The Big Lorry to Camper Conversion (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Can someone help me name this!! View attachment 372237Need a shower drain plug thingy.

Obviously I'm not searching for the right thing. Can't find anything!!

Something that goes straight down... Because I went gun ho on drilling a hole.
The shower tray hole is 50mm....

Thanks
I am sure I have mentioned this to you before. Check out magnum motorhomes for parts. Their website is slow but you can find most stuff. Excellent company to deal with and my first stop for parts.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Have a look here also ,they are only a couple of miles from me and i used alot of stuff from there during my build.
Van looks great by the way ?.

Cheers Cris.
Bugger, you beat me to it lol (y)

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Haven't really been able to make much progress due to the current situation ?

But luckily before this all kicked off I had brought 5 sheets of ply and a pocket hole jig.

I've also managed to wrangle for free an ancient black and dekker router..... It's seriously old, seriously heavy, no plastic on it, and held together with flat head screws....old school.

It's 3/8th drive so had to get a 1/4" cutting bit and put a sleave on it.... But it works well... Never used a router before so it could be crap, I don't know... It works ?‍♂️.

Anyway, we've started trying to build a kitchen.... A first for us aswell.

IMG_20200419_172418.jpg

IMG_20200419_125141.jpg

IMG_20200419_145128.jpg

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Also if anyone's wondering why there's loads of big hunks of timber underneath... There is a reason... Just looks weird at the moment.....

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Looks good. The water tank will probably generate condensation then a bit of mould so I would treat, insulate or paint the PLY near the tank.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Looks good. The water tank will probably generate condensation then a bit of mould so I would treat, insulate or paint the PLY near the tank.
Yeah I was thinking about that. I have left a small gap between the tank and the ply, was going to put maybe some rubber between them....

Any suggestions?

I had planned to paint everything in a waterproof undercoat before any colour goes on it.

Do you think that, is sufficient? Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Good idea. That sounds perfect ?

Paint and foil it is!
Definitely use some insulation as better to prevent condensation than try to deal with it afterwards, don't forget the underside and wall side too.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Today was supposed to be our moving out/in day.

That obviously hasn't happened.

Luckily my landlord has allowed us to stay in for 2 more months, which is so unbelievably kind seeing as we have only paid half of this months rent and are behind on the electricity bill??.

Think the people suppose to be moving in are unable to due to this situation.

So incase anyone was worried.... We are alright ??

I've got a solid week of work next week!! But do not fear, I'll be alone. Just me and my welder ?‍?.

Will hopefully have an update on kitchen soon ?

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Good Luck with your kitchen build, I'm at the same stage as you, Busy pulling my hair out as I am also meant to be in the lorry by end of June which is looking very optimistic at this stage.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Well ages ago. I got a phone call from the Mrs saying "I've found some kitchen doors, can you just nip and get them after work"

An hours drive later im in Suffolk. Handed £80 over for 22 Oak doors and draw fronts. Think they are from howdens....

We are completely making it up as we go along. And making it to fit the doors, and fit the space we have

And we are making the worktop aswell ?...

Someone help me

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Finished the first cupboard.... Pretty happy really. Just have the bit where the doors meet to go in....

IMG-20200502-WA0026.jpg

We will paint it all a bluey greeny colour.. Then keep the doors natural...

Here's the door held up....

IMG-20200502-WA0024.jpg

It's taking forever ?...

Couldn't get clamps on some of it so have put temporary screws in. I'll take them out when the glues set, fill the holes and paint

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Finished the first cupboard.... Pretty happy really. Just have the bit where the doors meet to go in....

View attachment 384408

We will paint it all a bluey greeny colour.. Then keep the doors natural...

Here's the door held up....

View attachment 384412

It's taking forever ?...

Couldn't get clamps on some of it so have put temporary screws in. I'll take them out when the glues set, fill the holes and paint
Have you tried holding them with panel pins..? You could either tap them in with a punch, fill and paint or pull them out and fill..

Bagofsand

Free Member
Feb 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
To be built
Exp
Looking good. Looks like you can take all the credit for the great idea of using the doors:LOL::LOL: and the Mrs escapes the blame.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Have you tried holding them with panel pins..? You could either tap them in with a punch, fill and paint or pull them out and fill..
Nope, wood novice here so never heard of them!! ?... Do screwfix sell them? I'll give it a go for sure ?

Any more useful tips, fire away ?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Nope, wood novice here so never heard of them!! ?... Do screwfix sell them? I'll give it a go for sure ?

My wife swears by “No More Nails”! ?

Ian

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

This video shows large panel pins but it’s a good demonstration of the principle of using a punch to conceal the heads... this shows on cladding but you’ll get the idea on how to use them for your applications...
You could also not hammer them in all the way to hold work in place then pull them out with pincers after the glue has dried then fill the small hole...

Screw fix sell them in weight and you’ll get thousands 0.5kg for little money... they come in all sizes and thickness..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Rather than take them out you might be better screwing them in more and then filling over the top, that way you still have the strength of the screw holding the panels in position rather than holes inside.

As for panel pins, the ONLY problem is that whilst you're knocking them in you can loosen the grip of the ones that you've already done and also 'jar' what you're putting together, that's why I normally just use them for stuff that doesn't take much to knock them into such as hardboard etc on the back of cupboards etc (ie not thick or tough material).

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Ah, but you're assuming light from a single source whereas normally atmospheric light comes from many directions so a proportionately larger hole isn't necessarily required.

Yep, I'm bored too! :roflmto:

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Ah, but you're assuming light from a single source whereas normally atmospheric light comes from many directions so a proportionately larger hole isn't necessarily required.

Yep, I'm bored too! :roflmto:

"Isn't it amazing how much light daylight gives you... "

Daylight comes from one single source - the current bun. It may be diffused by clouds/foliage/frosted 'glass' ... but to get double the light from the same lighting conditions you have to double the size of the hole.

As a snapper, if I wanted to stop down from f8 to f16 to be sure I was getting sufficient depth of field, back to front of the subject, I'd either wheel in another same-output light source or, if doing a still life, fire the one lamp twice. From f8 to f22, four lamps or fire 4 times.

The inverse square law, me old china.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Don't know ow far you have got with your shower plans, but came across this, interesting ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back