The Big Lorry to Camper Conversion (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
And some recommend the use of inserts into the end of the pipe.
Only for some fitting. Never found it necessary with any motorhome style fittings though. Mine has been in for 9 years of fulltimer use. Only leaky ones were my mistakes and a single faulty one from new. Prior to this I used the barbed ones with jubilee clips and they were forever springing leaks :(

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
For those of you saying don't use the crimp connectors and do use the push on fittings...
I would watch this. :)

And a freeze test if you decide to put any on the outside of the hab insulation

And an objective view of the three types you could choose from.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Any reason you want to go the pressurised system route instead of switch operated taps?
I know normal kichenware taps cost less but it will be at the expense of absolutely ensuring a leak free system design, rather than a more simple hose and hose clamp design
i would use domestics taps and showers because most caravan plastic stuff is crap using microswitches just adds a failure point .only down side of a pressured system is a leak will keep pumping till the tank is empty but every house is the same and we live with that risk
also you can have a thermostatic shower ive actually got one that i never got round to fitting which is yours for beer tokens its a small one ideal for a van search for tria mecante vertical shower

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
i would use speed fit pipe and fittngs available everywhere and they lock closed never had problems with them and they are demountable unlike hep usual size for vans is 12mm but i would just use 15mm for ease of supply and compatible with taps etc

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
and yes i would use plain inserts the o ringed ones are for heating systems where air can be drawn in not a problem on water supplies clip all the pipes well

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Thanks for all the input. I've got some reading and watching to do now!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't understand your point?
If anything goes tits up he can't be accused of passing something that should have failed because its his car.
He wouldn't even present his car for test if he knew something was iffy but its the principle.
That principle applies to his wife's car and mine.... He just won't do them.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Agree with most of the above but I'd go with a submersible pump: pressure is the same as the diaphragm type; flow rate is double; they're slightly cheaper; you can carry a really cheap one as an emergency spare. Take a look at Reich pumps.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
If anything goes tits up he can't be accused of passing something that should have failed because its his car.
He wouldn't even present his car for test if he knew something was iffy but its the principle.
That principle applies to his wife's car and mine.... He just won't do them.
Seems odd to me. More like a get out clause to not get forced into fixing families cars ?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Quality pipe, don’t buy coils, buy lengths. Cut with proper tool, and use inserts, and be careful dragging it through structure, scratches across the pipe aren’t terrible, but along it will stop the fittings sealing.
Hep2o fittings are my preferred as a plumber.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004

Similar shower valve from below company £54.95

John.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Quality pipe, don’t buy coils, buy lengths. Cut with proper tool, and use inserts, and be careful dragging it through structure, scratches across the pipe aren’t terrible, but along it will stop the fittings sealing.
Hep2o fittings are my preferred as a plumber.

I only buy lengths if I need a straight length for threading somewhere otherwise its coils for me, less joins less chance of a leak. Did a pub last year took 25 meters to reach the furthest rad easy using coils, any visible pipework is copper.
Always use inserts, so cheap it's silly not to.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Yes, the least joints the better. Lengths are standard at 3meter, but can buy 4m and even 6m lengths. Cant see there being any particular long runs in a MoHo was my thinking. The coils never straighten out as they tell you they will/do.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Have to agree they never straighten out although the barrier pipe is the worst and he won't need that for h&c.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Seems odd to me. More like a get out clause to not get forced into fixing families cars ?
No, not in the slightest. Just the opposite in fact.
He fixes her car, I fix my own.... Its like getting blood from a stone just getting him to lend a hand for two man jobs and I usually struggle alone, it's quicker than waiting days for him.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Have to agree they never straighten out although the barrier pipe is the worst and he won't need that for h&c.
With JG pipe I buy in coil form and use hot air gun to form the tighter bends, not too hot mind you.

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Some overdue updates of the truck
1569083933093.jpg

Fully preped for paint (and to anyone that spots the massive blunder... I know.... Im over it... Its to help mpg ?)

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Thank F*** for that, I was getting sick of climate change deniers :D

Getting there then... any more..
What about layout, what have you scribbled down for that or have you done a full on 3D model of the interior :D

Still no idea what the "blunder is"

OP
OP
MANGOFORTH

MANGOFORTH

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
7.5t Lorry
Exp
Zilch
Yes we have a rough plan. Raised floor at, the front, storage underneath, water-tanks under aswell. U shaped Kitchen on the raised floor, tanks go under he cupboards. Bathroom to the right of the door. At the back, sofa on one side so we can see out the window, then opposite sofa a big wall storage cupboard unit thing for clothes and the rest, cut out in the middle of the unit for the tele (obviously). Bed is at the back above the window on a pully/rail/hand winch contraption thingy (or as jasmine called it "a hinch") that drops down to just above the sofa so we can see out the window again. Then in the middle more stuff and things ?‍♂️

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
low wattage 240V Propex 10L water heater circa £175 { can work using an inverter }
low wattage 240V 14L Elektro Water heater dearer option { can work using an inverter }
Truma Combi gas boiler even dearer option LPG gas / 240V / 12V fan

Internet has User and installation instructions

Submersible 12V pump
or
12V pump with micro switch

water pipes 12MM rubber flexible pipes with 11MM to 16MM Jubilee clips
or
John guest 'push fit' semi flexible pipes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back