Thatcham cat 1 alarm recommendations anyone (1 Viewer)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Every quote ive had for insurance has listed the Strikeback as an option

Edit: but I too have a Cobra as it came with it.

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Plenty of people have recommended Strikeback. It's the market leading system and is accepted by every motorhome insurance company.

You're the one refusing those recommendations and attempting to convince everyone that Strikeback somehow doesn't meet the required standard.

What exactly is that meant to be if it's not a poor attempt at a hatchet job?

Two people recommended (plenty?) the strikeback, AND as far back as post number #5 after reading about it i had a query as to its suitability as the text on the 'recommended' alarm was confusing.

No hatchet job no axe to grind ,probably as DBK wrote earlier i am over analysing (of which i acknowledged) .

There are now other recommendations that i will consider and decide in due course what i need

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Why, he asked for a cat 1 and others suggested the strike back , as my insurance company have just asked me about a cat 1 (not sure if they have approved the strike back but will check Tomoz) but as @Bobby22 has said it has a 2-1 approval and God forbid anything happens it's not got approval for cat1 so potentially a get out clause (have to wait for Eddie to enlighten us) but at the end of the day cat 2-1 is not cat 1

Err, yes it is. It is an approved aftermarket alarm system which updates a Cat 2 (immobiliser) system to a Cat 1 (alarm and immobiliser) system. Once fitted, the vehicle is upgraded from Cat 2 to Cat 1.

Page 2 of the Thatcham document that's been quoted shows that Category 1 includes L1 (LCV - predominantly diesel), H1 (HGVs and Plant equipment, also predominantly diesel) and P1 (passenger car (mixed propulsion) fitments.

If you go through the document you will see that Van Bitz Strikeback is currently approved under both universal category 2 to 1 fitment policy (page 37) and LCV L2 to L1 policy (page 45).

If your van has a factory immobiliser it will already be Cat 2. Strikeback and any other Cat 2-1 alarm system upgrades the vehicle to Cat 1 after installation.

If you're looking for a pure Cat 1 system, you'll have trouble finding one since they are predominantly installed as original equipment by the vehicle manufacturer on the production line. Nearly all aftermarket alarms will be Cat 2-1 upgrades. Following installation of one of those systems, your vehicle will be protected to Cat 1.

Last edited:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Err, yes it is. It is an approved aftermarket alarm system which updates a Cat 2 (immobiliser) system to a Cat 1 (alarm and immobiliser) system. Once fitted, the vehicle is upgraded from Cat 2 to Cat 1.

Page 2 of the Thatcham document that's been quoted shows that Category 1 includes L1 (LCV - predominantly diesel), H1 (HGVs and Plant equipment, also predominantly diesel) and P1 (passenger car (mixed propulsion) fitments.

If you go through the document you will see that Van Bitz Strikeback is currently approved under both universal category 2 to 1 fitment policy (page 37) and LCV L2 to L1 policy (page 45).

If your van has a factory immobiliser it will already be Cat 2. Strikeback and any other Cat 2-1 alarm system upgrades the vehicle to Cat 1 after installation.

If you're looking for a pure Cat 1 system, you'll have trouble finding one since they are predominantly installed as original equipment by the vehicle manufacturer on the production line. Nearly all aftermarket alarms will be Cat 2-1 upgrades. Following installation of one of those systems, your vehicle will be protected to Cat 1.
Ok Thks for that info as I was thinking of getting the strike back but I wasn't aware it was 2-1 until Bobby mentioned it but you have cleared it up and will check with my insurance company Tomoz that they will accept it(y)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Whatever you decide, don't go for a wireless system.

Always insist that the connection between the sensors and the alarm black box are hard-wired. A hard-wired system is more expensive but much more reliable.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
I stopped at Vanbitz for a Strikeback installation on route to a holiday in Cornwall as its about 250 miles from me.

I'll be doing the same next year on route to a Devon holiday to have the GSM immobiliser fitted

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'll be doing the same next year on route to a Devon holiday to have the GSM immobiliser fitted

The Non Starter is a great bit of kit. Absolutely undefeatable unless you a) know it's there and b) either know where it's installed or know it's phone number (y)

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Out of all the insurance quotes I have had in the last few weeks (7 in total) , they only ask if it's cat 1 or cat 2 alarm, none have ever asked for the make or model, and either 1-2 or 2-1 , I have the sigma , and the same alarm has been fitted to my last 2 vans,both fitted in by Murvi and they are cat 1

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Out of all the insurance quotes I have had in the last few weeks (7 in total) , they only ask if it's cat 1 or cat 2 alarm, none have ever asked for the make or model, and either 1-2 or 2-1 , I have the sigma , and the same alarm has been fitted to my last 2 vans,both fitted in by Murvi and they are cat 1

You're overthinking this. There's no such thing as a Cat 2 alarm. Cat 2 only applies to immobilisers. Virtually all cars and vans currently manufactured for the UK market have Cat 2 immobilisers factory fitted as standard. The manufacturers fit them to meet the Thatcham vehicle assessment criteria. If they didn't, they would have difficulty obtaining satisfactory insurance ratings for the vehicles.

