Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We're returning from la Bresse in a very wet and flooded France.

Parked up for the night, dinner in the oven, wine on the table when our Border Collie makes a dive into the bin where I'd thrown a small piece of Christmas cake! Panic... trying to find a vet nearby who was open on New Years Day... found one willing to treat the hound so we race to him. Got there in time to have an emetic injected... three huge vomits later he's pronounced clear of any more cake and an antidote to the first injection administered... big sighs of relief!

Thank goodness I saw him eat the cake.... he's feeling a bit crestfallen today but otherwise well.

I can't help wondering what would have happened if he'd eaten it unseen.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I am being ignorant here , but why should a dog eating cake be dangerous?

I honestly never knew of the danger

Raisins can be poisonous to dogs. Causes renal failure if not treated quickly.
Grapes have same effect.
Chocolate is also poisonous to dogs.
It's not really been proven how dried fruits such as raisins cause kidney failure but better to make the dog vomit ASAP if accidently eaten.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have a jack Russell that eats absolutely anything , coming up for fourteen , no adverse reactions yet, would never even of thought anything of it.
Don't give her chocolate though but anything else not a thought.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
My dog will also eat anything given the chance.
If it was a small amount I don't think I would have bothered with a vet.
When he was a puppy I used to give him a grape to play with and chase across the kitchen floor, loved it, until someone told me they were poison to dogs.
Now he just snaffles food wherever he can, he once ran into some long grass and trees and came out with a cheese and ham salad sandwich nicely cut diagonally !

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
The list of foods that are poisonous/harmful to dogs is interesting, I never knew about chocolate being harmful and my welsh terrier used to have his joint tablet carefully inserted into half a Roses soft centre chocolate (strawberry cream etc) as he was very old and it was stressful to have to push it down his throat - he didn't notice the tablet at all and lived to the grand age of 15 and a half.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
When he ate it I went online to check veterinary websites to see if the quantity he ate was toxic. We also called our vet in the UK. Apparently a small amount of raisins and sultanas can prove fatal.

The vet we saw said it was good we got him there quickly as the food was not digested and he could vomit it up.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
am just remembering back to when i had my beardies and went to visit a friend who'd just baked her huge christmas cake and left it on a (rather high up) window sill in her cottage to cool..
my boreas disappeared for a while and we found him merrily tucking in to the still warm cake, he'd eaten about a third, suffered no ill effects whatsoever, and lived to a very healthy ripe old age, thankfully..

and then there was polly who pilfered a wrapped pressy under the crimble tree one year, carefully unwrapped it, and ate the entire contents of a pound box of cadburys milk tray, again, no ill effects and lived to be a healthy old 'gal..

maybe we were lucky and beardies have cast iron guts, on the other hand i was very much into natural rearing and feeding following juliet de baraclai levy methods, they had loads of exercise and fitness as we used to do obedience and agility demos, great fun, i miss my dogs a lot.......

edit.. neither of my dogs yakked any of their stolen booty up, i'm sure i would have done had i eaten that amount..

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I'd be amazed if in the history of dogs a small amount of fruit cake digested had ever proved harmful.
Still I guess the vet was happy to accept a simple job on emergency / bank holiday pay rates.
Glad your doggy is ok

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, I think you can be lucky... trouble is you can also be unlucky too. One of the vet websites showed the treatment history of a four year old Lab who ate half a canister of raisins. He had to be euthanised the day after eating them due to organ failure. We read that and decided not to take a chance.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I'd be amazed if in the history of dogs a small amount of fruit cake digested had ever proved harmful.
Still I guess the vet was happy to accept a simple job on emergency / bank holiday pay rates.
Glad your doggy is ok

The vet bill was very reasonable at a little over 100 euros. I was expecting far more.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
When he ate it I went online to check veterinary websites to see if the quantity he ate was toxic. We also called our vet in the UK. Apparently a small amount of raisins and sultanas can prove fatal.

The vet we saw said it was good we got him there quickly as the food was not digested and he could vomit it up.

it's always best to be safe than sorry where our precious 4 legged pals are concerned, back in the day we didn't know the dangers of certain foods, glad he's okay even if he did give you a fright and some worry..

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Ignorance is bliss, I’m with @chaser l had a jack Russell and she ate anything and everything, shared Chinese,Indian (vindaloo) coffee, I don’t remember refusing her anything and she lived to 17. She never even had any jabs, still think of her to this day.

Mickey

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Friends of ours in South Africa would take their two dobermans running through the vineyards of Constantia. Said dogs would happily partake of a grape or three as they ran.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We have a jack Russell that eats absolutely anything , coming up for fourteen , no adverse reactions yet, would never even of thought anything of it.
Don't give her chocolate though but anything else not a thought.

