The C and M Club ... leaving after 17 years (1 Viewer)

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
The sites are usually great but we can no longer stand being treated to bad customer service by wardens. Last night after unavoidable delays and feeling exhausted we rolled onto a site at 7.55. The sign told us that we could check in until 8 pm so we were aware it was the last minute but we were weary travellers looking for a good nights sleep. The warden was grumpy, unfriendly and put us on a sloping grass pitch right next to a busy dual carriageway. This morning we woke up to discover that there are several flat hard standings available at the other, quiet end of the site. we hardly slept. We would have been better off in a lay by. Why oh why do people apply for this job if they don't want to be at least reasonably patient with people in a business that involves customer care? Before anyone tells us it's probably our own fault, we were polite and apologetic for arriving at the last minute. This bloke has a sign on the door that says "A grumpy old man lives here"

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds normal to me that's why we are not members and were only members for a couple of years and would never ever join again.
A few years (about 5) got stuck in a horrendous traffic jam, tried ringing the site to let them know we might be late, rang constanly from 6pm, why do they bother having phones if they don't answer them. Arrived at ten past eight to be greeted by one of there experts in customer service, standing outside reception who's opening words were "You are late you can't come in".

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I used to find similar unfriendliness when using their sites with my landrover camper , one engaged me in quite a strange conversation of feigned interest in the conversion , but later I realised that it was basically an interrogation to see if it complied
with being a "motorhome" . This attitude to anything out of the average was confirmed to me by others with unusual vehicles . I can understand that "customers " can sometimes be trying , but they do seem to employ some quite officious "wardens"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
On top of having a sloping pitch beside a dual carriageway, with only views of other caravans, (oh joy) you were probably paying the bargain members price of £20-£25 for the privilege.
Thank God for France and her aires.

Richard.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
It may be worthwhile if you communicate your experience to the C&MC Head Office where you can highlight the sign too. This type of thing IMO is totally unacceptable and you do have to ask the reason why this guy is a warden in the first instance.

We've only ever used the C&MC sites in Durham, Northumberland, North Yorkshire and Garlieston in SW Scotland and the wardens have only ever been warm and helpful.

That said (and this in not directed at Mags, above), the number of grumpy rude motorhomers/caravan folk that they have to deal with is on the rise too..

Give HQ a call(y)

Very best,

Andrew

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
When i worked in the new forest at sethorns, we had stayed in the office as late as 11pm on a friday to book in late arrivals. We had the radio on for the state of the roads and really felt sorry for folk that had been travelling for hours. Personally I felt customer service was important. We didnt get paid any extra for it. But i do agree with op ad to why some of these people are even working in the industry.
Any problems you should always write to head office with your comments.
You may just get an acknowledgement but things will be happening behind the scenes.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
No matter what sort of day they have had they must at all times be helpful and Curtis to members no mater there age gender or unit they turn up in.
They have never lost that image and are unlikely to
bill

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Id go in this morning & ask why he put you on that pitch when more suitible ones were free....I'd be interested in his reply - had you pre booked - is it this blue peg/white peg thing (awning/non awning) .....I find it really annoying and wont be renewing this year.

See you tomorrow, Ill be in touch (y):)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Is there a late arrivals parking area? or is that too sensible for Barmy Britain.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If only everyone was as perfect as they are on mhf. May be some people start in a job and it's great then they get ground down by moaning joe public. Not everyone does a job because they love it. May be they had great plans for their retirement only to find the boss has raided the pot and their pension is not so good, hence doing a job like this to get by. Or maybe they just had an off day. I wish I was perfect but I am not.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Been a member for over 25 years and can honestly say we've never had a problem. Only ever had a problem with a warden on a C&CC site, about 12 years ago, so we moved on though we are still members.

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
We are on a C&MC site at the moment. We arrived half an hour early and we're allowed on. We said we would like to go on pitch number xx and were told that area is reserved for disabled. I expressed surprise and said we had used the same pitch number last year and the year before. She argued back that the particular area has always been reserved for disabled. Strange customer service.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The warden was grumpy, unfriendly and put us on a sloping grass pitch right next to a busy dual carriageway.
Which site was it Mags? Normally, you would select the pitch yourself so why did he \ she "pre-allocate"?

