The Big Lorry to Camper Conversion (2 Viewers)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
They look like they know exactly what they are doing. ??

Yeah Boyd is bit of a legend mate (y)

I forget how many years that TV show ran for, but he had this old boy called Roy working for him. What he couldn't fabricate from sheet steel.... it was mind blowing...

Check out this motorcycle, fabricated entirely from scratch, by hand, to match the Impala.

Sadly a dying art ?

280f6fbcafde0fb3909d11a99490a17d.jpg

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Roy died, then Dad and Son fell out big time and the house of cards collapsed after that.. Sad ending all round really

Edit hahaha mixed up some wrong people there with the wrong company..
Roy did die but so did Boyd in the end, no one liked that asshole anyway :D

The dad and son that fell out big time were the bike modders "American Chopper"

Last edited:

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Ah, I spy another fan :blusher:

Yeah, sad about Roy, he was a grumpy old git but he knew his trade ?‍♂️

Never understood why he kept Dwayne on... and gutted that Charlie left to go join Chip Foose! ?

Anyway, yes, metal fabrication at that level is a rapidly-dying art form :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Progress is slow currently but we have finished the subfloor.... Just got the finished floor to go down at the back and then start building the raised floor at the front.
1576331795777.jpg

Also the final layer of insulation is going on.... Thermal bridge?? More like thermal roadblock ???

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
At least if you are a single man you won't need the humongous cooker and your payload in general will sigh a huge sigh of relief! ? ?
I think single men have a bigger payload demand :p
Lots more tools, and crates of beer.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
You say that, but she absolutely loves playing with tools. Eveytime we go into a tool outlet. She grabs the biggest drill bit and goes "ohhhhh can we get this"

Also apart from the bulk of the welding, she has done everybit as much as me on this. Labour and planning.... Gotta give it to her.

P. S. I'm aware how many jokes I set up there ? but it's all true

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Thought you'd like it... Mainly becuase it's not some over hyped Merican going on about vanlife lol

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
“Yeah like totally super cool."

His bed is very similar to what ours will be like. They always seem to fill them with odd bits and bobs. Looks good but we both have OCD about certain things..... No nooks and cranys for hard cleaning, no clutter ect

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You say that, but she absolutely loves playing with tools. Eveytime we go into a tool outlet. She grabs the biggest drill bit and goes "ohhhhh can we get this"

Also apart from the bulk of the welding, she has done everybit as much as me on this. Labour and planning.... Gotta give it to her.

She sounds like a keeper (y)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
HandyAndy i just watched that video. Absolutely awesome tbh, his honesty was refreshing. Given me lots of ideas and made me question a few things. Wonder how much it weighed... Thats all I seemed to care about at the mo??
Mj model was about 9500kg gvw

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019

Sounds like a fifty year partnership in the making got yourself a good un ✅

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012

That’s all ok but would she give you her last rolo. Haha

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Another fine English fella doing the same.... thought I'd post it here for some enthusiasm building :D

Interesting project and some really good ideas there.

Ive seen a few self builds, a common regret with the first one is that they wish they had bought a better base vehicle, and thats my reading of this chaps later remarks ( it would be quite punishing to drive IMO) unless you want to wadi bash the MAN here would be more pleasant in every way ( especially the pocket).

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Interesting project and some really good ideas there.

Ive seen a few self builds, a common regret with the first one is that they wish they had bought a better base vehicle, and thats my reading of this chaps later remarks ( it would be quite punishing to drive IMO) unless you want to wadi bash the MAN here would be more pleasant in every way ( especially the pocket).
It doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things though (got to start somewhere) if it turns out to be the wrong base vehicle, barring some below deck cupboards, the entire hab unit can be lifted off and put on whatever base vehicle suits your fancy. ?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things though (got to start somewhere) if it turns out to be the wrong base vehicle, barring some below deck cupboards, the entire hab unit can be lifted off and put on whatever base vehicle suits your fancy. ?

Thats true Andy but he says he wishes he'd converted a Bus instead.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
I feel his pain. Wish I had of too. Building the body was a pain. Oh well, nearly at square one

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Whats the problem with cameras if you have nothing to hide?
that's what all those in power chunter out when they wish to justify the unjustifiable. They wish to control & do it lazily.

I'm not surprised you need some enthusiasm with the weather& short days in the UK. I had forgotten how bad it was until I was stuck there recently. Still at least it is coming along.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thats true Andy but he says he wishes he'd converted a Bus instead.
I converted a bus. Never again... Too many windows. strange shape etc etc. A nice square box on the back of a truck is lovely.

Also if the bus fails it's MOT on something critical you are screwed. With a box on a truck you can swap the box.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
does anyone know what happened to that american bus being converted by a member where the converter went out of business half way through the job. was about 2 years ago

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back