Thatcham cat 1 alarm recommendations anyone (2 Viewers)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Mine came with a Sigma S1 alarm on it, think it's been superseded now by a newer model but the Sigma unit seems fine. It is designed more as a car alarm, but works OK for the MH - a zapper activates the central locking on the cab as well as setting the alarm, I've got magnetic switches on all the MH doors (hab + 2 x garage), there's a switch on the bonnet, the cab doors work off the courtesy light switches plus there's two ultrasonic sensors on the dashboard for internal movement.

Probably the only slightly un-user-friendly bit for a MH is that to set the alarm without the ultrasonics, i.e. for when you're sleeping in the van, you have to turn the ignition on and press the zapper twice. Not exactly arduous, and we don't usually set it when we're asleep anyway, we're normally in locations where we're not too worried!

I'm sure the Strikeback is better but the Sigma unit seems OK. I've got a little keypad in the corner of the windscreen to manually override the system if the zapper ever packs up unexpectedly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have a look at www.606060.com who do a MH alarm for about half the price of some of the competition. It meets your requirements being Cat 1 and you can add things like an internal siren etc if you want. It has a remote immobiliser and a tracker as part of the system. One of their selling points is they can come to your home and fit the alarm there. If you want to drive to York where they are based then you should be able to negotiate a discount.

They are coming to my house to fit an alarm to my MH later this month. I've chosen the Titanium version and have added window alarms as well, which are an extra for a smallish charge.

I'm not an expert but the system seems to offer what I want for considerably less than a certain heavily promoted alternative. :) Theft of MHs is still relatively rare, though it happens, but theft from them is a real risk and I've felt uncomfortable in a few places in Europe when we left the vehicle unattended. With the window alarms, 24 hour monitoring with a message to my phone, plus the internal PIR which we can disable when we leave the dog in the MH it should give me reasonable peace of mind.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
VW T4 Compass Calypso
Exp
Since 2007
http://www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk/

When I bought my MH, it only came with one fob. Sam at Abacus Alarms was able to not only provide me with two fobs but also upgrade the previously fitted META alarm for a little extra.

It was posted back to me straight away.

I know the OP isnt local, but Sam does mail order too.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Doesn't the strikeback have a cat 2-1 which, if i'm right in saying, isn't suitable for diesel engines........i'm sure @eddievanbitz will enlighten us.

I have had a Strikeback system installed on my 3 litre Fiat Ducato (diesel) since 2007 and can assure you that it works extremely well. You could take a holiday in the south of England and combine it with a visit to Vanbitz. Better to make a long trip once to save your motorhome being stolen than install a lesser product and risk it being stolen.

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Thatcham in Berkshire is the home of the ABI (Association of British Insurers) ‘Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre’ MIRRC. The engineers at MIRRC (known as Thatcham) test the quality of alarms systems against a given set of criteria. However, although guidelines are issued for the correct fitment of the alarms, there is no ‘policing or checks’ on the installations. Consequently, many ‘Thatcham’ alarms are installed by inexperienced or inept installers who get away with charging good money for poor work. Worse still are the engineers at Thatcham state very clearly that passenger car systems [Cat 1, 2-1, or 3] are not appropriate for installation onto diesel vans. A Category L1, L2-1 or L3 should be specified.

certTQA405.jpg

@NickNic you may want to read this...........taken from the vanbitz website.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thatcham in Berkshire is the home of the ABI (Association of British Insurers) ‘Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre’ MIRRC. The engineers at MIRRC (known as Thatcham) test the quality of alarms systems against a given set of criteria. However, although guidelines are issued for the correct fitment of the alarms, there is no ‘policing or checks’ on the installations. Consequently, many ‘Thatcham’ alarms are installed by inexperienced or inept installers who get away with charging good money for poor work. Worse still are the engineers at Thatcham state very clearly that passenger car systems [Cat 1, 2-1, or 3] are not appropriate for installation onto diesel vans. A Category L1, L2-1 or L3 should be specified.

certTQA405.jpg

@eddievanbitz was involved in writing those Thatcham standards for the ABI.

I think you'll find he knows what he's doing. (y)

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

certTQA405.jpg

Have you the link to the Thatcham site where what you say is written?

Edit: just done a bit of digging, Cat 1 just means a combined alarm and immobiliser. It can be fitted to any type of vehicle.

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Broken Link Removed

Sorry this looks better @DBK

Look at the paragraph on insurance

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What I was questioning was your interpretation of the Thatcham standards. I can't find any reference to the type of engine. A 2/1 or 2-1 system basically provides the same protection as Cat 1.

Another edit. Found a Thatcham pdf which talks about immobilisers for diesel engines which shut off the fuel supply. However, a modern diesel engine can be immobilised electronically so a fuel shut off is not required. The L1 etc types are not the only solution, they are just a sub-set of Cat 1 from my reading.

As mentioned above, VB know what they are doing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
@eddievanbitz was involved in writing those Thatcham standards for the ABI.

I think you'll find he knows what he's doing. (y)

It clearly reads in the text that a cat 2-1 should not be used on a diesel van

The strikeback has a cat 2-1 certificate

All from the vanbitz site.

I'm only trying to get myself a cat1 thatcham approved alarm for insurance purposes and the way i read the vanbitz piece looks wrong?.

