LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
OK, so we’re thinking of changing from caravan to motorhome and this will, probably (who am I kidding – definitely), be our first pleading for assistance, guidance, divine intervention, etc.

There are normally two of us travelling, but sometimes our adult daughter accompanies us, and the daft dug.

Currently we have a c7.9m long twin axle caravan with a lounge at each end (twin inward facing benches) that convert to 4 singles (or 2 doubles). We like this layout as it gives plenty of space and the opportunity to leave one of the lounges as “fixed” single beds whilst using the other as a dining \ living area. Obviously, we haul the thing around with a car and this has up to 7 belted seats.

So, you can see where this is going! Whilst we understand we won’t get the same level of space we are wanting to maximise this. We also understand that a similar layout will impact on our ability to carry the daughter (insufficient belted travelling seats) but she is OK with this as she only comes along occasionally and could \ would travel independently if she was to. However, as mentioned we have a daft spaniel collie cross who is nosey as heck and we need to restrain him.
We have looked at models with additional travelling seats but we think this significantly reduces the “open” space and have discounted these, particularly those with “fixed” tables.

Currently, our heads are at (in terms of layout) an Auto-trail Frontier Savannah (centre toilet \ shower) or Bessacarr 572 (rear toilet \ shower) or similar.

OK, if you’ve got this far (well done) here’s the questions –
· How do others who travel with their dog restrain him \ her?
· What are the thoughts on the two mentioned models?
· How big is the list of “what are we missing”?

Sorry for the waffling on but wanted to try and give as much info so we don’t waste your time talking about stuff that we’ve already considered.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Gellyneck, Welcome!
We made the move from 8m tourer and LR Disco 3 some 18 months ago. First point to make is we wish we had done it earlier, the freedom we now have is brilliant. Nobody but you can decide the best layout and our approach was to spend nearly 2 years looking. During this time we changed our minds quite a few times. Our needs are different (just 2 of us and no dog)
We ended up with a layout similar to what we would have had if we had downsized our caravan and are delighted. Many told us that it takes 3 motorhomes before you get the right one for you! If you spend more time looking you should get it right.
I've probably not helped you at all!
Cheers
Bernie:thumb:

Upvote 0

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Re the dog get a dog crate, nice and comfortable for the mutt with bedding in and fold flat for storage, good prices on ebay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We are very new and like you moved from a caravan. Our caravan had a fixed bed, end bathroom and large lounge. We new that we didn't want replace like for like and wanted to down size. So we just looked for the most important elements. We do have an end bathroom, fixed bed (but stored in the roof) and large lounge. We had to have four seat belts and like you have a grown daughter that will come now and again. But we decided that it was important to be able to seat her if she decided to come with us especially to Europe.

Both your choices look lovely, but i have zero experience with larger vans. Only a few weeks with a small 5.99 one. Take your time deciding evan if it is between these two vans. Have you driven on yet? My husband says he loves driving ours much better than towing. We are so glad we changed, but don't regret having a caravan as that suited our style of holiday at the time. We started looking about a year ago but not taking it seriously. This year was our 25th wedding anni and thought 'what the hell lets go for it'. ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, firstly the dog travels in between the front seats on his dog bed :Smile: but occasionally he now moves into the front passenger foot well /where the wife's feet used to be.Take your time on Layout simply because you won't have the same room as the caravan and as you know in bad weather you will need feet up lounging :winky:Try making up beds etc and imagine cooking a meal or at least making a sandwich ::bigsmile:-downside from caravan is basically room -up sides you have all your vans features with you /I usually have to put the kettle away turn fridge over check cupboards are closed etc then unplug and then away-all of 2 mins :winky:Layout layout layout :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Would one of the dog seat belts be of any use in conjunction with a harness? I suppose one could attach them to any fixed point in the habitation area with a bit of ingenuity. I started off by tethering my two dogs but they were very fidgety and with two of them they would get in a tangle. Found they were much calmer untethered but I don't suppose it would be great in an emergency braking situation.

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We have a fixed rear bed over a garage which is divided in two. Half of it is a dog kennel for our two, it has a cage type sliding door through to the van so they can see us. Also means when on site/aire we can open the side garage door for them to look out/get fresh air/get out or in if wet etc. At the front we have a half dinette with 2 swivel cab seats, 2 fixed belted seats
plus a side sofa with a removable extending table.
Took a long time for us to realise this is our ideal layout while we've got dogs.

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
iveco conversion
Exp
change and dug

Cant comment on models. Just bought our fixed bed iveco conversion, love it. Our idea re kids is to buy a drive away awning with inside sleeping compartment. Best models are the air filled frame ones that pump up and come down very quickly. Expensive about £450 but we also have portable double bed that inflates off electric pump, rigid frame and proper mattress. Folds itself down into a large suitcase size so need large storage area which we have. again expensive at £200. Kids come in car themselves. Dog no problem. Plywood board sits behind cab seats to keep him out of cab and he crashes out on couch!

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
This would suit your requirements:thumb: 1000 miles only and like new

Auto-Trail Cheyenne 740s SE Broken Link Removed
Auto-Trail Cheyenne 740s SE Length: 24'3" / 7.39mWidth: 7'7" / 2.31mHeight: 10’ / 3.04mMTPLM: 4005kgModel Year: 2010Four berthRear Fixed Single Beds/Washroom LayoutFiat Ducato x250 2287cc Turbo Diesel...

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i cant advise as to which model will suit you, as thats very personal to you

the dog, that really is a different matter. you either need a crate, which must be restrained. or attached via a harness to a seatbelt. this can be one already fitted, or by bolting a seatbelt point through the floor

in a collision, the weight of an unrestrained 20kg dog or other item will be magnified to be more like 200kg on impact with passengers or solid parts of the van. highly likely it would kill the dog and maybe the driver or passenger too

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This would suit your requirements:thumb: 1000 miles only and like new

Auto-Trail Cheyenne 740s SE Broken Link Removed
Auto-Trail Cheyenne 740s SE Length: 24'3" / 7.39mWidth: 7'7" / 2.31mHeight: 10’ / 3.04mMTPLM: 4005kgModel Year: 2010Four berthRear Fixed Single Beds/Washroom LayoutFiat Ducato x250 2287cc Turbo Diesel...

Definitely the kind of layout we're leaning towards. Guess it's a 2009 model registered in 2010?
You're never gonna believe this but bookmarked it yesterday morning!
Huge pity that you're at the other end of the country or we'd be in to have a look see \ chat with you.:cry:
Really appreciate your input on it though.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
i cant advise as to which model will suit you, as thats very personal to you

the dog, that really is a different matter. you either need a crate, which must be restrained. or attached via a harness to a seatbelt. this can be one already fitted, or by bolting a seatbelt point through the floor

in a collision, the weight of an unrestrained 20kg dog or other item will be magnified to be more like 200kg on impact with passengers or solid parts of the van. highly likely it would kill the dog and maybe the driver or passenger too

Yep, he definitely needs restrained for the safety reasons you noted.
A cage is out as he's a rescue dog and we think he's had a bad experience before we got him!:Angry:

He's got a harness and seatbelt set-up for the car and this sounds like a good option for us in the m\h.

As we're looking at m\h with front inward facing benches there wouldn't be a "spare" seatbelt option available. How easy \ difficulty is it to bolt a seatbelt point through the floor? What do I need to watch out for?

Would an option be to bolt through the bench seat frame or would this not be strong enough?

Appreciate your thoughts.:thumb:
Ta

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back