LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
a very big hand to you jim. Well done. You never ever realise you miss something until its gone

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Cheers Jim - don't think you really appreciate this site until it's gone.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I am in Ireland and thought it was just my connection......

THANKS JIM

I know I miss you when you are not here :cry:

Keep up the good work and lets hope the scumbag get his / her reward for this - Lets hope its in the line of self implosion.

Sonja

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Well played, Sir Jim! Only thirty hours, maybe but it was a very long thirty hours for us, and must have been an eternity for you...

I'm not one who puts NBFs ahead of old friends, but in the few months that I've been pouring verbal diarrrhoea onto your site, it's been great to have so many friends, whom I'll never meet, with their feet on the ground and their heads in the clouds.

And all of this, Jim Lad, stems from you.

So first , thanks to you,(and any team, even if it's only your mirror) for sorting out this little local problem, and more thanks for the whole site. Remember, fellow Funsters, that a friend in need is someone to avoid.

Fun is always bloody hard work...

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Its been a bad month, we had the virus injection on Christmas day, our host had a power cut last week and now this:cry::cry:
I think yesterday was the longest Sunday of my life. Soo frustrating:Sad:
Wow it was good to see the sites front page appear today though::bigsmile:

I'm not sure if it's actually possible to answer this question Jim, but bearing in mind that you need to used single cyllables for a self confessed 'puter luddite like me, :ROFLMAO:, what do they actually DO when this happens and how in Gods name do ypu put things right? Do people like you who run Forums have to be computer genius, or is there some sort of "help desk" that you can turn to?

Thanks for all your hard work mate.:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thanks Jim, you had me worried I thought that the bailiffs had pulled the plug. Great job. :beer:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Praise be to our Master Lord Jim....

Because of all the fun I was having on Fun I ran up a huge internet bill last month.

So my Portuguese friends got my contract changed so I can now be online all the time, unlimited use, faster speed. The new contract didn't start until after midnight on Sunday.

Of course I go straight onto MHF and nothing!!!

But all is well now... all's well that ends well... now where are the Dynamic Duo?

THANK YOU JIM.

JJ

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Thanks Jim

Was starting to get withdrawl symptons had to do my 12 hour nightshift with out my fix of M/F had the shakes all night and had to get up today to check if it was working:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gerry

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm not sure if it's actually possible to answer this question Jim, but bearing in mind that you need to used single cyllables for a self confessed 'puter luddite like me, :ROFLMAO:, what do they actually DO when this happens and how in Gods name do ypu put things right? Do people like you who run Forums have to be computer genius, or is there some sort of "help desk" that you can turn to?

Thanks for all your hard work mate.:thumb:

I wish there was a genius we could turn to. ::bigsmile: We have to work it all out ourselves as the servers are unmanaged. So that means going to forums and asking etc. The providers can offer help at £140 per hour and I have used this a few times:cry::cry: Trying to get any help yesterday was useless, Ideally a novice like me should have managed servers, so if something goes wrong you have help, but managed servers to the spec of this one will cost us around £750 a month:Eeek: rather than the £275 a month we pay now. So you get what you pay for.

Early this morning the servers hard drives were formatted we then did a clean install of Linux. Then sat praying that the backups were solid and they did not fall down during the restore. :Smile:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Early this morning the servers hard drives were formatted we then did a clean install of Linux. Then sat praying that the backups were solid and they did not fall down during the restore. :Smile:

Yeah right Jim!:Eeek: I stayed with you as far as "early this morning".
'fraid I lost it after that!:ROFLMAO:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Wouldn't want to be in your boots. I don't think thankyou is enough, but THANK YOU.
I do wonder if this is not the time to be thinking of a registration fee.
Just a thought.

Don

Apr 30, 2008
aldridge
Funster No
MH
waiting
Exp
8yrs
THANK YOU Jim!

Had a very stressful day yesterday had to do some jobs in the house.

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
A big THANK YOU to Jim and the team

Al & Gill

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
I do wonder if this is not the time to be thinking of a registration fee.
Just a thought.

Don

I for one would be happy to pay a sub at least if it paid for the managed service

£750 per month = £9000 per year

A nominal website fee to help keep it up and running especially as this episode shows what can happen and what Jim and co have to go through to get it back up and running.

at a £5 per annum sub as long as there were 1800 sub members the managed service would be paid for

Indeed a thought

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Hi Jim a very big thankyou for getting motorhomefun up and running again. We have been members for just over 6months now and visit you everyday. Our daughter who is disabled enjoys the arcade and she checks the new posts for people she has met,
its a great community that we enjoy and hope to meet more of you at the meets. So once again a big THANKYOU.

Kath Bill & Amanda (Ambilkate) :Smile:

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Jim once again you have shown us all how much work,and hard earned cash,to run a succesful site like fun really takes.I know you set this site up to be free and informative,where like minded funsters and motorhomers can ask and give advice on anything and everything, but how many times are you going to be able to put up with the nightmare you just had to sort out? Thats why i agree with toffsg and think a yearly sub would be a good thing. If this is not a idea you think worth introducing what about a donations post where funsters can make a donation of whatever they want,if they want.Once again jim thanks for all the hard work :thumb:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Many thanks Jim from all of the WIRES. When the site was still down this morning things started to get a little fraught with disagreements as to why the flaming computers /server/connection wasn't working. I support the idea of a voluntary sub to pay for a managed site. once again thank you and well done.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Really missed the fun site yesterday, glad it's back up and running again
thanks Jim:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
This is the most positive feel-good forum I have ever come across. The banter is non-stop, any ribbing is delightfully light-hearted and the assistance given is pretty special. You're a truly lovely bunch of folks and it all starts at the top with the forum's creator and administrator.

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Thanks Jim keep up the good work

But I wish I knew what this Dark side is that is often mentioned :roflmto::roflmto:

Bill

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
  • WELL DONE JIM
A BIG THANK YOU FROM ME
:thanks2:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I suppose it is good that everyone is thanking you Jim but I am angry. Damn it man, no motorhome fun. I had to talk to SWMBO instead.

Just kidding. Well done for getting it back in one peace.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
What more can I say that has not been already said.

Cheers mate:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back