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Doesn't the strikeback have a cat 2-1 which, if i'm right in saying, isn't suitable for diesel engines........i'm sure @eddievanbitz will enlighten us.
Thats incorrect. The Strikeback is an alarm system designed for motorhomes. Most of which have diesel engines.
You will also find that the Strikeback system is listed as approved by lots of insurance companies.

Edit: .. hmm I should get one

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It clearly reads in the text that a cat 2-1 should not be used on a deisel van

The strikeback has a cat 2-1 certificate

All fron the vanbitz site.

I'm only trying to get myself a cat1 thatcham approved alarm for insurance purposes and the way i read the vanbitz piece looks wrong?.
I think you are over analysing this. Just ask your insurer if a 2/1 system is acceptable. I think, if they know their stuff, they will say it is.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Have you the link to the Thatcham site where what you say is written?

Edit: just done a bit of digging, Cat 1 just means a combined alarm and immobiliser. It can be fitted to any type of vehicle.

Cat 1 is an alarm. Cat 2 is an immobiliser which is factory fitted to all new vehicles.

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
What I was questioning was your interpretation of the Thatcham standards. I can't find any reference to the type of engine. A 2/1 or 2-1 system basically provides the same protection as Cat 1
Yes, i agree, but in the write up from the vanbitz website it says quote........Thatcham very clearly states that car systems [cat 1 2-1 or 3] are not appropriate for installation to a deisel van. Instead you should have L1 ,L2 or L3.
According to the vanbitz website the 'strikeback' has a certificate for 2-1

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Cat 1 is an alarm. Cat 2 is an immobiliser which is factory fitted to all new vehicles.
Not according to my reading of the file attached below.

The 2-1 is the difficult one, it seems to mean an immobiliser upgraded with an alarm, but how that differs from Cat 1 escapes me, though it suggests a system which takes what is already fitted to the vehicle and upgrades it with aftermarket bits.

Attachments

• compliance.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not according to my reading of the file attached below.

The 2-1 is the difficult one, it seems to mean an immobiliser upgraded with an alarm, but how that differs from Cat 1 escapes me.

What is basically means is that a Cat 1 alarm is added to a vehicle with a manufacturer installed Cat 2 immobiliser without tampering with that immobiliser. That is treated as an upgrade to the existing immobiliser.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Yes, i agree, but in the write up from the vanbitz website it says quote........Thatcham very clearly states that car systems [cat 1 2-1 or 3] are not appropriate for installation to a deisel van. Instead you should have L1 ,L2 or L3.
According to the vanbitz website the 'strikeback' has a certificate for 2-1
The Strikeback is not a car system

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Does anyone else smell a rather large rat here?

Someone waits until Eddie is on holiday and unlikely to reply and then decides to attempt a hatchet job on a system thats been the market leader for many years.

I wonder what the ulterior motive is?

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
My current van came with a Cobra alarm with internal sensors which you can turn off at night. It's been OK and I haven't had any false alarms.

My previous van had a VanBitz Strikeback system with external LED's, which was also good and a bit more user friendly.

The Strikeback system continuously monitors the current going through the sensors. If the sensor (reed switch) becomes faulty, this can cause the alarm to go off. The reed switch is described as "normally closed" (NC) ie. with door/locker in the closed position.

The Cobra system is more basic (bit like car alarms) and is based on the system whereby the reed switch is "normally open" (NO) ie. with door/locker in the closed position.

Both systems have their merits, but having experienced both systems, I'd go for the simpler and possibly cheaper Cobra type of system. Having said that, the major cost of any alarm system is the labour cost of actually installing the system - and Eddie does a good job.

PS. If you purchase an alarm based on the "normally open" principle, you need to check it occasionally to make sure that opening of any locker/door triggers the alarm.

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013

Someone waits until Eddie is on holiday and unlikely to reply and then decides to attempt a hatchet job on a system thats been the market leader for many years.

What are YOU talking about........the ulterior motive is i am looking for a cat 1 thatcham approved alarm for my motorhome for insurance purposes.

I asked on this forum, that i have been a member of all my motorhoming life, for recomendations for an alarm.

I have not and do not intend to do any hatchet job on any system.

If you don't understand what we're discussing don't get involved.

In my opinion the text on vanbitz's website states exactly what i have said.

I started this thread asking for recomendations..........you haven't helped one bit.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

Why, he asked for a cat 1 and others suggested the strike back , as my insurance company have just asked me about a cat 1 (not sure if they have approved the strike back but will check Tomoz) but as @Bobby22 has said it has a 2-1 approval and God forbid anything happens it's not got approval for cat1 so potentially a get out clause (have to wait for Eddie to enlighten us) but at the end of the day cat 2-1 is not cat 1

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What are YOU talking about........the ulterior motive is i am looking for a cat 1 thatcham approved alarm for my motorhome for insurance purposes.

I asked on this forum, that i have been a member of all my motorhoming life, for recomendations for an alarm.

I have not and do not intend to do any hatchet job on any system.

If you don't understawhat we're discussing don't get involved.

In my opinion the text on vanbitz's website states exactly what i have said.

I started this thread asking for recomendations..........you haven't helped one bit.

Plenty of people have recommended Strikeback. It's the market leading system and is accepted by every motorhome insurance company.

You're the one refusing those recommendations and attempting to convince everyone that Strikeback somehow doesn't meet the required standard.

What exactly is that meant to be if it's not a poor attempt at a hatchet job?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back