TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
So there we were, bowling happily along the A55 at around 55 mph in the pouring rain when........

Stepladder2.jpg

With less than a second notice (it came from under the van in front of me, he'd hit it too) I could only hope. Fortunately it missed the wheels but there were a few bangs and crashes although no immediate problems became evident. I pulled in to a handy emergency layby to check but no damage evident. Until I noticed water pouring out of the fresh water tank, it had broken the drain plug.

We were on our way home anyway and a thorough underneath inspection has shown no further damage - lucky or what? And I've even managed to effect a repair which I'll check when the sealant is set.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
What is it? A bike rack?)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
:eek: What on earth is it? Glad the damage wasn’t too bad and you got home safely. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It happens so fast - time seems to slow down but not so slow that you can react.

Glad no one was hurt and that the damage is minimal.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Glad all was well and no serious damage ...somebody was looking out for you up there ...

Kath
ps do you have to notify the police or ought about it ?

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
It's an ironing board. I thought there was a law about ironing on the Public Highway?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
That is spooky, we just missed a wooden step ladder on the motorway from Belgium to Calais today. Lazy builders or DIY'ers not securing their kit properly.

Glad there was not too much damage Terry.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
brings a new meaning to "can you sod off with that ironing board"

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sorry, thought it was obvious - well it was to me! Yes it's a small aluminium stepladder, no idea where it came from, 'twas pouring with rain and it appeared from under the van in front. No idea where it went either, I was going too fast to think about causing more chaos by doing an emergency stop.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Last summer I was travelling along the A27 towards Lewes at about 55 when an inflatable dinghy and its rack slid off the VW Beetle in front. It somersaulted along erratically then bounced clean over my car but looking in my mirror there was stuff going everywhere; anchor, ropes, paddles, bucket, fishing rods, floorboards. The car behind me swerved onto the grass verge and missed the dinghy but all hell broke out with the cars behind him braking, swerving and running into each other. I didn't stop as there wasn't anything I could do and there was quite enough carnage already. Five minutes later I had to stop and take a few large breaths though.

OP
OP
TerryL

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The wife hates strong winds. A good few years ago the wind blew an advertising hoarding straight into her path where it hit the radiator. Six inches higher and it would have been through the windscreen..............

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Came up behind a flat bed HGV a couple of weeks agoon the M6 he was on his limiter at 57 and I was catching at 65 ish.
Suddenly a dirty breeze block skittered off the back of him and came bouncing down the tarmac towards me. At the last moment it bounced up ( like a rugby ball does) and cleared my bonnet on the way to the plumb middle of my ‘screen....

It was a dirty car-wash sponge.......but adrenaline is definately brown

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Last summer I was travelling along the A27 towards Lewes at about 55 when an inflatable dinghy and its rack slid off the VW Beetle in front. It somersaulted along erratically then bounced clean over my car but looking in my mirror there was stuff going everywhere; anchor, ropes, paddles, bucket, fishing rods, floorboards. The car behind me swerved onto the grass verge and missed the dinghy but all hell broke out with the cars behind him braking, swerving and running into each other. I didn't stop as there wasn't anything I could do and there was quite enough carnage already. Five minutes later I had to stop and take a few large breaths though.

Surely you were the witness to the car losing its load and could have provided that information and the car number to the police and then the liability would have fallen on the guilty party and not had a load of people losing their no claims etc. Not very public spirited IMHO!

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I was driving North on the A1 from Stirling Corner a few years ago when a large wooden wardrobe flew off the roof rack of a car two in front of me. It bounced between me and the car in front then landed behind me. I was sprayed with just splinters and no damage. I can confirm the @Cheshirecat57 ’s colour identification for adrenaline though.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Hope nerves have settled now Terry.
We passed a roof rack bar on the A23 motorway in Spain today.
Heading back to sell the van and it makes you so aware of any problems on the road!!!

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I hit a double mattress on a dual carriageway it had just flown off a skip wagon luckily it was flat but never the less scary.:confused:

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
About 20 years ago, a window cleaner was coming towards me, when his ladder lifted off his roof rack and came onto my bonnet and smashed the window screen

I still think what could have happened if it had come through the window, end on

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Surely you were the witness to the car losing its load and could have provided that information and the car number to the police and then the liability would have fallen on the guilty party and not had a load of people losing their no claims etc. Not very public spirited IMHO!
In those few seconds, noting the car's reg'n number wasn't foremost in my mind. Fortunately the alert Beetle driver noticed his 12 foot dinghy and roof rack slide off his roof. ;)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Many years ago we were travelling on a dual carriageway in Belgium in the camper. A car transporter overtook us at speed, full of beaten-up cars.

A bit further down the road, one of the cars fell off the transporter, did a lovely spin and came to rest across the fast lane. It was an old Citroen DS19. The transporter driver was oblivious to what had happened. We chased after him but couldn't catch him. A car driver managed to catch up with him and flagged him down.

Hopefully nobody crashed into the driverless car - we shall never know. Expect the police threw the book at the transporter driver !!!

It was a scary moment I'll never forget - could have been a lot worse if it had happened just as he passed us.

xgx

Free Member
Jul 7, 2016
North Cambs/South Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
umptynine years
Had damage to my underslung 'plastic' water tank ...£1200+ vat + fitting
sorted locally ...£300 to have it welded :)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
WE were going through Rouen once and a car pulling a large motorbike on a small trailer joined the motorway from one of those sharply curved slip roads. As it did so the retaining straps must have broken and the bike came off and slid towards us. For some reason I'd noticed the bike start to go and had started to move to the outside lane (without looking), before the bike actually came off. Fortunately we just missed the bike, and even more fortunately the car coming up to overtake us managed to avoid us. God knows what would have happened if I hadn't noticed in time.

Malcolm

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back