The Caravan and Motorhome Club: comments and questions (1 Viewer)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Just out of interest, go on the internet and search prices for ten sites around the country at peak time and off peak. You will properly find not a lot of difference in price if it’s like for like.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
The CAMC is a business not a club, it is a very expensive way to go camping. It is controlled by an elite group who virtually control the pricing of camping in the UK and probably the main reason we cant get aires up and running.

What other business can demand an up front fee before even stepping foot on a site and still get away with charging over the top prices for a patch of ground for a night, They do provide showers and toilets if you need them but so do campsites abroad that seem to do it for a fraction of the cost .
If you complain then the attitude is so what plenty of others will pay it.
I will put you down as a “maybe” then?

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
It's pretty pointless comparing C&MC prices with sites abroad where the whole model is different. The only true comparison is with other comparable sites in this country where C&MC sites compare very favorably. I've just had five nights on a seaview pitch on the excellent site at New England Bay for £20.10 a night in August. In my view, that's good value.

Gellyneck's experience mirrors mine, I would say that on many sites now, motorhomes are in the majority, and in the low season they certainly are. An increasing number of wardens are now also motorhomers instead of caravanners.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Or maybe Shitterton or Piddlehinton.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
The CAMC is a business not a club, it is a very expensive way to go camping. It is controlled by an elite group who virtually control the pricing of camping in the UK and probably the main reason we cant get aires up and running.

What other business can demand an up front fee before even stepping foot on a site and still get away with charging over the top prices for a patch of ground for a night, They do provide showers and toilets if you need them but so do campsites abroad that seem to do it for a fraction of the cost .

Actually the C&MC do not require any payment when booking, you pay when you get there. :)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have belonged to both for years but I have just cancelled our C&MC subs today. I was trying to find somewhere to stay next week for a few days but once again everywhere I was interested in was full. We wanted to do Tuesday to Sunday. Everywhere was booked for the friday and/or saturday. This has happened each time I’ve tried this year so instead of carrying on moaning I did it. I’ll keep the C&CC for now as I more than get my money back on discounts to cover the one.

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
We use campercontact and searchfor sites at the mo we are at brecon £28 per night at camc we've had 2 nights here £56 its cost us £16 allday and night no ehu in a councill run carpark not on my watch im i paying them campsite fees and im 5mins walk from centre

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004

No, it's definitely a Club - you may feel it is run like a business, but it is definitely owned and run by Members who appoint people to look after it for them.

Personally, I am glad they run it like a business - they tell us how much money they are investing in new sites and we know how much money they have in the bank and we trust them to be good stewards of all of that.

For the price of membership with access to all the CLs I can't see what the problem is - don't like it then cancel your membership.

I just wish they would have an option not to receive their pretty dumb magazine and get a reduction in subscription or at least send it digitally (as the C and CC do) to save the paper waste created every month.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Imho its outrageous that the caravan club now describe themselves as the caravan and motorhome club, they do nothing for the majority of motorhomers in the UK unless they're happy to stay on overpriced often badly located gulags dedicated to caravanners. If they were to forward the interests of the average mher who want Aires/stellplatze why it would be different.
We use CAMC sites all the time , our choice so not complaining and Yes they are getting quite expensive. But I think it should be pointed out that they are gradually improving facilities for motorhomes in at least one important area , and that is the Grey waste points which are changing from a small grate often located too close to the building , tap ,bins etc which necessitates driving the ‘wrong ‘ way to get lose enough , into wide grids which you can easily park over and empty from either side or directly underneath whichever suits your particular unit and also have the bonus of no lifting of grates and subsequent replacing making it easier on the back etc. We’ve been on quite a few now with this new style facility and can’t fault it .
On your other comment I have to say that the sites we have been on are neither badly located or gulags but modern well kept quiet sites. If you don’t like them it’s your perogative to go elsewhere .

