The Big Lorry to Camper Conversion (1 Viewer)

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Get some masking tape and start taping out on the floors, ceilings and walls where you want cables, pipes, hoses, holes, walls, switches, cupboards, the shower, the thunderbox etc to go, colour code the tape if you want to look like you really know what you are doing :D.
That should give you a more visual idea of what you can get on with first and also will show you whether things will actually fit if you mark out more exacting dimensions on the tape as well. ;)

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Nerd out lad, that's what this forum is for..

you should have seen me postulate about what I was doing to My Impreza when I took it back to a bare shell to turn it into a racecar.. on another forum years ago.. :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Im only joking. I've got an a3 folder with scale drawings in ? just didn't want to seem like a total nerd. Can't use computers so it's all pen and paper with me
When I used to design stuff for us, family, friends et al, such as kitchens, bathrooms etc, I would draw the units, equipment, furniture to scale on coloured paper and cut them out, then shuffle them around on scale floor plan to get the most suitable layout; it's much easier than messing about moving stuff on a computer screen. Once I was happy I'd then either do a full drawing (paper and pens) or when I got a computer, I'd do drawings on that with various views.

I used the paper-shuffle method before we bought out current home as it was a bit of a rabbit warren so we wanted to alter the layout to make it 'work' as we wanted it to - we swapped nearly all of the rooms round, moved walls, doorways, windows etc, so I had to do it before we committed to the purchase, eg the bathroom, dining room and part of a bedroom became the lounge; the main bedroom ended up as the kitchen; the lounge a bedroom etc. This was 26 years ago and at the time the only way to do it was to scale on paper with templates etc.

It is also a really good way to plan where I want to place stuff in rooms without lugging stuff around!

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
I find it almost therapeutic to sit with a rule and pen and draw. If its got a curve that I can't find a socket to match I'm not interested ? I have to do this alot at work when making stuff and things.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
When I used to design stuff for us, family, friends et al, such as kitchens, bathrooms etc, I would draw the units, equipment, furniture to scale on coloured paper and cut them out, then shuffle them around on scale floor plan to get the most suitable layout; it's much easier than messing about moving stuff on a computer screen. Once I was happy I'd then either do a full drawing (paper and pens) or when I got a computer, I'd do drawings on that with various views.

I used the paper-shuffle method before we bought out current home as it was a bit of a rabbit warren so we wanted to alter the layout to make it 'work' as we wanted it to - we swapped nearly all of the rooms round, moved walls, doorways, windows etc, so I had to do it before we committed to the purchase, eg the bathroom, dining room and part of a bedroom became the lounge; the main bedroom ended up as the kitchen; the lounge a bedroom etc. This was 26 years ago and at the time the only way to do it was to scale on paper with templates etc.

It is also a really good way to plan where I want to place stuff in rooms without lugging stuff around!
Ha, this is EXACTLY how I redesigned the kitchen. I was only 20 or so, so no computers as such back then. SO much easier to visualise. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ha, this is EXACTLY how I redesigned the kitchen. I was only 20 or so, so no computers as such back then. SO much easier to visualise. (y)
When I converted an ambulance into a camper I used this method, I had the cooker and fridge already so made everything else to fit around them and the openings/doors/windows of the ambulance itself. Even now I still do it as it is a much quicker way to get the basic layout right.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
When I converted an ambulance into a camper I used this method, I had the cooker and fridge already so made everything else to fit around them and the openings/doors/windows of the ambulance itself. Even now I still do it as it is a much quicker way to get the basic layout right.
when we did our self build we went to magnums with the mattress in the back stood the newely purchased fridge in place and then stood half their stock of doors up against the walls to see what would fit to give them their due they were extremely helpfull when confronted by this mad cockney

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
when we did our self build we went to magnums with the mattress in the back stood the newely purchased fridge in place and then stood half their stock of doors up against the walls to see what would fit to give them their due they were extremely helpfull when confronted by this mad cockney
Yes Magnums really are the best place for self builders if you can visit.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Can't believe anyone would actually draw plans for a kitchen/house layout. Even an old crusty like me can use Roomsketcher - floor plan, 3D and a walk through and should work for a camper/MH - and it's free (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Can't believe anyone would actually draw plans for a kitchen/house layout. Even an old crusty like me can use Roomsketcher - floor plan, 3D and a walk through and should work for a camper/MH - and it's free (y)
Didn't exist back in the 1980s when we bought our first house!

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Don't even go there, I've been talking to/bugging Gromett about this for days now ??. I've had so much conflicting information on this. I am clueless about it all tbh. Did just watch this video though

Seems to have changed my Mind again

£1100 for the battery charger/inverter
£150 for a whopping great big fridge

Compared to

£400 for battery charger
£600 for inverter
£600 for smaller fridge

All I want is to sit in my pants watching telly with cold beers in the fridge. Is that so much to ask ?

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I can actually believe it, he told us so, simples

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back