The best forum.. bar none... but does it need a name change ? (1 Viewer)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Leave it alone, its nice and friendly and no one derides a tugger or a non owner and thats made very obvious to all who come in here.

Peter

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Motorhome fun should stay as it is, everyone is welcome no matter where they lay their head, or what sort of bed, from tents to RVs, this is the place to be.

Pat

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Well what's in a name ? In America they don't differentiate between different forms or vehicles for *camping*
they are simply called "recreational vehicles" or RVs.

Not sure "RVFun" does it for me Jim. I note that RV can also stand for:
"Random Variable"
"Radio Vaticana"
and perhaps most worryingly, an IATA code for an airline based in Tehran!

All good sources of fun I'm sure, depending on your point of view, but not our sort I think?

Philip :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Interesting thread.

When I worked in business analysis we always reckoned that it was never wrong to ask a question. Finding out that no change is needed is just as valid a result as identifying areas which should be amended/updated - but if you don't ask you don't know.

Graham

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Interesting thread.

When I worked in business analysis we always reckoned that it was never wrong to ask a question. Finding out that no change is needed is just as valid a result as identifying areas which should be amended/updated - but if you don't ask you don't know.

Graham

Indeed Graham , thanks

some of the curt replies don't have much *Fun* in them .. I could almost hear the keys banging .. :RollEyes:

maybe best to toe the party line and keep quiet ..

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Indeed Graham , thanks

some of the curt replies don't have much *Fun* in them .. I could almost hear the keys banging .. :RollEyes:

maybe best to toe the party line and keep quiet ..

Don't feel that way Jim, I thought it was a great thread and have enjoyed reading it., As Graham says, nothing wrong with asking the question and I suppose what its highlighted is most are happy :thumb:

spiritsfree

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
Sandy, Beds.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I think all are saying a big thanks to you Jim,.... and what a great site it is
!!
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Being relatively new to the site I like it as it is. It has everyting I joined for.The title tells us what it's about and the members are welcoming of all varieties of camper. Success breed success, I'm sure the site will grow considerably more but not forget its origins and keep its current identity.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Indeed Graham , thanks

I broke at least three nails, all me typing fingers I might add James over your post an boiled a kettle of water with the steam coming out of my head:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
As time has gone on Motorhomefun has grown into one of the best motorhome forums, Jim should rightly be proud that it has been such a great success.. however, does the name reflect the diverse types of vehicles the members own ..
Ultimately it's up to Jim, it's his forum and his and Bryan's hard work and dedication that has made it work.. long may it continue whatever it's called. :Smile:

You want to change the name now ........... after I forked out my 50p to buy a MotorhomeFun flag to stick on my car.. :Angry:

It's got years of life left in it yet - so NO, leave well enough alone! :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
This thread typifies MHF , it has generated interesting discussion and drawn on the honest personal opinions of many different people all with the common interest of travelling and camping in its various forms.
Good one Jim :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Good thread Jim,:thumb:

I understand why you made the post, and whilst the domain name must remain, maybe we could do something with the strap line. Its been "Free Fun & Facts" or "Free Facts and Fun" since inception, really only to dig at the dark side. Now all that water is under the bridge a more encompassing, or at least better strap line could be composed. The dark side had "Connecting Motorhomers" for a while which I thought was OK but mediocre. I still like "Free Fun and facts for motorhome enthusiasts" but its not set in stone and easily changed, so if someone can come up with something better I'll use it.

I'd have responded earlier but I was taking advantage of the glorious weather in Wales to get the shallots and runners in::bigsmile:

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
There is another site which already encompasses all forms of camping, it is divided and sub divided into forums for tents, caravans and motorcaravans, the sub forums don't really interact and they couldn't by any stretch of the imagination be called "Fun"

As Haganap has already said there was a family with a trailer tent at the inaugural Motorhome Fun Meet who were every bit as much full members as any one else. We have members who don't have a motorhome or tent or caravan but are interested in learning about them for the future. After all the time, effort and money Jim has put into going to shows, publicity and the site itself, the name of the site shouldn't even be an issue.

As has been said, If it aint broke don't fix it :thumb:

Tina

R

reader

Deleted User
Whilst not being a prolific poster, I do lurch a lot on MH Fun and agree if it aint broke dont fix it.
If you change the name, you would all have to work hard to get the new name "up" in the search engines

SwanseaJackold

Free Member
Mar 7, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Caravan then M/H since 1999
Please don't change anything. Best site on tinternet. Lots of infomation and very helpful people.

