That's put paid to that then, (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Whilst it is advisory & there is no legal enforcement people will interpretet they way they wish.

I will not be surprised if Parliament backs up this lockdown with Regulations like they did in March. Expect legislation to be passed this week. Accordingly, it will be a criminal offence to leave home unless you can prove the journey is reasonable under the guidance, and somehow within the specific exceptions listed in the Regs without stretching the intention of the legislation too far. Expect fines or other penalties for those caught in breach.

How much resource will be provided to police travel on the roads is a valid question, but "I don't think there is much chance that I will be stopped" is not a good excuse to take your MH out for the day to enjoy the countryside or forest or other scenery even though it would make you feel better. I am sure we would all benefit from days out after 5th November, but it really defeats the purpose of the new lockdown.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Well I can see the New Forest from here and can tell you that the rangers and the police were very hot on moving people on in the last lockdown. Any carparks with barriers locked and regular patrols
Yes they are very very keen plus the get a lot of information from the locals

OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
From the gov website:

You should avoid all non-essential travel by private or public transport.

Essential travel includes, but is not limited to
  • essential shopping
  • travelling to work where your workplace is open or you cannot work from home
  • travelling to education and for caring responsibilities
  • hospital GP and other medical appointments or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health.
If you need to travel we encourage you to reduce the number of journeys you make, walk or cycle where possible, or to plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport. This will allow you to practise social distancing while you travel.

Overnight stays and holidays away from primary residences will not be allowed- including holidays in the UK and abroad. This includes staying in a second home, if you own one, or staying with anyone you do not live with or are in a support bubble with.
Thanks Philann. Could not be clearer. Fingers crossed its only for 4 weeks, then those that feel the need can get back out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
gus-lopez Here at the seafronts there are signs to advise twice the distance for those riding a bike or jogging. How each country in the European dis-union organise themselves. Funny really

here they painted new cycle lanes during the first lock down & when let out the first thing they had to do was enforce with fines to get the cyclists off the pavements & esplanades & stop them running down pedestrians& runners.
What do you mean?
Furlough, being paid to stay at home .Not out exercising.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
20 miles on a bicycle isn’t very far at all. When I rode a bit we usually rode between 70 and 100 miles on each ride. I tend to walk around 15 to 20 miles on my walks. Not everyone is unfit. Some of us realise that being as fit as we can be gives us a better chance of surviving Covid if we catch it.
I'm not debating what constitutes a good ride out for those who are able to do it but going 20 miles in the current climate isn't the most sensible thing to do IMV.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I'm not debating what constitutes a good ride out for those who are able to do it but going 20 miles in the current climate isn't the most sensible thing to do IMV.
In your view. To you that probably sounds a long way and too far in the current climate. To most reasonably fit people twenty miles isn’t really worth getting the bike out for.
Today I’m a very lazy man, only walked just over 5 miles and only twenty minutes on the weights. I will do better tomorrow. My plan is to keep as fit as possible to try to give myself a fighting chance if I catch Covid. I could hardly complain about others (the rave and party types) endangering my health if I endanger it myself by allowing myself to become fat and unfit.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In your view. To you that probably sounds a long way and too far in the current climate. To most reasonably fit people twenty miles isn’t really worth getting the bike out for.
Today I’m a very lazy man, only walked just over 5 miles and only twenty minutes on the weights. I will do better tomorrow. My plan is to keep as fit as possible to try to give myself a fighting chance if I catch Covid. I could hardly complain about others (the rave and party types) endangering my health if I endanger it myself by allowing myself to become fat and unfit.
Do you really have to travel that distance AWAY from home though? A circular route kept more locally (eg no more than 5 miles away at any time) would to me at least seem more sensible and lessen the time too - we are in the middle of a pandemic at the moment so what may be okay in 'normal times' could be kerbed to ensure not only you, but others, are kept safer. No-one want so restrict people unnecessarily but unfortunately that's the way it is at present.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Do you really have to travel that distance AWAY from home though? A circular route kept more locally (eg no more than 5 miles away at any time) would to me at least seem more sensible and lessen the time too - we are in the middle of a pandemic at the moment so what may be okay in 'normal times' could be kerbed to ensure not only you, but others, are kept safer. No-one want so restrict people unnecessarily but unfortunately that's the way it is at present.
I never at any point mentioned travelling anywhere. You are making that up. I walk from my house. I’m on Ilkley moor in ten minutes why would I need to travel?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I never at any point mentioned travelling anywhere. You are making that up. I walk from my house. I’m on Ilkley moor in ten minutes why would I need to travel?
I assume you aren't just being obtuse? I am talking 'generally' not just about you, not everyone has the moors on their door step ... if you go for a 10 mile hike and for some reason need assistance who's gonna provide that? If you go for a bike ride make it shorter in both time and distance, or at least keep the 'diameter' of the ride within a sensible distance of home so if needs be you can get back easier, same with a walk, or whatever you do ... pogo sticking for all I care ... it's not just about you but also anyone else who 'may' have to help you if you have an accident etc ...

