The best gas system when travelling in Europe (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2007
suffolk
Funster No
MH
Trigano tribute hi top
Exp
since August 2009
I'm going to France and Spain for 3 months holiday in a few weeks and wondered what would be the best gas system to use At present I have 1x Gaslow refillable bottle and 1 x Calor gas bottle but as I'm going for a long time I want to know what the best system for me is. Ive got filler adapters to refill my Gaslow bottle in a garage when that runs out but when the Calor one runs out I won't be able to exchange it for a new full one.Would it be best to leave the Calor one at home and purchase a one abroad.What would be the best new replaceable ones to buy and what additional gas regulators are needed.It would be great if I could find a local company that deals with and installs gas systems in motorhomes to prepare it for my holiday for me.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
what size bottles do you have? if you can fit them in, go for 2 x 11kg refillable bottles. its a relatively simple fix to add a second bottle. if you can tighten a spanner up then you can do it yourself. jut make sure it is a number 2 bottle that allows the feed from your filler point to go to both cylinders.

if youre sensible and fill/top the lpg regularly then you should be able to get away with they set up you have, just keeping the spare calor for emergencies.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just get a second refillable waste of space carrying a Calor.
When in Spain try to fill up in the mountains to avoid getting a high butane mix in the gas

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
If you’ve not got space for a second refillable, then I’d run the Gaslow and keep an eye on the level - topping up as appropriate. But if you do run out, then start to use the Calor bottle and refill the Gaslow as soon as you can. Then flick back to the Gaslow, leaving the Calor for pure emergencies when you run out.

At least, this is what we do - I’m too tight to get 2 refillables and in nearly 3 years of using this set up, have not yet had to rely on the emergency Calor bottle.

(Interesting side thought - does the gas in a Calor bottle go off over time like unleaded fuel does? If so I’d best use ito_O)

OP
OP
Neil
Aug 18, 2007
suffolk
Funster No
MH
Trigano tribute hi top
Exp
since August 2009
That's useful information thanks I think I will get another refillable bottle because of lack of space it would have to be a 6kg one. I probably will need to be able to fill up both bottles so that when one is full it automatically refills the other one. Will I use the same gas regulator that I have now for use in the uk when I fill up in a garage in France or Spain.
Information about any other bits I need to purchase before I go away would be a help please. A supplier near where I live in Diss Norfolk would be helpful thanks

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Depends what time of the year you are going and how much time you will be off grid running the fridge on gas..In spring/summer/autumn 6 kg manages us,,I do have the back up of a small camping gaz i can switch over to if we ran out during cooking..6kg is refillable.BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If you’ve not got space for a second refillable, then I’d run the Gaslow and keep an eye on the level - topping up as appropriate. But if you do run out, then start to use the Calor bottle and refill the Gaslow as soon as you can. Then flick back to the Gaslow, leaving the Calor for pure emergencies when you run out.

At least, this is what we do - I’m too tight to get 2 refillables and in nearly 3 years of using this set up, have not yet had to rely on the emergency Calor bottle.

(Interesting side thought - does the gas in a Calor bottle go off over time like unleaded fuel does? If so I’d best use ito_O)
I am using a bottle of butane in my superser gas fire that is 10 years old..BUSBY.

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
We have 2x11Kg Gaslow bottles; we do multi-month trips mainly in winter.
We keep the valve on the second bottle closed and only open it when the first cylinder is empty and then fill-up at the first opportunity. 1 cylinder does us for a fortnight off grid with hot-water, heating, cooking (a lot) and fridge. Heating was Alde, and solar powers the fridge if sun shines.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990

Don't think the gas goes off.

I also carry just one gaslow and a calor. If visiting Spain, I take a Spanish cylinder with me instead which can be exchanged if I run out.

Elsewhere in Europe it's just the gaslow + calor. The calor is only used as an emergency supply until i can get the gaslow refilled. Just make sure you keep the calor turned off so you know when the gaslow runs out.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
If youre looking to spend money then an underslung tank might be an option? I think the advice offered about just having the gaslow turned on then if it runs out turn on the calor BUT look to refill the gaslow PDQ is great advice, no additional cost. I would add to that by suggesting you top up the gaslow as you travel. You will get an idea of how much gas youre using after you have topped up a couple of times, so you can judge how long to leave it. I would start with a full 11kg bottle then top up after a week initially. You then might be looking at topping up every 3 or 4 weeks once youve assessed your useage.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you do fit a second refillable, then when you fill up both bottles will be filled assuming not already full. You don't need to have or do anything special it's just the way they work

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We toured all over Europe for 5 months last year and the year before with an 11kg Gaslow and a Spanish 11kg propane as backup (we live in Spain, hence the Spanish propane :))

Never had to use the backup cylinder once in all that time, just made sure to know where the LPG outlets were on our travels and topped up regularly.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have a 11kg Gaslow re-fillable and a Calor back-up. Have toured all over Continent for weeks over last 10 years and never used the back-up - nearest we got to using it was in the Pyrenees, where there is not much LPG up the mountains, but we had to come down from one valley to access the next one, so only a slight detour to fill, even then we found we had 4lts left in the Gaslow although showing nearly zero, so we now know Gaslow guages are pessimistic.

