The cake's in the dog! (1 Viewer)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Val got up to let the dogs out for a wee at 5 this morning to discover a half eaten Christmas cake. Apparently it was a wrapped present that we'd missed under the tree. Our money was on Blue as the culprit as he's on a steroid for his IMHA, which makes him very hungry. A call to the vets suggested an emetic and keep him in to monitor his kidney function at a cost of around £350. The emetic did the trick and like @Sundowners the cake came back up undigested, so we got to take him home.
We had him at the vet's NYE morning too as an emergency due to vomiting and a high temperature which he's been susceptible to even though he came off his immuno suppressant drugs 3 weeks ago, another £170.
Last year saw him at the vets a lot, including a blood transfusion, we thought the NYE episode would be the end of the visits and a fresh start in the new year, but it looks like it's business as usual for Blue, I'm sure he's trying to bankrupt us !

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I don't buy this, not a lot survives a dogs stomach acid.. over the years I've had dogs eat raisins before. And as a kid we were always giving our dogs chocolate. There might be something to it, but I think it's importance has grown with the internet and the scare stories within.

Too many dogs eat raisins and don't die, so are they deadly or not?

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, there are lots of scare stories. Because of that we called our vet in the uk and visited a couple of vetinerary websites. Both sources of info said to take the dog in straight away. You can be lucky but we weren't willing to take a chance.

As to the vets fees charged in the UK I think we got off lightly at just over 100 euros for a New Year's Day emergency. Not that we were counting the pennies and would have taken him no matter the cost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I don't buy this, not a lot survives a dogs stomach acid.. over the years I've had dogs eat raisins before. And as a kid we were always giving our dogs chocolate. There might be something to it, but I think it's importance has grown with the internet and the scare stories within.

Too many dogs eat raisins and don't die, so are they deadly or not?
I completely agree Jim. We had Springers for 40 years, and they all ate anything and everything. Our first Springer ate half the bottom tier of our wedding cake (laden with lbs of fruit), with no ill effect, and ate stolen chocolate/fruit/frozen sausages/neighbours tomatoes/any food item she could pilfer all her life.

Dogs being sick have that involuntary stomach movement that seems to eject anything bad from their stomach. We saw it with our Springers, it was usually the time when you flew out of your seat and got them outside before they threw up whatever they'de eaten!

Call me a cynic, but I think vets are absolute money grabbers nowadays, with their eyes on the £ signs rather than ethics sometimes.

Our last Springer started limping - we took her to the vet who suggested scans, Xrays, operations etc etc etc. We rang our old vet who had retired, but who Cliff went beating with on Longleat Pheasant shoot. He knew exactly what it was from the symptoms described - a pulled crutia (?) ligament. He said it would get better on its own, she could be exercised as normal, and furthermore, if it was operated on it would be more prone to arthritis than if it was left alone to heal itself! He was absolutely right. He also said it would probably happen to the other leg - which it did and we left it alone - she lived happily to 15 with no arthritis in either leg.

What concerned me was that the vet we saw probably knew exactly what was wrong but still wanted to operate knowing it would be the wrong thing to do.

I think they have jumped on the cash cow - and don't get me started on pet insurance (of which we have never taken out.......)

Hard hat in place waiting for brickbats to start flying.......

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the danger relates to body weight ours has stolen lots of stuff the latest being 6 portions of bread and butter pudding on Christmas day not bothered with the vets he's been fine stolen grapes and chocolate too in the past. no doubt also eats loads of stuff on his walks that would be a worry if we knew!

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
From the headline title of the post all I can say is , if the cake's in the dog , there's no room left for my dinner when I get home later than expected:D.
John

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Never gave it a thought had abut five dog's in my life thaiye have eaten almost every thing non have died from risen's or grapes.
i think sum dog som where had a reaction and the good old vets seen pound droller singes and the rest is history
bill

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I completely agree Jim. We had Springers for 40 years, and they all ate anything and everything. Our first Springer ate half the bottom tier of our wedding cake (laden with lbs of fruit), with no ill effect, and ate stolen chocolate/fruit/frozen sausages/neighbours tomatoes/any food item she could pilfer all her life.

Dogs being sick have that involuntary stomach movement that seems to eject anything bad from their stomach. We saw it with our Springers, it was usually the time when you flew out of your seat and got them outside before they threw up whatever they'de eaten!

Call me a cynic, but I think vets are absolute money grabbers nowadays, with their eyes on the £ signs rather than ethics sometimes.

Our last Springer started limping - we took her to the vet who suggested scans, Xrays, operations etc etc etc. We rang our old vet who had retired, but who Cliff went beating with on Longleat Pheasant shoot. He knew exactly what it was from the symptoms described - a pulled crutia (?) ligament. He said it would get better on its own, she could be exercised as normal, and furthermore, if it was operated on it would be more prone to arthritis than if it was left alone to heal itself! He was absolutely right. He also said it would probably happen to the other leg - which it did and we left it alone - she lived happily to 15 with no arthritis in either leg.

What concerned me was that the vet we saw probably knew exactly what was wrong but still wanted to operate knowing it would be the wrong thing to do.

I think they have jumped on the cash cow - and don't get me started on pet insurance (of which we have never taken out.......)

Hard hat in place waiting for brickbats to start flying.......
i agree with you fully on the greedy vet's we do not have pet insurance we have had three dogs in our marred lives all lived to good old ages only thin thay ever went to the vet was there injections and first booster
our last springier lasted 17.5 years died in her sleep
our current dog is 10 years old staff rescued from drowning in a sack the only survivor of five puppy's
he eats every thing going including any thing the grand kids feed him with no ill effects
bill

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Left my old retriever with a neighbour for a few days. forgetting about my dog he put a large fat fryer on the ground to cool. Retriever drank the lot, and evidently he was a bit poorly for a day or two!!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We had a similar incident with our Whippets that shared a bag of mixed dried fruit. The vet gave an emetic and they both threw up grapes. From this l have assumed that if they don't chew before swallowing little harm will result. The advice is to not feed grapes, dried fruit, chocolate etc. I suspect that thieving the odd amount will not be harmful and the advice is aimed at those who give them the bad stuff on a regular basis. Kidney damage tends to be cumulative.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back