That's it, we've both decided we've had enough! (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We are headi

ng to Spain at the beginning of March and have noticed the liking for Totana on the Forum. We have viewed it on Google Earth but what is the major attraction for so many Funsters?
It's the endless supply of christmas cake that you are required to bring to get in.:D2

@Minxy Girl
When I broke mine around the drain on way over a couple of years back I bought some Dow-Corning silicon, used for sealing the glass sides on fish tanks & aquariums. Sealed it perfectly well & never leaked.
Stripped it all out on return some 3 months later & repaired.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It's the endless supply of christmas cake that you are required to bring to get in.:D2

@Minxy Girl
When I broke mine around the drain on way over a couple of years back I bought some Dow-Corning silicon, used for sealing the glass sides on fish tanks & aquariums. Sealed it perfectly well & never leaked.
Stripped it all out on return some 3 months later & repaired.
Mrs Maison used to work for Dow Corning. As a result we got their products, direct, at cost price. e.g. a cartridge of silicon sealant for 50p.

When we bought our previous house we fitted all skirtings, architraves, etc using the sealant as an adhesive.

It carried a ten year warranty. When we sold the house, 29 years later everything was still in place.

We miss being able to buy at that price but..........

.......retirement is worth it.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Wait until it rains?, Grab soap and get out there!. (Now for the Uncle Albert bit!);) "when I was on the older steamers",:whistle: Fresh water was in short supply and the Boilers got first look in!. So when it rained the upper deck was full of Seamen in the "altogether":D2 getting a quick fresh shower, the rest of the time we mostly made do without,:( or got showered in SEA water.:cry:

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
We are with Mr Chrysalis
a long extension outside
As the actress said to the Bishop

Linda18

Free Member
Jan 8, 2018
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2003
I had the old shower tray taken out of my van. A mould was made from it. A new shower tray, in the colour I wanted (blue) was made and then fitted. Guranteed for 30 years. As for Spain, I go to Mojacar late February for 6 weeks.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
You really need to go as far as Beni for warm weather should not take longer than 4/5 days
Currently in Calpe only 20 kilometrs from Benidorm. It's b#***#y cold and heavy wind.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Currently in Calpe only 20 kilometrs from Benidorm. It's b#***#y cold and heavy wind.
I actually read that as “bitterly”. Must be getting polite in my old age

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
I had the old shower tray taken out of my van. A mould was made from it. A new shower tray, in the colour I wanted (blue) was made and then fitted. Guranteed for 30 years. As for Spain, I go to Mojacar late February for 6 weeks.

Can I ask where you stay please

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
good luck and enjoy, how about a temporary fix to the shower tray? if there is room to spray in some self-setting foam while you or hubby are stood on the tray then tape over of the cracks that should do till the new tray is properly fitted.
Your plans all sound very exciting!
Regarding fixing the shower tray, how about using a 'plastic weld' epoxy resin? I've used Delta Adhesives D314 with good results even for gluing plastic to metal (Series Land Rover diesel engine stop switch).
Drill the corners of the crack to stop it extending further, key up the surface with fine sandpaper then fill the crack with the 2-pack resin. It will probably cure yellowish, but it would only be a temporary repair until your new shower tray arrives. I did this myself on a Bailey caravan, the resin is a tougher substance than the original abs plastic once it's fully cured.

pollensabob

Free Member
Jan 30, 2008
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7 years
Not much better here in Zahora near Conil de La Frontera raining and chilly got heater on in motorhome.

Harvard

Free Member
Nov 19, 2013
Broom
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Minxy, you said, NOT Italy or Morocco (too complicated with the dogs).

Understand the issues with Morocco, what are the issues with Italy ?

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Here in Valencia city we are having day after day of beautiful sunny weather. In the sun, it's like April in UK. In shadow it is distinctly chilly.

But any day now it could change. This cold snap will end and we could get what I have had here some years, 20°-23°C in early Jan.

Load the Met Office app into your phone and just point your wagon towards the places showing fried eggs. Note the difference altitude makes Valencia v Madrid.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180114-120153.png
    Screenshot_20180114-120153.png
    189.4 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Minxy, you said, NOT Italy or Morocco (too complicated with the dogs).

Understand the issues with Morocco, what are the issues with Italy ?
Answered that earlier: :)

The dog reference was only in relation to Morocco - in order to come back from there they have to have had blood tests done when they were originally vaccinated for rabies and only 2 of our were done under the 'old regime' which required it so our other one hasn't had it done, if we were wanting to stay away for 3 months or so then it might be worth doing so we could travel further afield but not at the moment.

As for Italy, there's no problem taking dogs there, but we're not interested in going as we went last year and didn't enjoy it as we found the roads bad (they ruined 2 of our tyres) and dirty in a lot of places.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Slight update ... we're thinking of getting away earlier than originally planned ... once we've got a few bits sorted there's nothing to keep us here so might be able to escape sooner and stay away for a longer (just need to pay a small supplement for our travel insurance for the extra 15 days). I've got some banking stuff on the go at the moment which I need to be here for (to receive stuff in the post) but hopefully that'll all be sorted by the end of the month then nothing to keep us here.