We are on a C&MC site at the moment. We arrived half an hour early and we're allowed on. We said we would like to go on pitch number xx and were told that area is reserved for disabled. I expressed surprise and said we had used the same pitch number last year and the year before. She argued back that the particular area has always been reserved for disabled. Strange customer service.
Believe some sites are now "tagging" disabled pitches, usually close to toilet, etc facilities.

As with @WillH never had any serious issue with any warden on any site.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i do find that the older your unit the more negative response from there wardens in fact right through the motor homing carivaning community
bill

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When i worked in the new forest at sethorns, we had stayed in the office as late as 11pm on a friday to book in late arrivals. We had the radio on for the state of the roads and really felt sorry for folk that had been travelling for hours. Personally I felt customer service was important. We didnt get paid any extra for it. But i do agree with op ad to why some of these people are even working in the industry.
Any problems you should always write to head office with your comments.
You may just get an acknowledgement but things will be happening behind the scenes.
Rarely use sites but Sethorns one we have used many times over the years never had a problem with the wardens always been polite and helful. Perhaps we have met.:)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I think there may be some sort of convention that late arrivals are placed where they will cause least disruption to those already ensconced. I suppose it's to avoid waking kids and dogs and thereby everyone else.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
One thing i am finding is none of the clubs are child friendly CL's especially thay see you turn up with a child you get that unwelcome feeling.
only very few really welcome children un less you have them in chanes with a bloody grate iron ball attached
bill

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Been members for years and only once been told to move as trainee warden had given us wrong info, no hassle we complied and was given a bottle of apple juice, wine would have been better.:D

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
There seams to be some in the Camping and Caravan Club now as well
Yes Chris as we found at St Neots Simon was outright awkward he dose not like big vans and made that plainly obvious.
@Wildbill it is not just old vans ours is 3 months old maybe I should think of trading it in(y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Yes Chris as we found at St Neots Simon was outright awkward he dose not like big vans and made that plainly obvious.
@Wildbill it is not just old vans ours is 3 months old maybe I should think of trading it in(y)
my van is old and big so we stand no chance with a child in tow
bill

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We left this morning. Shirley went in to pay and say we weren't happy as there were a number of flat pitches available and we had not been able to sleep. The warden started shouting at her. He said that we hadn't booked. Since when did not booking in advance become a punishable offence? It was obvious he'd put us on that pitch deliberately. Being shouted at for making a complaint is the last straw.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We left this morning. Shirley went in to pay and say we weren't happy as there were a number of flat pitches available and we had not been able to sleep. The warden started shouting at her. He said that we hadn't booked. Since when did not booking in advance become a punishable offence? It was obvious he'd put us on that pitch deliberately. Being shouted at for making a complaint is the last straw.
you most report it to the club officials if some one had shouted at my wife when making a legitimate complaint I would have had to discipline him.
can you tell us what site pleas
bill

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Visited a CMHC site last week - wardens phoned us whilst we were en route to ask an arrival time - allocated a pitch on the phone and left instructions at office - very helpful - and when we went out at night and forgot gate key so realised we were locked out - bumped into them in the dark some way from the site and they loaned us a key (y). So they are not all as bad....there are all sorts in every society ....just like the bad apple ;)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We've never had any problems with staff at CMC nor CCC in over 11y of MHing: perhaps it's my charisma and pleasant nature? :LOL:

We've only arrived "late" once (Crystal Palace) but were still invited to drive round and find an unclaimed pitch which suited us. TBH, I can't remember ever being allocated a site with CMC although it has been common policy with CCC.

We have made one complaint to a warden, who advised us to write it in the Visitors Book and in return we got 2 emails from HQ. It was about low water pressure in the showers at Coed-y-Llwyn near Ffestiniog.

Even if we got poor service from CMC, we "need" to be in it as there are very few options when visiting my 90y old Dad in Teesside, and for £1 per week we reckon it would be worth the cost. As said, we have had no problems, so it isn't a point of discussion. :)

Each to their own - Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back