The 90 day rule has been navigated. (1 Viewer)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
it took me some time to fathom out just how to get round the 90 day rule, but like most things in life given enough time it can be done. OK, it will cost you the princely sum of 7 Emus, but nothing worth having is for free.

During the transition period, Brits won’t need a visa to go to Europe. But that will change when the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) is implemented next year.

From 2021, if you want to visit Europe for longer than 90 days, British travellers will need to complete an online ETIAS application form before going to Europe. It will cost €7 to register for three years and you’ll need to do it 72 hours before you want to travel.

The ETIAS isn’t a visa – it’s a visa waiver and will work in a similar way to the ESTA visa-waiver scheme in the US.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
How will that get round the 90 day rule. I thought that applied even with ETIAS?
From 2021, if you want to visit Europe for longer than 90 days, British travellers will need to complete an online ETIAS application form before going to Europe. It will cost €7 to register for three years and you’ll need to do it 72 hours before you want to travel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Regret to say you appear to be misinformed. Take a look at Broken Link Removed . This explains things very clearly. When it comes into effect at the end of 2022, we will still be restricted by the 90-in-180 day rule, which will come into effect for UK Passport travellers from 1st January 2021....... unless in the next 48 hours or so a different arrangement is included in a "Deal" between Gov UK and the EU.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Even if we had stayed in the EU we would still have needed this. That is because it is needed to enter the Schengen area, not all of the EU. As we were never members of the club, we would have had to have this whether or not we were members of the EU.

And, as others say, it does not change the 90 day rule, which is an EU, not Schengen, requirement.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Millcourt, I'm sorry to say that you are right :cry: .
As per the ETIAS web site 'The ETIAS visa waiver will allow eligible visitors to enter the Schengen Area for short-term stays of up to 90 days for tourism, transit or business'
The 90 day rule still applies.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Regret to say you appear to be misinformed. Take a look at Broken Link Removed . This explains things very clearly. When it comes into effect at the end of 2022, we will still be restricted by the 90-in-180 day rule, which will come into effect for UK Passport travellers from 1st January 2021....... unless in the next 48 hours or so a different arrangement is included in a "Deal" between Gov UK and the EU.
Sadly, that is my understanding ... I do hope that visas become easier to come by. My son is just applying for a holiday job as a sailing instructor in EU next year ... I don’t have the heart to tell him that it’s extremely unlikely UK nationals will be able to work on seasonal contracts in the same way as they have done in the past.

Mike Roll

Free Member
Dec 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Chausson
Exp
Since 2002
it took me some time to fathom out just how to get round the 90 day rule, but like most things in life given enough time it can be done. OK, it will cost you the princely sum of 7 Emus, but nothing worth having is for free.

During the transition period, Brits won’t need a visa to go to Europe. But that will change when the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) is implemented next year.

The ETIAS isn’t a visa – it’s a visa waiver and will work in a similar way to the ESTA visa-waiver scheme in the US.
I'll have to look into that. When I phoned the French Embassy, they didn't say anything about that possibility.

Mike Roll

Free Member
Dec 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Chausson
Exp
Since 2002
I'll have to look into that. When I phoned the French Embassy, they didn't say anything about that possibility.

Quote from the ETIAS website​

How many times can I enter the EU with an ETIAS?​

You can enter the Schengen member states for as many times as you want, for as long as your ETIAS is valid, and you have not stayed more than 90 days in a 180 day period.

So I'm still stuffed.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Will know what happens in a few days when they decide on a deal, or not.

I can see long term renegotiations taking place for everything, who knows, it might be in our long term interests to join again once the wounds have healed. I hope if we don’t, we can negotiate some of the benefits we had before.

The 90 day rule is a real shame for us as we were planning on touring Europe long term when we retired. I really hope it gets sorted.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That's because the ETIAS scheme has nothing to do with staying longer than 90 days. It will be used for even the shortest visit once it is rolled out. Its a way of checking on people entering and leaving the Schengen area.

As far as I know getting a visa to stay longer than 90 days is very difficult. I am planning on just going earlier in the year, returning for 90 days in summer then going back to France/Spain etc in the autumn. Other combinations are possible but returning to the UK for 90 days is the only way to reset the clock.

Mike Roll

Free Member
Dec 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Chausson
Exp
Since 2002

I can see long term renegotiations taking place for everything, who knows, it might be in our long term interests to join again once the wounds have healed. I hope if we don’t, we can negotiate some of the benefits we had before.

