you off(y)
Isn't that the guy who spent an extra €200 on fuel to save €90 tolls .lol.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Only ever been to a couple ..

The first one I think was Newbury.. around 2003 .. it rained all weekend.. then kept awake until the wee small hours with drunken neighbours ..

Last time we went as a day visitor, Peterborough 2009 .. met Jim, and planned on spending time with the Funsters, but weren't allowed into Funster enclosure.. something to do with not having booked with them .. whatever the reason.. we left and went home..

Lots of traders selling lots of tat .. a few selling overpriced stuff you can buy cheaper a dealer or online..

no plans to go to an other
I guess they are more for those who want to feel part of a community ;) similar to my membership of the Conservative party.:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I guess they are more for those who want to feel part of a community ;) similar to my membership of the Conservative party.:)

I don't need to feel part of any community .. never have never will.. I plough my own furrow

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back