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
This is a perennial topic which always garners the same pro/anti lobby reactions so I haven't bothered going through all the posts but I will reply with my stock answer - for the price of a years subscription, give it a go and if you like it, great. If you don't it's only cost you about £50 and you've gained by your experience and at least you know your future decision about membership is based on your own experiences not those of someone else who probably has very different requirements to yours.

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
Sometimes like being in a playground on here.
I wonder if it’s the quest for a “UK-Stellplatz” to play around in that is the problem?
Maybe those in favour of this should form a club; a real one, that has a power base, a membership, and some mandate. Maybe even a role in organising such a development.
I don’t think it’s just the clubs that are the problem, it’s the whole commercial campsite sector that is the problem for “wild and free campers”

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We use CAMC sites all the time , our choice so not complaining and Yes they are getting quite expensive. But I think it should be pointed out that they are gradually improving facilities for motorhomes in at least one important area , and that is the Grey waste points which are changing from a small grate often located too close to the building , tap ,bins etc which necessitates driving the ‘wrong ‘ way to get lose enough , into wide grids which you can easily park over and empty from either side or directly underneath whichever suits your particular unit and also have the bonus of no lifting of grates and subsequent replacing making it easier on the back etc. We’ve been on quite a few now with this new style facility and can’t fault it .
On your other comment I have to say that the sites we have been on are neither badly located or gulags but modern well kept quiet sites. If you don’t like them it’s your perogative to go elsewhere .
I do go elsewhere - generally overseas, but if the CC didn't attempt to block the creation of aires in the UK we would all have more choice.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I would not mind betting a lot of local council would object to. The visitors to deal at the moment would give them more then enough ammunition.

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
UK aires - never going to happen, not sure why anyone would think it could or even should.

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
I do go elsewhere - generally overseas, but if the CC didn't attempt to block the creation of aires in the UK we would all have more choice.
Well unless you or someone else starts a campaign: and sticks with it nothing will happen.
I wasn’t sure why this thread had been started, and I’m still wondering, but saying you’d like someone to organise aires in uk, then you might choose to tour here is never going to provide local councils with the motivation to do anything to improve matters.
Start a campaign: I’ll join, but I doubt if I’ll make use of them.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Well unless you or someone else starts a campaign: and sticks with it nothing will happen.
I wasn’t sure why this thread had been started, and I’m still wondering, but saying you’d like someone to organise aires in uk, then you might choose to tour here is never going to provide local councils with the motivation to do anything to improve matters.
If there is written evidence of the "Clubs" blocking competition this would give a good starting point to take to a local MP or directly to the Competition and Markets Authority.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Flogging a dead horse comes to mind. Selling the idea to local people that they should pay council tax to provide Aires whilst they are having bin collections cut, buses cut etc etc . Yes I can see them being really enthusiastic about it.

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
Flogging a dead horse comes to mind. Selling the idea to local people that they should pay council tax to provide Aires whilst they are having bin collections cut, buses cut etc etc . Yes I can see them being really enthusiastic about it.
I agree, but unless someone puts in some effort, produces a viable business model for UK-aires, then we’ll all be seen as a load of freeloaders, and any tourism benefits etc will be unrealised.
Mind you, there are other issues that are likely to set us back on that front.

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
We belong to both clubs and wouldn't change,we have just got back from a CL all 5 pitches had water & electric parked next to a river,Adults only so nice & peaceful there was a boating club house on the site selling on profit making food & drink.We loved every minute .

Cridon

Free Member
Apr 22, 2016
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tribute736
Exp
Since March 2015
Hi everybody, CS & CL sites are limited to 5 vans/motor homes so that they remain within the exempted camping rules, above that they require local authority planning permission. It is not an exercise to rip anybody off, it is the rules the clubs must follow as they can grant an exemption to planning laws as long as certain rules are obeyed, one of them is a 5 unit limit.
The prices charged are also the business of the site owner, not laid down by the clubs and importantly, these small sites are not owned by the clubs, they simply operate under the clubs banners as long as they comply with certain conditions.
I am a site development/ assessment officer for the C&C Club. Hope this helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back