the best time to sell and buy (1 Viewer)

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
ive been wandering whats the best time to sell my motorhome and whats the best time to buy. we have a 6 birth motorhome but want to down load to a 2 or 3 as its too big for myself and sue.we want to buy a new one or nearly new.the couple of dealers ive approached advised me to sell it privately as I would get more for it than they could give me in part exchange. as anyone got an opinion regards steve

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The market appears to hot up in the spring. This is obviously the best time to sell!

As for buying, the deals available in late Autumn/Winter take some beating as dealers try to rid themselves of old stock.:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Never heard of anyone who got more than the perceived value for their van. So, keep your expectations down and you wont be disappointed. Then when you have the cash in your pocket you will have the bargaining power to walk away if not 100% happy.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I bought my last van in December, Christmas week. quiet happy with price :)

However they only wanted to give me £18k for my old van as a part ex..
Luckily I had room on my drive and could afford to hang on to it for a while..
Sold it private from a free advert site in April for almost £25k..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi best time to buy is now :thumb: best time to sell is back end of March ::bigsmile: Nothing much moves between Nov to March :winky:
terry

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
True, but there is always the exception.
We intended to sell our Hymer next February, but on impulse we listed it on e-bay, buy it now price, with reserve and a starting bid.

First eight days very quiet, then it slowly moved up, but well under the reserve, so back to plan "B".

Then the messages started to come in, the first visitor to take a test ride, made an offer and was surprised when it was refused. Several long distance calls for additional information were responded to.

Then contact was made by one person who made an offer which was not registered on e-bay. We advised it would be re-listed next year. He still wanted to view it, he did, test drive undertaken, we agreed a mid way price, and two days later he drove it away.

So it can be done, and if we were purchasing from a dealer, would be in a very strong position now.

Christmas eve, phone rings, "I'm calling about your Hymer" reply, We don't have a Hymer any-more, its got a new owner" response "You've sold it???"
reply "Yes, have a good Christmas" The phone went dead.

I would give it a go, if you do not reach the reserve it does not sell, and you will get a free listing, if you activate the offer within 30 days.

Good luck with which ever way you go:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back