As for the shower ... rather than mess about putting all the bits back (2 roller doors etc) I'm thinking of doing without and use either campsite ones every now and then, use ones at other places (marinas, sports centres etc) if needs be, or just have some really good washes! I'm thinking of putting-up a shower curtain on a push-fit pole so at least when we go to the loo we can still do so in private although when hubby goes for a sit down 'job' I might have to abandon ship for half an hour while the air clears! :censored:

As it's likely to be cool I've dug out some long thermal lined curtains so I can put them at the rear of the camper inside the rear doors to close them off at night and give a bit more insulation as I sleep next to them (these will hang on an expanding shower pole), and I've also got another large curtain to fit behind the cab too so we can close it off to keep the rest of the camper warmer - fortunately with having an L-shaped lounge we don't need to use the cab seats.

I'm gonna have another play this afternoon so hopefully will have the curtains etc installed by tonight along with a few other little jobs done. As most of the food stuff is sorted that can go back in, then it's just a matter of changing the summer clothing & footwear for something a bit warmer/more suitable and going through the other bumph we will need to take however hubby's already made a start on that and the dining table is piled high ... I'll have a 'cull' when he's not looking as he likes to take spares ... plus spares for spares! :D2

Getting excited about it now ... can't wait to get down to Spain and Portugal and get my noshers into some lovely Pastel de Nata pastries!!!! :love:

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
You are looking well prepared for the low temperatures...we have recently put a fleece blanket over the dash and down to the floor...makes a difference to keep the heat in (y)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Snow at the north of Spain although it might have gone. The border was clear of everything in France but the hilly bit in Spain was really thick, Just for fun going down we went over the Andorra way, fuel is really cheap but a long way up and down, about a mtere of snow there and lots of really bad parkers on the road.
We were thinking if driving iove there for some skiing. Did you see any resorts?

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
and I've also got another large curtain to fit behind the cab too so we can close it off to keep the rest of the camper warmer -

We did the same in our rear lounge A/S Broadway, just wedged a suitable length curtain pole with lined curtains up, we don't need the cab seats either, also we don't have to close the blinds at night either.Much warmer and more cosy now.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
You are looking well prepared for the low temperatures...we have recently put a fleece blanket over the dash and down to the floor...makes a difference to keep the heat in (y)

We have a blanket I always put over the dash & down to the floor in the winter, cuts out a lot of draughty, but have to hook a portion of it up as the alarm sensor (detects movement in the van) can’t seem through it!
This winter we have bought a greenhouse tube heater and have that on the cab floor, has made a big difference!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Considering postponing the trip for a week or two but can't decide! :crying:

Weather here is atrocious ... absolutely piddling it down and cold but having a look at the Spanish weather forecast not sure it if's gonna be that much better on the Western side which is where we were heading for first, so might either have to go East or delay for a while ... I know we can't predict what it will be like in a couple of weeks but hopefully would be a bit better ... can't be doing with being stuck inside with 3 dogs ... I'm happy in the van whatever but the dogs will be climbing the walls! :Eeek:

Need to decide by 4.30 pm in order to alter the ET crossing (24 hours before booked crossing tomorrow) if we're not going yet!

Decisions, decisions ..... o_O

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Indecision over ... we're still going tomorrow! :Grin:

Been messing about trying to re-set the boiler to stop it dumping water ... it's a pain but managed to sort it finally and have put the water on gas to heat it up a bit so hopefully it won't dump overnight!

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Indecision over ... we're still going tomorrow! :Grin:

Been messing about trying to re-set the boiler to stop it dumping water ... it's a pain but managed to sort it finally and have put the water on gas to heat it up a bit so hopefully it won't dump overnight!
Enjoy!! Report back on the weather when you get there please. We're going in a few days but going south thru France and then along the med into Spain. Is that what you are terming the east side? We'll come back across Spain but not for a good few weeks. Can't wait now. In fact, we could go coz we're all ready.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Forecast here in Totana, south east Spain is to get warmer over the next week.

Screenshot_2018-02-10-22-04-09.png

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
Wet and windy tonight in Cité Europe. Sounded like a mini tsunami every so often earlier on when the water on the roof was blown around by a sudden gust. That's stopped now but only because the wind has blown all the water away.

Hope it's better for you and any other travellers tomorrow.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Enjoy!! Report back on the weather when you get there please. We're going in a few days but going south thru France and then along the med into Spain. Is that what you are terming the east side? We'll come back across Spain but not for a good few weeks. Can't wait now. In fact, we could go coz we're all ready.
We'll be going down past Paris on the East side then South to Pepignon before scooting down the East cost for a while, we've not done the upper East part of Spain so will have some new stuff to look at and hopefully a bit warmer weather there too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back