The Caravan and Motorhome Club: comments and questions (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
If you know that for a fact, then I think it is against the interests of many or most of the motorhoming members.
If you are a member, then maybe you could propose a change of policy to the next AGM?

I have previously had discussions with both Visit Britain and National Trust about providing camper stops as part of their business. Both thought about it and then asked the CC who said it wasnt necessary .

I'm somewhat puzzled that you think I would be a member of an organisation I clearly dislike.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I wonder if it’s covered under the same legislation that deals with landlords charging tenants for electricity? Landlords can charge for power if it is written into the contract between themselves and the tenant.

Another downside would be that It would be costly to install metres at each pitch and would also require extra admin work to read the metres and bill each customer separately for power used at the end of the stay.
I accept that there is a cost (not that they lose money on the provision of electricity on every pitch NOT!)
It does come in that same legislation as landlords but they have circumvented that law by stating that you are paying for the provision of the EHU, not the electricity itself. One cannot even ask to NOT pay for a supplied pitch ie, not use the electric if the EHUis on the pitch and you don't want to use it. Parking Meters can be covered up and made inoperable but not it would seem CandMC club pitches with Bollards.
As to cost, the bollards and electric have to be checked, they could role out the installation and fit credit card type tokens that require nothing more than their sale and possible buyback.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I am a member of both "Clubs" I do resent the prices of club sites particularly at peak times when they can be outrageously expensive. We have all seen tales on here of £35 and more a night. Some, with family may think this reasonable but its not for me. Being self contained I don't want to pay for facilities I am not going to use. Having sad that, it is good to know that there are some bargains to be had on club sites if one picks the right place and time of year. I am really a member because of the CL's and CS's which for the self contained can be great bargains, however even they have an increasing number where the installation of a toilet/shower can hike prices up.

I recently had my insurance renewal through from the C&MC club, it had gone up by around £50 but the risk had not changed. On asking I was told it was the underwriters who had increased prices. I tried a quote form the C&CC club and that's even dearer with the same insurer. I then arranged the same cover with the same insurer for around £50 less that last years premium, an overall saving of around £100. so when the clubs profess to be for the benefit of the members I do find that difficult to accept.

On a different tack, I find it amusing to read members letters in the C&MC magazine as they seem always to be congratulating the club on this or that, never a criticism. I really wonder if they are written by someone in the back office

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
As long as u realise they are just businesses out to make a profit then u cant go wrong. Take the offers that are available use the £25 below your current quote for insurance use the ferry booking service if it's good for you.
I object to them calling themselves clubs because they have no consideration for their members but I do use their sites from time to time. If they are in the right place and available at the right time then cost is somewhat immaterial for a couple of nights and u know the facilities will invariably be good.
What really get my goat is allowing the pillocks to book a year in advance without imposing a penalty when they cancel at the last minute.

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
I have previously had discussions with both Visit Britain and National Trust about providing camper stops as part of their business. Both thought about it and then asked the CC who said it wasnt necessary .

I'm somewhat puzzled that you think I would be a member of an organisation I clearly dislike.
Pretty tricky to influence anyway, but even less likely to be heard if not entitled to a voice.
And I appreciate that everyone is entitled to an opinion about everything: but it’s like screaming into your pillow

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
What really get my goat is allowing the pillocks to book a year in advance without imposing a penalty when they cancel at the last minute.
Quite. Folk book numerous Fri and Sat nights many months in advance and no deposits are required, then they cancel a few days beforehand if rain's forecast or they change their mind.

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
As long as u realise they are just businesses out to make a profit then u cant go wrong..........
I object to them calling themselves clubs.............
You have my support.
I’m a member of both.... clubs, and I believe that some people do get involved socially, but not for us.
I suppose/accept that I should at least understand the ownership or share structure. But as a personal financial “investment” it’s not worth the effort.
And although I don’t particularly want to stay on a UK Aire, I do support their introduction. No idea how you achieve that!

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Well I am a member of both, mainly to get access to the extensive network of 5-van CS and CL locations. For me, they fill the gap caused by the absence of aires in the UK. We also use Britstops.

When using the van in the UK, we are usually heading for a specific event (i.e. sport- or music-related), so we need to find somewhere to put the van as close as possible to the event. That means having all options available. Sometimes we use a CMC or CCC site if that is closer, like a gig at Blenheim or Scarborough, for example.

My work can also take me to any part of the UK and I have used CL/CS or main CMC/CCC sites in those cases too. My boss thinks I am mad preferring to stay in a van rather than a hotel, but is won over when I present a bill for £20 per night rather than £200!

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
We have used the CCC Temporary Holiday Sites to great effect this summer. Paying £9 to £11.50 a night with water waste and bins for close to town centre school fields or quiet village stops has been perfect. We don’t need ehu (solar panel) or showers, after all we have a motorhome, so they they have suited us well.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We vweryrarely stay on the main club sites, preferring to use the CLs and CSs - we are members of both clubs and keep the C&CC membership specifically for the ability to pay a small fee and stop off and use the facilities for four hours - in particular emptying our black tank.

I don't think you can argue they are 'profit making'. their finances are very open to scrutiny and their investment in the network is clear, they don't pay dividends so the money is staying inside the club. You might be able to argue they have too much admin and over pay their employees.