The 90 day rule is a real shame for us as we were planning on touring Europe long term when we retired. I really hope it gets sorted.
Yes.
I know this isn't supposed to be a political blog site, so I won't say too much or I'll really get worked up. Yes join again.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
This ruling has been known about for a few years now, as Uk has never been a Schengen member state

ETIAS and Brexit are coincidental. ETIAS is not a consequence of Brexit. Broken Link Removed of the region and the safety of its citizens. European Parliament representatives expressed the need for this system "By knowing who is coming to the EU before they even arrive at the border, we will be better able to stop those who may pose a threat to our citizens."

Broken Link Removed

Pete

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
This ruling has been known about for a few years now, as Uk has never been a Schengen member state

ETIAS and Brexit are coincidental. ETIAS is not a consequence of Brexit. Broken Link Removed of the region and the safety of its citizens. European Parliament representatives expressed the need for this system "By knowing who is coming to the EU before they even arrive at the border, we will be better able to stop those who may pose a threat to our citizens."

Broken Link Removed

Pete
Really? I didn’t know that, I though pre Brexit we were able to stay as long as we liked. Would it have changed with the ETIAS scheme?

The problem I have now is sorting the fake news from the false nationalism that keeps coming out, the COVID vaccine for example, which had nothing to do with Brexit.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520

How to Extend a Schengen Visa while being within Schengen Area?​

One of the main things that those visiting Europe get concerned about at the end of their Schengen visa validity is if there is a way for them to extend their stay in Europe.

Whether you are a traveler who wishes to experience more of Europe, a business person who has some unforeseen business to do after the expiration of their visa, or a patient seeking medical treatment in one or more member states of the Schengen Zone that needs to continue their medical treatment, you will not be permitted to stay in Europe after the expiration of your Schengen visa, unless you extend it.

According to the Schengen rules, one can obtain a short-stay visa for Europe for a maximum of three months within a six-month period. However, for many foreigners 90 days are just not enough, especially for travelers who want to visit all of the 28 Schengen Member States, each of which is an interesting attraction with rich culture and traditions, making these travelers wish not to leave.

Though many believe that it is impossible to extend a short-stay Schengen visa, that is actually quite possible. It is very hard, but if you have a strong reason in which you base your application then you have quite a chance to get that visa extension.

Schengen Visa Extension​

Short-stay Schengen visa extensions are permitted by the regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council (EC) No. 810/2009 of 13 July 2009 establishing a Community Code on Visas (Journal of Laws of the EU of 2009 L243/1). However, you will have very low chances to get one, if you do not have a strong reason as the basis of you application.

Read more..................

Pete

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes, really.Nothing to do with anything else.
I didn’t know that, I though pre Brexit we were able to stay as long as we liked.
No , 89 days maximu, after that you are required to register as a resident. Pre brexit you automatically became one.
Would it have changed with the ETIAS scheme?
Yes as above . Not in schengen then it would be needed.

Now, the only Brits that will not require one is those ,like, me, who have residency & the new ID card

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Thanks for the clarification. 👍

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Portugal is considering a work around.
0AC7629A-EADD-4DD8-BEF4-A691C089E393.png

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sorry for being a smug git but I can stay anywhere in the EU for as long as I want... l could even work too (that's not going to happen though!).

JJ :cool:
Wait till you get your "Helping you back to work letter" off the Portuguese dole office :Grin:.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Really? I didn’t know that, I though pre Brexit we were able to stay as long as we liked. Would it have changed with the ETIAS scheme?

The problem I have now is sorting the fake news from the false nationalism that keeps coming out, the COVID vaccine for example, which had nothing to do with Brexit.
Did someone mention covid?

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Yes, really.Nothing to do with anything else.

No , 89 days maximu, after that you are required to register as a resident. Pre brexit you automatically became one.

Yes as above . Not in schengen then it would be needed.

Now, the only Brits that will not require one is those ,like, me, who have residency & the new ID card
Yeah. Same here. Isle of man residents cant spend as much time as they like in the schengen area.

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
For my sins, I'm an insurance broker and last week took part in the SME Advisory Board meeting of the British Insurance Brokers Association. During a discussion on Brexit (mainly around green cards *from a motoring perspective), I raised the question of motor homers and longer stays whether touring or full timing. Basically, the answer was that there was no answer. All discussion so far has tended to be on static residences rather than mobile.

*Green cards will be required if a no deal but now allowed to be on white paper. It must be a hard copy with electronic versions not permitted. If pulling a trailer (or caravan/boat/small car) a card will be required for each vehicle

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014

While the negotiating teams are trying to thrash out fishing rights and level playing fields, sadly I don't think that the concerns of motorhomers (us included) who had retirement plans to travel unfettered around Europe, are uppermost in their minds.

Maybe, in years to come, individual agreements between the UK and European countries may be negotiated which will restore some of our 'freedoms'. I'm not holding my breath on that and so will have to navigate my way around 90/180, as much as that hurts. We've made our bed!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back