Sigma are a Cat 2-1 upgrade system the same as any other aftermarket alarm that meets the criteria, and when fitted your van has a Cat 1 alarm system.

The bottom line is, it doesn't matter how you get there as long as you've met Cat 1 once installed!

LadyBea

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Dumfries &Galloway
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 1994
We've used Dave @ auto sound leisure @Bradford previously, just had a reversing camera c/w sat Nav/radio fitted with him would thoroughly recommend them. We had the dealer fit the alarm wish we had waited & gone to Dave, he does a much better job.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

If they don't want details now you will find that if you ever need to make a theft related claim they will ask for the installation certificates for the alarm then. If you can't provide them you are likely to have problems with your claim.

I queried this the last time I renewed because the company gave me credit for Cat 1 alarm and Cat 5 tracker but didn't want any proof of installation.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I had an alarm fitted that upgraded the fiat factory immobiliser. I think this was called a 2-1 upgrade. Van is 2013. One of the insurers i contacted would not accept it. Even with thatcham docs they refused. I found other companies accepted the 2-1 and am currently insured with comfort. In my view you need to ask the specific question of the insurer if they accept 2-1 upgrade, ie using the factory fit immobiliser with an after market alarm.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Mine came with a Sigma S1 alarm on it, think it's been superseded now by a newer model but the Sigma unit seems fine. It is designed more as a car alarm, but works OK for the MH - a zapper activates the central locking on the cab as well as setting the alarm, I've got magnetics switches on all the MH doors (hab + 2 x garage), there's a switch on the bonnet, the cab doors work off the courtesy light switches plus there's two ultrasonic sensors on the dashboard for internal movement.

Probably the only slightly un-user-friendly bit for a MH is that to set the alarm without the ultrasonics, i.e. for when you're sleeping in the van, you have to turn the ignition on and press the zapper twice. Not exactly arduous, and we don't usually set it when we're asleep anyway, we're normally in locations where we're not too worried!

I'm sure the Strikeback is better but the Sigma unit seems OK. I've got a little keypad in the corner of the windscreen to manually override the system if the zapper ever packs up unexpectedly.
I got a sigma on mine don't like it sqweaks like a mouse and no code for keypad. Booked in to remove and replace with growler and non starter at vanbitz well worth the money IMHO gonna take a holiday in cornwalk devon week booked in as we love in Yorkshire

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We have a Cobra Alarm fitted by the supplying dealer, whom we bought the van from second hand. The alarm is Thatcham Cat 1 approved but the dealer has completed the certificate, but not signed it, as I understand they are not Thatcham approved installers

I therefore do not claim to have a Cat 1 alarm as it would give insurance companies wriggle room, and no alarm increased my premium by £19 last year

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I originally wanted the strikeback but with delays to delivery Vanbitz could not fit me in so for the insurance had to get one fitted. Got a local firm who fitted a Laserline alarm plus reed switches to hab and 2 other locker doors, ultrasonic to cab area and internal movement PIR. Excellent service and workmanship, can disable the internal sensors for night when sleeping, a lot cheaper than strikeback and they come to you. Chap knew all bout MH's as done many fittings and also knew about Fiat etc. I think strikeback has more features that are handy such as the led on the outside not the dashboard so it is visible at night but the rest I think is the same.

http://www.in-car-advancements.co.uk/ for anyone in essex who may be interested.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We have a Cobra Alarm fitted by the supplying dealer, whom we bought the van from second hand. The alarm is Thatcham Cat 1 approved but the dealer has completed the certificate, but not signed it, as I understand they are not Thatcham approved installers

I therefore do not claim to have a Cat 1 alarm as it would give insurance companies wriggle room, and no alarm increased my premium by £19 last year

It's not Cat 1 approved or Cat anything else unless it's installed by an approved installer so you are correct not to claim it as such.

As with anything like this the installation is as important as the kit. The bits and pieces themselves are only half of it, with some of them it's the way that they are installed that gives the rating.

I'm a little surprised that a dealer is selling a system like this without the approval to install and certificate it properly.

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Well peeps i took on the recomendations here and had a Strikeback fitted.
I did take a holiday down south as suggested by @Xabia for the purpose.

No i wasn't doing a hatchet job as implied by @NickNic

I would like to thank Ash and his team for the service they provided us and for the patience in answering all my questions.

Very tidy job and well pleased with what i've got

And no i have not yet set it off by mistake or blasted our doggies ears when left in the van.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back