At the end of the day if they were to go private then the sale proceeds would go to the members and would be distributed in direct proportion to number of years membership i.e. we have been CAMC members for 15 years and would get a5 'shares' of the proceeds.

The problem in the UK is the lack of other options like Aires or Stellplatz. We have Britstops and Pub stopovers. Perhaps it is better to just average out the nightly spend across the year including free stopovers, enjoy the facilities when you have them and spend more time in Europe ???

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
They are a business not a friendly club. Mainly caravan rather than motorhome orientated. For example, unlike the C&CC, they do not allow you to come in during the day just to fill up and dump for a fee. You have to stay the night, or at least pay for that night! We find them to be much too snobby and regimented for us. And we hate the fact that they do not require a deposit when booking their sites. So popular sites get full very quickly, especially at weekends, because they are booked by people who often do not turn up because they have changed their minds.

We used to be members 30 years ago when the kids were young and we used a caravan. But that was mainly for their excellent Red Pennant insurance when going abroad. But not now.

The 5 van limit reflects the law in the UK. It is the maximum number of caravans (including motorhomes) allowed by law at any one time without needing to get planning permission for a campsite. The legal limit does not apply to tents.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
It says something about a so called club when even one of its own DA's starts working with a landowner to get their own exemption certificate because they were told to put their rally prices up to £15.00 from £8.00 because it made other rallies look bad.

But do agree with Cheshire point you don't have to join or like me you can leave as I did about ten years ago.

Although I don't have to shout it:devil:(y)

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
It says something about a so called club when even one of its own DA's starts working with a landowner to get their own exemption certificate because they were told to put their rally prices up to £15.00 from £8.00 because it made other rallies look bad.

But do agree with Cheshire point you don't have to join or like me you can leave as I did about ten years ago.

Although I don't have to shout it:devil:(y)
Point taken

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
My point?
How many members do you have, and how do represent their views?

I havent claimed to represent anybody. I made the statement that The Caravan Club is blocking the availability of 'Aires' in this country and then justified my comment when asked to do so.

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
I don't think you can argue they are 'profit making'.

I hope they are profit making; it’s what they do with those profits, wages, expenses or reinvestment in facilities.

At the end of the day if they were to go private then the sale proceeds would go to the members and would be distributed in direct proportion to number of years membership i.e. we have been CAMC members for 15 years and would get a5 'shares' of the proceeds.

Is that in the constitution? I doubt I’d see much for 10 years membership

The problem in the UK is the lack of other options like Aires or Stellplatz. We have Britstops and Pub stopovers. Perhaps it is better to just average out the nightly spend across the year including free stopovers, enjoy the facilities when you have them and spend more time in Europe ???

The problem is that there is no organisation that speaks for all owners and users of campervans and motorhomes; in fact, that simple difference in description illustrates the difficulties in representing 2 groups of very different INDIVIDUALS !,

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We are members of the C & MH C. We like the CLs and use the club sites out of season. We also like their Red Pennant insurance. It works for us.

Mrs QFour

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
I havent claimed to represent anybody. I made the statement that The Caravan Club is blocking the availability of 'Aires' in this country and then justified my comment when asked to do so.
I simply make the point, possibly not as directly as I could, that no matter how loudly individuals shout, that “clubs” have considerable memberships and they are likely to be listened to.

We may not (and I am, a member) like the fact that they represent us, but they are likely to be listened to, and if we felt inclined, we could attempt to change the position the clubs adopt. The alternative is to form a “club”.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Too many members booking a year in advance and then cancelling short notice ruins the booking system. A deposit or penalty system is definitely needed.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Everybody has a choice...

We used a CL for the first time over the August Bank holiday. 5 nights cost us £55.. included water, electric hook up, chemical toilet disposal. Fantastic. Lovely little site, great location. So it isn’t alway expensive at CAMC site, affiliates and CL’s.
What site was that sounds like I need a midweek break there?

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
What site was that sounds like I need a midweek break there?
It’s was a CL called Landsview. Shatterling, Canterbury. CT3 1JR ( Mrs Golubovas. 01304 813187.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Mainly caravan rather than motorhome orientated.
Strange. We must be going to all the "wrong" C&MC sites. :)
Over a period of three months earlier this year we stayed on 11 of their main sites from D&G down as far as Cornwall and, having seen this comment before (not necessarily from yourself) decided to do a rough count when out walking the dug (sad, oh yes!:giggle:).
The lowest level of motorhome occupancy was around 33% with the highest being around 75% of the overall occupancy. The average was probably around 60% over all sites.
In the past 18 months or so we've been on (from memory) 8 sites where new drive-over motorhome service points had been installed and 3 where they were being installed whilst we were there.
In addition, we've been on a few sites where hardstanding pitches had been \ are being increased, which I believe, is mainly to accommodate the changing profile of their occupancy.
OK, all anecdotal but ...........:)

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Thanks only 40 miles from me that will be great for a local midweek break? sorry this was meant to be a pm

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
The CAMC is a business not a club, it is a very expensive way to go camping. It is controlled by an elite group who virtually control the pricing of camping in the UK and probably the main reason we cant get aires up and running.

What other business can demand an up front fee before even stepping foot on a site and still get away with charging over the top prices for a patch of ground for a night, They do provide showers and toilets if you need them but so do campsites abroad that seem to do it for a fraction of the cost .
If you complain then the attitude is so what plenty of others will pay it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back