We are all lucky to have this site/facility - rebranding doesn't always work out for the best.

Well done Jim keep up the good work - much appreciated.

Bob

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I thoroughly agree with all those comments.

If it works leave alone,

A lot of people/manufacturers rebrand to give themselves a new image.

(To me a "Snickers" bar is still the "Marathon" of old.)

Here's one site that has got a great image with many Happy "customers"

It works for me.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Our two pennies worth would be "Motorhome Fun" does what is says on the tin.:thumb:

Really only newies to this but have found a socialable, caring, interesting and very helpful community here.

The name says it all our motorhome is for fun and so are all the people we have met so far.
No need for a change just for changes sake.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
How about tin-tents.com

In fact I think I will go spend £3.90 and buy the co.uk domain right now cos I rather like that !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Indeed it could be !

Before getting involved with the loony lot that is motorhome owners all the bikers I knew always called mh and vans tin tents :Smile:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Leave it alone, its nice and friendly and no one derides a tugger or a non owner and thats made very obvious to all who come in here.

Peter

Now that is an excellent way to put it Peter & I'm in total agreement. :thumb:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I have been a member of this forum for around 18 months..and I have found the members to be helpful welcoming and exremely well informed...if you have a question someone on here knows the answer or can throw a light on it

I have.. since being a member sold my van and emigrated to Tenerife but when I mentioned this on the forum.. people were a bit aghast "Oh no your not going are you" was one post.. how ever I look upon my membership here as a type of foreign correspondent and I keep a look out for English vans over here (I think there are currently 5 over here at the mo!) and still post subjects and also add me tuppence worth now and again

As for changing the name..site owners prerogative I would say ...but what ever Jim decides I'll still be on here making a nuisance of meself if I'm allowed as a non motorhoming motorhomer if you get my drift

MOTORHOME FUN it does what it says it's for motorhomers who have FUN.....Long may it do so!!!

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
As time has gone on Motorhomefun has grown into one of the best motorhome forums, Jim should rightly be proud that it has been such a great success.. however, does the name reflect the diverse types of vehicles the members own .. quite often we see members who are changing to a caravan and are asking if they are still welcome.

We have members who own, American RVs, 5th. wheelers, Caravans, Camper vans, Euro vans , etc etc etc and some who are still looking and trying to decide what's best, and we may also be missing out on visitors who feel it's only for motorhomes..

I'm not trying to upset the apple cart, the old adage, don't fix if it aint broken come to mind, but I feel the forum name would be better if it included ALL types.. or made it clear in the banner that it's not an exclusive forum just for motorhome owners.

I'm just floating an idea and testing the water, what do you think ?

Ultimately it's up to Jim, it's his forum and his and Bryan's hard work and dedication that has made it work.. long may it continue whatever it's called. :Smile:

I see where you are coming from but I feel the existing name is about right. It has an excellent reputation and I see no benefit from changing it. My favourite site and with all due respects to tuggers I think it should stay as it is. It is the specificness of the site that keeps me here and I am unlikely to be drawn here if posts become tugger orientated. If I was a tugger I doubt I would be here.

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Haganap summed it all up perfectly in his first post. Thank you for that.

We started off with a motorhome but, as he said, in our case it could not continue because of health grounds. Now we have a caravan. At first we thought it unethical to stay with MotorhomeFun, then when we attended the next meet with the caravan no-one batted an eyelid. We are very happy with our Club and more than happy it stays the same name because that is the main topic.

There are 100's of threads a day that have nothing to do with motorhomes, or are relevant to caravanners as well. We often spend three hours a day on here and pick up loads of important info. We have a lot of friends too, and make more each time we go away. So No, leave it as MotorhomeFun because as you say, we tow our Home with a Motor just like everyone else - it's just that it is a metre away. :thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
By heck Jim 2 days and so many replies !!! you have certainly opened a can of worms with this one - me I always feel that,' if it aint broke dont fix it ' but I can see your point - if we had not been pointed at the site some time ago by Sundowners who are also 5'er owners we may well not have joined - but once in it is very obvious that all are more than welcome and all are catered for :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back