One of mine is like that, he did spend a couple of days in the vets and was minutes away from being opened up when he produced a large lump of rubber that had been working its way through his system!
When I was building my extension he had the plumbers sandwiches out of his bag, and pencils or fittings he chews them..

He goes around the house and if he sees a bit of fluff on the carpet he’s on it, his sister is not to bad apart from rabbit droppings when the go for a walk she runs along and hoovers up as many as she can...

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our dog was a food hound. She was a rescue dog and had been starved. We just couldn't trust her if there was food around - she even climbed a ladder to get to the remains of a meal that had been put up there "out of her way" to cool. We caught her on the way back down with the casserole dish in her mouth!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Had a small dog that stole a large bag of wine gums from the (ex) wife's handbag.

Tried to eat the lot in one go but its jaws got stuck together. Busted!

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Laika the wonderdog will eat anything , she is like a blood hound at times sniffing out stuff on the street. Her fav nibble is rabbit droppings .
In the house she is very well controlled by her masters voice. She has been caught on the coffee table sniffing around for things to eat.
You just can't take any chances , you would have never forgiven yourself if you hadn't taken him to the vets and he had a very bad reaction.
A few years ago we looked after a friends Labrador, we were warned he could open fridge doors. We didn't believe it but to our cost he opened the fridge door while we were out and eat everything he could in the fridge including some plastic wrapping on the cheese. He was fine , we never dreamt of taking him to the vets in are ignorance.
He survived and we still have a laugh about years later.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
L
A few years ago we looked after a friends Labrador, we were warned he could open fridge doors.

Our setter could as well. We used child locks to keep her out - well until we had children..... the children could open the child locks and would happily "share" any booty with the dog.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Our setter could as well. We used child locks to keep her out - well until we had children..... the children could open the child locks and would happily "share" any booty with the dog.
Not sure whether it was the german shepherd or the heinz, (mostly border collie/lab) which manged to gt into my fridge freezer one night when I was at work, came home to a terrrible stench, half a tin of beans and a pint off milk, all else had been devoured including packaging. Took a long time to clean up and get rid of the smell. They never did get past the childproof locks though.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our dogs will now never eat anything they aren't given, but when a pup, Meg (the tricolour) ate the substantial remains of a chocolate pudding and had to be vomited by the emergency vet on a bank holiday. We've never made that one since, SWMBO said £300 was too expensive for a dessert.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I had one dog who ate a load of pineapple chunk sweets and looked like a prune when we got home as she was so thirsty ... at another time she raided the fridge and for some reason ignored all the lovely meat etc and instead devoured a 250g block of lard ... :censored:

There there was one of ours who thought it was a good idea to eat a thick pair of woolly tights ... fortunately she brought them up in the car on the way to the vet! o_O

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Presumably, there is a list of common foods that are equally poisonous to people. There are cyanide butties of course and arsenic cake but apart from bleach shandies I can't think of much else we should avoid.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The one in my avatar,López would eat most things. She would sit in the shade under the grapevine in summer & reach up like Cleopatra & take grapes off the vine. Wander out the front & collect an orange which she would peel between her front paws.
To see her expertly crack open walnuts ( from next door falling into the garden ) right down the joint & manage to eat the nut without destroying the membrane was amazing to see !
Apples, tomatoes, only thing she wouldn't eat was banana.
When I cleared oranges from the ground I'd tip them on the bonfire. After it was out she 'd turn up & rake through for some toasted ones.:LOL:
I knew about the theobromine & ensured they never ate anything except 'dog' chocolate if ever.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Like many others, our family dogs ate whatever was left from the family meals - starter, main course or dessert. Looking down the forbidden list I notice bones for dogs and fish for cats. Sounds like revenue generation for vets to me!

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
One of mine is like that, he did spend a couple of days in the vets and was minutes away from being opened up when he produced a large lump of rubber that had been working its way through his system!
When I was building my extension he had the plumbers sandwiches out of his bag, and pencils or fittings he chews them..

He goes around the house and if he sees a bit of fluff on the carpet he’s on it, his sister is not to bad apart from rabbit droppings when the go for a walk she runs along and hoovers up as many as she can...
Rabbit droppings are a favourite of my two, they'll stop to eat them if found on a walk... known by us as chocolate drops for dogs!

My mum's dog had to be rushed to the vet after she ate 2 bread rolls which were proving in a warm oven, without thinking my mum had left the oven door ajar because she felt the oven was a bit hot for proving, her small poodle was left unattended for a couple of minutes and in that time decided the bread rolls needed to be eaten, the dog was rushed to the vet and luckily didn't have to be operated on as her stomach started to deflate (the rolls continued rising in her warm stomach).... major lesson learnt!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back