Thank you (1 Viewer)

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those Funsters for the advice they have given me during the past months whilst I have been having battery troubles. Considering I am a numpty when it come to electrics of any sort. You have been very patience with me. I knew ( note I said knew not know ) nothing about multimeters and clamp meters. But with your very valued advice. Today I found out what was making my cab battery flatten after 10-15 days. It was the radio I left it on thinking that when I switched the radio off there would be no power to it. It has a drain even when the ignition is switched off. I have also found out how to check the voltage coming out of the battery charger and why the fuse kept blowing (7) fuses later. Too low a voltage on the cab battery only 4.2 volts. Used the wife’s car Ford Fusion to put some charge into the MH battery left it connected for 15 minutes occasionally taking it up to 2.5k revs for 30 seconds this put enough charge into the MH for me to start it after disconnecting the jump leads. You should have seen the smile on my face. I checked the charge going into the cab battery on idle it was 14.2 volts. So packed everything away. I then turned to the trickle charger I plugged it in and put the clamp meter onto the crock clips and it showed 4.7 volts but only the 6 volt light was showing. Then connected it to the cab battery crossed my fingers and plugged it into a socket in the van and lo an behold all the lights lit upon the trickle charger. O f**k I expected a loud bang. But no it was the trickle charger settings it’s self (smart little bit of kit) It settled down to show 12volts I made sure that the charger is on a metal plate in case it gets hot. Locked the van and went indoors with an even larger grin on my face. Wifey said what you smiling about. When I told her she said see,you are never too old to learn.
I hope that this post might help some other lost in the weird world of 12v electricity it has been a very very satisfying day, thanks again Funsters.

Vic

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Great.
With such an eclectic membership there's always knowledgeable help, whether it's flat batteries, Bitcoin investment, duff fridges, arthritis, toilet additives, tenancy agreements, ALDI offers or treatment for rose wilt.

Plus it's always satisfying to read about others' misfortunes. ;)

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those Funsters for the advice they have given me during the past months whilst I have been having battery troubles. Considering I am a numpty when it come to electrics of any sort. You have been very patience with me. I knew ( note I said knew not know ) nothing about multimeters and clamp meters. But with your very valued advice. Today I found out what was making my cab battery flatten after 10-15 days. It was the radio I left it on thinking that when I switched the radio off there would be no power to it. It has a drain even when the ignition is switched off. I have also found out how to check the voltage coming out of the battery charger and why the fuse kept blowing (7) fuses later. Too low a voltage on the cab battery only 4.2 volts. Used the wife’s car Ford Fusion to put some charge into the MH battery left it connected for 15 minutes occasionally taking it up to 2.5k revs for 30 seconds this put enough charge into the MH for me to start it after disconnecting the jump leads. You should have seen the smile on my face. I checked the charge going into the cab battery on idle it was 14.2 volts. So packed everything away. I then turned to the trickle charger I plugged it in and put the clamp meter onto the crock clips and it showed 4.7 volts but only the 6 volt light was showing. Then connected it to the cab battery crossed my fingers and plugged it into a socket in the van and lo an behold all the lights lit upon the trickle charger. O f**k I expected a loud bang. But no it was the trickle charger settings it’s self (smart little bit of kit) It settled down to show 12volts I made sure that the charger is on a metal plate in case it gets hot. Locked the van and went indoors with an even larger grin on my face. Wifey said what you smiling about. When I told her she said see,you are never too old to learn.
I hope that this post might help some other lost in the weird world of 12v electricity it has been a very very satisfying day, thanks again Funsters.

Vic

And that’s why it’s sometimes called ELEKTRICARY
by some
(well me really no one else would care admit it though )
(y) :RollEyes::whistle2::rofl::rofl:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Isn't it nice to get some feedback now and again?
Thanks for taking the trouble and let's all hope that your future trips are happy and carefree.
And if not there's always a bunch of know-it-alls knocking around here!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back