The Age old Battery problem (1 Viewer)

Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
I have noticed that the two 110Ah Elecsol batteries fitted in our camper are now 7 years old and may need replacing in the near future. I haven't tested them yet however I will do before we set off on holiday for 6 weeks. I like the peace of mind in having plenty of battery power as we spend a fair amount of time off grid. I was thinking of replacing both batteries with a single Varta 250/270 AH but notice that the original battery box/locker will not take the length of any batteries greater than 110 AH. Has anyone come across this problem and found a battery size greater than 110 AH that will fit in the compartment? Another alternative may be to extend the main leads and put a single 250+AH battery in the adjacent locker. Any thoughts/suggestions would be very welcome.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
these days some seem to be making more amp hour batteries smaller than they used to.
just ask around and measure some . try all your local battery places .
not sure how good some of them are but 200 amphr ones seem to be down to the size of 170 amphr ones in places .

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
110's should be ok for most applications that's what I use, are you using solar? as a good solar system will run /keep your system in peak condition.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vennwood
Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
No Solar I'm afraid - well not so far. There is a Sterling 50AMP B2B fitted so before a go mad and get solar I want to see how effective this is. In the past we have mainly moved on after 2 or 3 days so the B2B may suffice. I have been a staunch supporter of solar having had a total of 435W on the roof on our last camper and boasted that we never used EHU in over 8 years. (and that was using the camper some 18 -20 weeks every year, winter included). I'm not sure about 2 x 110 being enough and all the sites I've looked at so far have indicated a jump in length from around 350mm to over 500mm once you look at larger batteries.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
125AH in DC31 format should fit, but measure carefully.
Broken Link Removed

Buying two a bit cheaper here from the same people
Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back