Thanks To Knowlegeable Funsters... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Funster Robert Clark brought our attention to the Varta DLF 90 dual purpose batteries and what made them perform so well.

Further research made me decide they were exactly what I needed, but how do I get my hands on some without bankrupting myself with the cost of getting them here?

Super Funsters offered to help but then...

Funster BreweryDave posted that Varta deliver throughout Europe via their depot in Holland (only £30 for two batteries delivered to Central Portugal)

So, now pension day has come, I will be ordering two (to start with) today.

Knowledge is power.

Thanks guys.

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thank you for thanking me @JJ

It was @Hagstrom who enlightened me, so in turn I'd like to thank him.

I've got 6 of the little beauties waiting to go into my new van. I reckon they're the best leisure batteries that nobody has ever heard of.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
And don't forget to thank Tanya whoever she is. ( or is that classed as criticising spelling ;) )

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Are you sure Sir?

Totally sure
There is a small opening on both sides of the battery
There is a blanking plug attached to one of the terminal covers
Only one vent is required

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Two vent holes
One each side

IMG_8387.JPG

Vent blank plug moulded into terminal cover

IMG_8388.JPG

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We've got two, as well. Never had any problems with them. We can easily go for at least 4 days without hook-up, and we don't have a solar panel. Glad I read this thread, never realised they were so good :D. I thought all batteries were just like thato_O.

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Of course you are right about the venting, Mr Robert Clark. I got muddled with not needing to top up the electrolyte.

Of course I never doubted you really!

At 3.15 pm today (Mon August 7th) I ordered two DLF 90 Varta "Professional" leisure batteries via Tayna Batteries' website using PalPal, and the total cost, including delivery to Portugal, came to £216.

I plan to keep Funsters informed of the progress of this purchase.

I have never ever paid so much for batteries before... I have always been a "lowest priced battery purchaser" before, but one just can't get these "bargain" batteries here.

I am currently running on an old cheap battery and an expensive new car battery linked together and I have electricity, but not that much.

I am hoping with the new set up, I will be able to make more use of my Engle compressor fridge in this very hot weather.

Man plans and God laughes.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If the worst happens JJ, can I please have your collection of fine and rare FB pie tins?

Seriously though, from my limited knowledge, I understand that they're only likely to gas if they were charging very very quickly.
Does that sound right?

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
no robert ,that does not sound at all right.
if they are taking a charge -they will produce gas,
and even when stationary they will produce a small amount of gas.
i have blown up a battery when using a grinder and would not wish to do it again.
take care !!

ps jj s old fb tins are not fit for the dog,and are certainly neither collectable or rare,
can i suggest that you see someone to advise on a more ludicrous thing to collect?

Last edited:

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
At 10.53 am today I received an email from Tayna Batteries informing my batteries were ready for collection by the courier who would probably pick them up today.

They gave me a tracking number along with a PDF of the invoice.

I like this company...

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Heck, I havent vented mine !?

As most of the vents go down I do not really believe they will work that well with hydrogen as it can get through very small holes and always wants to go UP, one is the reason hydrogen filled airships worked and the other is why they had a tendency to go up in flames

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
As most of the vents go down I do not really believe they will work that well with hydrogen as it can get through very small holes and always wants to go UP, one is the reason hydrogen filled airships worked and the other is why they had a tendency to go up in flames
so does natural gas but it works in basement or when the meter is high on the wall its the pressure that moves it in a pipe

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
so does natural gas but it works in basement or when the meter is high on the wall its the pressure that moves it in a pipe

Indeed but the hydrogen is normally not being evolved in large volumes to create a flow through the pipe, rather it is produced slowly giving plenty of time for the gas to escape before reaching ghe end of the pipe. Mind you very few vans are particay gas tight so the stuff quickly finds it's way to the atmosphere

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back