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I assume you aren't just being obtuse? I am talking 'generally' not just about you, not everyone has the moors on their door step ... if you go for a 10 mile hike and for some reason need assistance who's gonna provide that? If you go for a bike ride make it shorter in both time and distance, or at least keep the 'diameter' of the ride within a sensible distance of home so if needs be you can get back easier, same with a walk, or whatever you do ... pogo sticking for all I care ... it's not just about you but also anyone else who 'may' have to help you if you have an accident etc ...
Just like the anyone else having to help if you have a heart attack or fall over and can’t get back up because you’re to fat or too unfit. I’ve been the one doing the rescuing of people for a great number of years and in all that time have rescued more unfit and obese people from their own house than I’ve ever rescued from being out on the fells or mountains.
You want to be unfit fine go for it. Just don’t expect others to follow suit. Being fit gives you a much better chance of living a long and healthy life.

Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We were planning to have a few days away down in the new forest next week, before parking the MH up for the winter. Looks like Boris has put the tin hat on that. I know technically we've got until midnight on Wednesday, but as Jenny said, it would be irresponsible and unfair on the good people of Hampshire to set off tomorrow as we'd planned, with things clearly getting out of hand just about everywhere. So it looks like I'll give it it's final washdown of the year instead and park up for the winter. Like just about everyone else on here we'll have to write this year off and look forward and hope that we can get back to some form of normality in 2021

I think you will find its Covid that has put paid to it ,not Boris

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Just like the anyone else having to help if you have a heart attack or fall over and can’t get back up because you’re to fat or too unfit. I’ve been the one doing the rescuing of people for a great number of years and in all that time have rescued more unfit and obese people from their own house than I’ve ever rescued from being out on the fells or mountains.
You want to be unfit fine go for it. Just don’t expect others to follow suit. Being fit gives you a much better chance of living a long and healthy life.
It certainly worked for Winston Churchill. On a personal level I find exercise for its own sake the most boring activity possible. I'm 72, a bit over-weight, with no health issues, so I'll continue to exercise my brain. The thought of cycling 20 miles fills me with horror.

OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
What I meant to say was "Looks like Boris's announcement has put the tin hat on that"

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
It certainly worked for Winston Churchill. On a personal level I find exercise for its own sake the most boring activity possible. I'm 72, a bit over-weight, with no health issues, so I'll continue to exercise my brain. The thought of cycling 20 miles fills me with horror.
Im with you, perfectly serviceable car on the drive😄

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
"You are allowed outside in public spaces with a member of your household for recreational purposes"
Surely I can moho the the New Forest with Mrs Keep Right On, picnic without talking to anyone else or even getting out other than turning the gas on and be legal
Sum just don't understand essential travel only no wonder it's spreading like wild fire
BILL

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
As Wales is still coming out of lockdown on Monday we’re contemplating a last long weekend away (in Wales) with the Moho... maybe the Plassey which is pretty local but an excellent site that has a golf course or we might try to find somewhere on Anglesey again 👍🏻

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As Wales is still coming out of lockdown on Monday we’re contemplating a last long weekend away (in Wales) with the Moho... maybe the Plassey which is pretty local but an excellent site that has a golf course or we might try to find somewhere on Anglesey again 👍🏻
If we are in lockdown with only essential travel, how are you proposing to get to wales?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back