I would go with the Gaslow(if it is 11kg - not stated in OP) and some back-up.

Geoff

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i would go with what you have use the calor as a back up if the refillable runs out but refill asap

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
@Neil - you asked if you need a different regulator to fill up abroad and have already been told 'no' - but you absolutely will need a set of adaptors to get the refilling nozzle on the pump to fit in your gas filler. Available mail order from Gaslow or reasonably sized UK camping/caravanning shop or dealers.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We also spend a lot of time in Spain and have 1 refillable Alugas and 1 Cepsa exchangeable gas bottle. We bought the Cepsa one 2nd hand off ebay. On reflection we would have been better with a Repsol as there appears to be more Repsol garages than Cepsa in Spain. . The reason we do this is that if you are on site for any length of time and your gas runs out the last thing you want to do is to have to pack up everything and drive to a garage. There's usually always someone who'll give you a lift to a garage to exchage you bottle and also many sites have a gas truck delivering bottles.
Just had a look on ebay - there are a couple for sale but this looks to be the best buy if you can collect.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
How come when talking about gas and Europe no-one has mentioned Rolex's and £2000 cash ?? Come on, your slipping.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
We have the same set up as you, a 11kg gaslow and a 6kg calor which is used only if desperate. We have toured abroad for the past 15 years with that set up and never had any problems. We manage about 17 days on the 11kg then fill up unless we use the heater then fill up a bit more often. Ideally we would have had the 6kg in gaslow as well but at the time it was down to cost, if you can afford it then that's the best way to go as it saves a fortune if you use a lot.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Some good advice re replacing bottle.
You have not made clear if you have refilled gas abroad before. Just in case you do not know, you will need set of filling adaptors (search E bay Autogas LPG Euro Europe car Adapter set (Alugas,Gaslow,Gasit & LPG Vehicles)

These go onto your LPG gas fill connector on the van. France and Spain use different connectors so you better buy the set with the three types commonly used.

Any questions on this come back and you will get the answer.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
@Neil you absolutely will need a set of adaptors to get the refilling nozzle on the pump to fit in your gas filler. Available mail order from Gaslow or reasonably sized UK camping/caravanning shop or dealers.

Just in case you do not know, you will need set of filling adaptors (search E bay Autogas LPG Euro Europe car Adapter set (Alugas,Gaslow,Gasit & LPG Vehicles)

These go onto your LPG gas fill connector on the van. France and Spain use different connectors so you better buy the set with the three types commonly used.

Any questions on this come back and you will get the answer.

Ive got filler adapters to refill my Gaslow bottle in a garage when that runs out.

:whistle::whistle:;);):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I’ve just swapped a 6kg calor “bottle” for a second 11kg Gaslow cylinder. We’re planning to spend a month in the Outer Hebrides in March/April so will need heating. As far as I know there’s only one refillable source on the islands - in Stornoway. Have we been too hasty? I don’t want to have to get on a ferry just to top up the gas!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I’ve just swapped a 6kg calor “bottle” for a second 11kg Gaslow cylinder. We’re planning to spend a month in the Outer Hebrides in March/April so will need heating. As far as I know there’s only one refillable source on the islands - in Stornoway. Have we been too hasty? I don’t want to have to get on a ferry just to top up the gas!
... Better get a big tank fitted too ....:cold:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have a single refillable Alugas bottle. He likes to carry an emergency calor when we are away for a while but we've never had to use it. Generally we keep an eye on the levels and when it gets into the orange we refill as soon as we see / find an lpg garage. I can see the advantages of using a lift out cylinder if you are staying on the same site for a long time but we rarely do that - and it isn't a huge hassle to unhook and go shopping :)

OP
OP
Neil
Aug 18, 2007
suffolk
Funster No
MH
Trigano tribute hi top
Exp
since August 2009
Thanks I'm sure a 2nd refillable Gaslow 6kg bottle will be the best but what I don't understand is that my campervan is currently set up to refill in uk when I use it in France and Spain will the gas be different from home and how do I tell what type it is I have a number of refilling adapters for different countries but will I have to carry a range of regulators to suit the different types of gas. Also when I fill up and there is some left in the bottle is it ok to mix the different types. Does it say on the gas pump in the garage what type of gas will be supplied

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
It's not the gas that's different, more butane than propane in the mix sometimes, it's the way you get it into your cylinder. You probably have a UK inlet so will need the adapters for France and Spain, as has already been mentioned.

No big deal, we all do it when travelling.

We have two 11kg Alugas cylinders and loads of adapters :)

Mick

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
lpg is a mix of propane and butane the mix is gauged to local conditions in use you will see no difference, its the filling nozzles that are different from country to country weve on once found a fill point that didnt have adaptors available but best to carry your own

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back